General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been looking for the Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:21 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FolsomPrisonBlues
DON"T GET A SPORTSTER!! It is an entry-level chick bike. You will be getting rid of it within a few years. This is such a rookie mistake....you have probably watched one too many episodes of Sons of Anarchy and/or American Chopper. You think you want to be a bad-*** biker. You are a FOOL if you get a Sportster. Real bikers laugh at you. Do not do it, spend the extra money and get a Dyna at least. Do not make this mistake, regardless of what any pinhead on this forum tells you. They are posers and have zero clue....
Whoa !. My first bike. Call me a Rookie. Not a chick bike. Didn't get rid of mine. Hate SOA shows. Yeah, I'm a Bad *** !. I spend a lot of money on my 1st HD bike I ever owned. Got so many clues that carried me for the last 15 years. By any means, I'm no pinhead or a poser. Here's my Sporty that I still ride when my Ultra wants a break.

OMG...Give the OP a break.

Thorey

Attached Thumbnails Been looking for the Sportster-sporty.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by DeafUltra:
baka1969 (06-21-2017), hd_usa (06-22-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 11:45 AM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Do you have to have a new bike is the question?
I had a sporty, loved it, but you never will be done spending money on it to upgrade.
A dyna is a bigger sporty, but you finish your upgrades quicker, or do none at all depending on the model you buy.
The biggest plus is gas tank!

Old 06-21-2017, 11:56 AM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

You're getting every opinion under the sun. I can't tell you what to do, but offer my experience.

My first HD was a new 2013 Iron 883. Wish I still had it. Loved that bike, put 19,500 miles on it in 3 years. Many many highway miles, around town, everywhere. Lots of memories made. I poured a ton of money into it. Shocks, seat, sissy bar, highway pegs, full stage 1 with tuner, etc etc etc. I'd still have it except contrary to popular wisdom, the engines are NOT bulletproof. At least mine wasn't.

Despite being perfectly maintained, it developed a wrist pin failure. I ended up trading it at a loss and got into a 2016 Street bob.

Really, I'm more into two up now with the wife, and the Sportster was marginal at best on longer rides two up. The Street Bob is like night and day on the highway two up. More motor, six speed, better suspension, etc etc.

Having said that, the Sportster just felt right. I don't regret getting the Sporty, not at all. Figure out what kind of riding you will mostly do, and go from there.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:58 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Here's my Sporty that I still ride when my Ultra wants a break.
Nice bike!

The following users liked this post:
DeafUltra (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Thorey
Thorey, could you post some detail on that dual instrument layout? I've been wondering about the best way to add a tach to my 1200C; thought that big single riser would have to go, but notice yours is still there. I like that white and chrome, too.

DeafUltra (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 05:44 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Thorey, could you post some detail on that dual instrument layout? I've been wondering about the best way to add a tach to my 1200C; thought that big single riser would have to go, but notice yours is still there. I like that white and chrome, too.
The detail you request is Pure Stock right out of the HD Factory Catalog. Speedometer on the left and Tachometer on the right. Don't know if HD's still selling them for the new Sportsters. Single riser came with the bike when I purchased it way back in 2002.

Fell in love with Pearl White when I first saw it on a Fat Boy. Ordered the Sporty in Fall of 2001, bought all the HD Chrome parts through-out the winter, picked the bike up in May and installed them all one whole day. During the winter of 2003-04, Installed Wide Rear Tire Kit and chrome dipped a few more parts. Any more questions...Please feel free to ask.

Thorey

Imold (06-23-2017)