General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Jacket - FXRG, Fox Creek or...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:20 AM
UKNixter
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Fox Creek and a Vanson mark 2 cobra. The fox Creek is high quality heavy leather. The harder you treat it, the more it likes it. That is a forever jacket. It's a bit warm in hot southern California summers, so I have the Vanson which is perforated and is so cool it makes you forget you have it on. This is my second Vanson, but only because m u last got a little tight,......no fault of the jacket!! I have had a lot of cheaper leathers, but you definitely get what you pay for. Whatever you choose, don't go budget it will save you money in the long run.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:21 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

This is an old thread

Langlitz

Custom bench made (leather or goat skin)
Designed by riders
American made
You buy quality once

Old 05-05-2018, 06:32 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,230 Likes on 2,948 Posts

I never thought I'd spend that kind of dough on a jacket, but my FXRG jacket is the best riding jacket I've owned. It's a very versatile riding jacket. Its the warmest I've ever owned and cool enough to use up to 70 degrees, so far. I haven't had warm enough weather to know if it's useful higher than 70.

The liner is warm and removable. The outer shell is comfortable, durable, high quality and also removable. Its a lot of money but it had a lot of warranty (lifetime). I cringed when i bought it, but I'd do it again!!

Old 05-05-2018, 10:48 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

For riding, Vanson.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:58 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 974 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestrafen
FXRG garments are gauranteed for life. One of my 3 year old HD jackets broke a zipper. Took it in, they repaired it, I got it back within 2 weeks.
Two weeks is crap if one rides their bike for a living and *needs* the leather for heat and/or safety.

OP...go with Fox Creek...you have to think about the quality of service for the rest of the life of the item you'll get from them.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:20 AM
superman70
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had great service from fox creek. Join their mailing list and they have regular discounts that make those jackets a bargain. Even the pockets are leather. My family has 4. We ride alot and have had 0 issues.

Hillside leather is also a very good option. Check them out. Made in USA to fit you. These are riding jackets not bar biker jackets.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-07-2018 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SPR (08-04-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I have a Fox Creek Classic. I've had it now for over 10 years and well in excess of 100,000 miles. Excellent quality, no issues . . . . ever.

To be honest, if/when I leave the sunny (dry) Southern California area I do use a First Gear Kathmandu Textile Jacket, which I've had for a similar time frame and am also quite happy with . . . . particularly so when it rains!

Old 05-06-2018, 05:49 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by d4rider
I know this has come up in the past, but haven't seen any threads newer than 3 yrs old, with FXRG line of jackets having been updated (in both features and price) a bit since...

Looking for a solid '3 seasons' jacket that is worth what you pay for... Currently comparing the Fox Creek Vented/Grayson to the FXRG Switchback

Your thoughts?
Feature for feature, I think the FXRG jacket is the best on the market. They’re pretty high tech.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Dwebber18
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by superman70
I have had great service from fox creek. Join their mailing list and they have regular discounts that make those jackets a bargain. Even the pockets are leather. My family has 4. We ride alot and have had 0 issues.

Hillside leather is also a very good option. Check them out. Made in USA to fit you. These are riding jackets not bar biker jackets.
I have a Hillside jacket and it's been really good. It was the best price for a horsehide jacket that I could find. I got it to make sure the size was good, then I sent it back with armor and they put pockets in it for me for $40. The only thing I'm a little disappointed in is the insulated zip out liner. The liner is a little bulky and not really all that warm so I typically wear one of my skiing mid layers under the jacket when it's cold. Also, being that it is horse leather it's pretty water resistant as well. Ridden in some pretty good rain and it has not yet soaked through.