General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel management system or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:05 AM
Juicer7
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel management system or not

Hello to everyone
I just traded my 2008 ultra for a new 2016 ultra limited It has screamin eagle slip ons but no other upgrades so i've got the dealer doing stage1 and my question is would it be feasible to use a fuel management system with the stage1.
Looking forward to all replies.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel management system or not-img_0039.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 06:12 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

without some sort of fuel management (aka tuning) it isn't really a stage 1.

yes, you would benefit from it. there are many options, from xieds, to some sort of flash tuner, to the thundermax complete ecm replacement. for the full benefit, a dyno tune would be optimum. if you go that route, find out what your dyno tuner is most comfortable with and go that way. if you aren't going to dyno, then there's pages and pages of info here for you to read up on and decide what features you want.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:20 AM
Juicer7
5th Gear

Thank you
The dealer stated that with stage 1 done it wouldn't be needed however the dealer doesn't always know . I have a 4 yr warranty and don't want any complications if something goes wrong on the bike. Any other thoughts on this.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:08 AM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

When I bought my 2012 RKC it had stage 1 including a stage one tune at the dealer. I put on a Cobra Powerpro Black, http://www.cobrausa.com/inside_cobra...powrpro_black/ and the difference in acceleration was noticeably improved. Some prefer more ability to tweak settings, such as with the PCV tuner, but I prefer plug and play. The powerpro self adjusts so if I make any future changes to exhaust or intake I am still good to go. I a person wants to manually adjust fuel ratios it can also be done with the powerpro using the app and bluetooth. The powerpro is fuel management only, and again some want more ability to tune ignition etc. Install is simple, raise the back of the tank a bit to get access to injector connectors, as well as the connectors behind the right side cover, connect power to battery and good to go. I am happy with what I bought.

Last edited by T Man; 01-24-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:36 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Hey Juicer, I highly recommend a fuel management for your bike. As a matter of fact, I just installed one on my bike this past weekend.

Some of the things that this has fixed on my bike:

Coming off of idle, it had a dead spot in the acceleration that required a bit more throttle. Not a problem when accelerating to a decent speed but a nightmare when stuck in traffic at crawl speed. It required constant fiddling with the clutch and throttle to move the bike just enough otherwise it moved too fast. I hear that the new M8 has this same problem or maybe even worse.

Bikes without the FM run hotter. I have a '14 softail so the rear piston is right below my leg. This makes the bike even hotter and more uncomfortable to ride in hot weather. The bike is running much cooler now.

Torque and acceleration- Wow, did I get some of that or what! The bike feels like a whole new bike. I accelerated at a light a bit too fast and it scared the hell out of me. I've had the bike for a year now and never before did I get this type of performance out of it. The FM really woke up the bike.

The sound coming from the bike is different now. A bit deeper and less nasal. specially when releasing the throttle, before it had this whining sound as it decelerated. now it sounds deeper and much better.

Acceleration through the different speed ranges feels stronger and better. Before it felt like it would "surge" at cruise speed, not a constant engine pull but more like spikes in power, like the engine would pull then slow then pull then slow. Now it is just one solid pull.

And all of the above was just noticed within two days of riding that I did this weekend. I can only imagine what else I will find that has improved. By the way, I installed the Vance & Hynes FP3. I haven't done an autotune but will do so when the weather gets better. I can't see how it will improve the ride but I am curious nonetheless.

The following users liked this post:
Juicer7 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Juicer7
5th Gear

Thank you for all the well informed replies.
A big thanks to Labrador great feedback and that was the system i was considering. I also looked at the cobra as suggested by T man However i like the VH FP price and overall responses regarding their (VH) product. Skratch thanks for the info i helped.