General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light blinks on rev of engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:54 AM
Bigr2645
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light blinks on rev of engine

I am working on a evo and have a led cat eye tail light and when I rev motor the tail light will blink with rpm. I replaced tail light and still the same the turn signals which is reg blubs don't blink. At 2000 RPM running about 14.50 volts coming to battery. cleaned all terminals grounds and positive sides. checked all wiring and when bike is off light works fine but running it is the problem. Need some help on what is causing this problem.
Thanks
Randy

Old 09-30-2016, 09:24 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I was thinking about putting a LED bulb in my Dyna, which is an evo, tail light. I have LED lights all the way around on the Heritage which is a T/C with no problems. I'll be interested in how this works out for ya.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:04 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigr2645
I am working on a evo and have a led cat eye tail light and when I rev motor the tail light will blink with rpm. I replaced tail light and still the same the turn signals which is reg blubs don't blink. At 2000 RPM running about 14.50 volts coming to battery. cleaned all terminals grounds and positive sides. checked all wiring and when bike is off light works fine but running it is the problem. Need some help on what is causing this problem.
Thanks
Randy
Since we can not see the situation, maybe you could give a little more information.
Working on an EVO: what year and model ?
You have an LED cat eye:
Maybe a link to the product so we can get an idea.
You replaced the tail light:
Does this mean you returned to the original factory light assembly and bulbs?
The turn signals do not blink with regular bulbs in factory assembly..correct?
Since it happens only when motor is on:
LED is very directional, if looking straight at light a little vibration could be interpreted as blinking but you have a turn signal issue reported.
What meter are you using to measure voltage?
It is also possible that your voltage regulator is allowing too much voltage to pass.
Do these issues only happen with motor running but all is OK when motor is OFF and only using battery voltage?

Old 09-30-2016, 03:31 PM
Bigr2645
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking light

ok its a SS 113 motor custom bike Vengeance came with same cat eye light and it is ok when not running. even hooked up old cat eye light back up and old one does the same thing. regulator is pushing 14.50 range at 2000 RPM plan on unhooking regulator tonight and see if that helps. using a fluke to check.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Wiring issue somewhere or one of the contacts down in the bulb socket in light is losing contact with vibration , had a few like that with aftermarket stuff or older Oem that corroided a bit in the socket.