General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for a Salesman

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Floridafred
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tips for a Salesman

ORIGINAL: tom_hd

Hi

I will be joining a new HD dealership from August. I have read all the good & bad experiences in the forum. My question is this: What tips can you as customers give me?? What do you expect from a salesman?? What do you like/dislike about a salesman???

I will really appreciate your feedback on this as i will be using this info to deliver a better service.
Certainly honesty and product knowledge rate high. When I bought my bike I initially had mixed feelings about the salesman I dealt with. There were a couple things he didn't know that I thought he should. Played a few salesman games which I thought to be disrespectful. "Sign this paper if you might be willing to purchase a bike today." But he was very straightforward and I think honest. When he didn't know the answer to something he went and got a parts guy or service guy that did. I put a lot of extras on my bike and he arranged for a meeting between me, the parts manager and the service manager to coordinate everything. I gotta tell you that everything did not run smooth and I had to get some higher ups involved to straighten some things out. But through it all the salesman put in the effort. He gave me his personal cell phone number and called me several times after delivery to check on things. Whenever, I'm in the area I stop in and say hello. I guess the lesson here might be that no one is perfect. Be an advocate for the customer. As long as your selling bikes the boss will love you.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:20 AM
cbigbie191
Road Master

Be honest and most of all don't be a d@#k. My salesman took the time to fit me to a bike, not fit what he needed to sell to me. If you are upfront and honest, don't push at all!! you will sell more bikes that way. If your a nice guy people will remember you, you might not sell a bike that day buy you will sell more in the long run when your customers remember "that guy at the dealer who was cool".

Old 06-09-2007, 02:33 AM
wannavee
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been selling all of my employed life and selling cars for the last 8 years plus I have sold bikes at two dealerships 3 yearscombined (though not since '93). Most of the advice given here so far is well meant but only applicable to selling to the person writing it. My best advice is this, two ears one mouth. Please listen to your customer. Most people will come in and tell you excactly how to sell to them if you will just listen. Don't be in a hurry to talk, listen. Most sales can be made by not screwing up the sale that the customer came in to give you. Don't get in the way of letting the customer buy what they came in to buy in the first place. Listen listen listen!

Old 06-14-2007, 11:47 PM
shredhd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell them a bike that they can handle. dont push baggers on new riders. also remember, a satisfied customer will send in a buddy to but a bike if he feels that you treated him square. I used a dealer up in the northeast, treated me square, 3 more friends bought from them because my experience was positive. we are all happy. They all treat us like we were their first customers not the last ones. Follow up is also critical. even when we are headed to the parts counter, they stop us to make sure all scooters are o.k. we only deal with salesman once so make sure your service mgr is introduced to new buyer at time of sale.. good luck.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:43 AM
wild wally
Road Master

I don't know if you've been in sales before but...

Remembermotorcycles are expensive toys for most, not necessities. You're gonna get a lot of people that come in and look 10 or 20times before they buy, so be patient. Learn their names and sincerely make friends. Establish trust with excellent product knowledge. Learn to use the "trial close" to tell when they're ready, and don't be afraid to ask for the sale.

Wally