General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over My Head?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:03 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

The fact that you are question your riding skills is reason enough to either have the seller "deliver" the bike to you, or for you to obtain a trailer and have a friend (who has riding experience) to help you with the loading transport and unloading of your bike.

FWIW, please check (or have them checked) the date codes on both of the tires on this bike to make sure they are no more than 6 years old.
If they are past their "expiration date" having the means to take it to the dealer (or indy shop) for tire/tube, brake and battery inspection/replacement if needed before you take your life into your own hands would be a really good idea.

Like others here, back when I started riding (as my first time) on a motorized two wheeler (that I had just purchased) and received my first and only riding instructions from the salesman in the parking lot!
Fifteen months (and less than 2,000 miles) later, I was in another dealership parking lot picking up a 750cc that I did not have the experience, nor the maturity to control. It's a MIRACLE that many of us survived those days!

Ride and practice at your own pace and try to ride with another experienced rider when and where traffic conditions safely allow.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy!

Old 04-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by austinbiker
Hi All!

New member here needing some advice...

A couple of weeks ago a friend had an '02 Fatboy was offloading and offered to sell it to me for a pretty reasonable price. I've never ridden before but it's always been in the back of my head so I took him up on the offer and purchased the bike. It's about 3 hours away in Dallas and I've yet to ride it but I trust this man with my life so I'm not too concerned about that.

What I AM concerned about is that prior to this weekend I had never ridden before and think I may be in a bit over my head. I just completed the MSF course. It took me a bit to get the slow turns in the box but otherwise it was a breeze. My friend assures me I'm fine but he's been riding for years and honestly I thought it best to get a second opinion. Should I get a smaller (used <500cc) to practice a bit more on or just go for it?

Realize this is a personal decision but wanted some general objective advice.

Thanks!
Having never ridden before, I strongly suggest you don't take your maiden voyage out of dallas, especially if you need to use 635 at any point.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM
Kingface
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

As others have said.....if you question your ability.....don't chance it. Trailer it home.

As for starting on a smaller bike.....I did that, and it was pointless. I had a Honda Shadow VLX600. EXCELLENT little bike. Low to the ground, light, enough power to get around....in other words, what most people say 'the perfect learning bike'. I rode it for a year, felt comfortable on it then bought my 2003 FatBoy. The Fatboy was a completely different animal and I essentially had to learn to ride it all over again. When I say 'completely different animal' I don't mean it was really hard to ride....I mean it was just very different. The FB has an AMZING center of gravity....practically balances itself. Im a little guy (5'8" 160lbs and it ok shape......no body builder) and have no problem with it. If I were to do it again, I would have just bought the FatBoy, taken my time on it to gain confidence and not worry about having to sell a bike to get the bike you wanted to begin with. Now would I get an Ultra and start on that???? No......but a FB is a great bike to learn on and also grow on for years and years.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:35 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Axis39
I learned to ride a motorcycle on the worst possible choice of motorcycles... Before I even knew how to drive a car. It was a custom big twin, with a hand shift and foot clutch, a ridgid frame and stretched girder front end.

But, I'm an idiot. I was a real idiot when I was a teenager.

My wife took the MSF course last year. Besides marrying me, she is a much smarter than I am... Who couldn't be? But, I bought her a (used) 1200 Sportster... Mostly because it was the one she liked the best, and seemed most comfortable on when sitting in the showroom. The Sportster is a bit zippier than the MSF bikes and certainly even a little zippier than my Softail. She's still not very confident on the bike. So much so, we are going to try private lessons from an MSF instructor. I honestly wish I had purchased her a smaller (slower, really) bike and am still contemplating it.

However, I would not give up having learned on a bigger, difficult to ride bike, for anything. Big Twins are all I've ever owned for my personal riding (Although, I ride the Hell out of my wife's 48 every chance I get). I am comfortable on most bikes and that is a nice feeling.... After 35 years of riding.

There needs to be a certain fear of riding... Not really fear of riding, but lack of ego, maybe? But, there also needs to be a certain confidence in the reality that just about anyone can ride. Riding can truly be one of the more joyful things in life. It is very freeing and can really help to reduce stress. I feel it should be thought of as something to look forward to, not dread.

That confidence comes with experience (or the idiocy of youth). If you feel you need more confidence in your abilities, by all means find a 'temporary learner' bike. Nothing wrong with that! Dropping a $500-1000 bike at low speed is a lot less painful (ego and wallet) than the Fat Boy! But, also realize, many have gone straight from flat foot to big bikes as well. In the end, the decision is yours... But, in the end, all I personally hope is that anyone who wants to learn to ride, learns to ride and finds the some of the joy I have found riding.

(Sorry for being long winded....)
Well stated.
(Might look for a used Street 500 for the wife to gain more experience without being intimidated.)

Good points regarding experience vs. confidence. RC's get to witness this callenge every class.
Tutoring via an instructor is a very good plan, and it'll likely increase her horizons at a quicker pace.

OP- trailer your FB home. Get a small cruiser beater that you can polish your skillset. Ride BOTH bikes for about a year. Sell beater for what you paid for it. Ride/enjoy your FB!

Old 04-26-2017, 12:51 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm a big advocate of buying and learning on the bike you want to ultimately ride. TBS, having ridden in those areas of Texas, I'd get a trailer. Traffic in both places suck, royally, and you need some saddle time. Get it home and ride as much as you can. I recommend going out of Austin in any direction and riding for hours and hours as much as you can. Bike will take care of you, once you learn how it rides.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:00 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

+1 Trailer the bike home or have your friend ride it to you.
The smaller bike idea may cost a few extra dollars but it's worth the extra cost if you don't feel confident in starting with a larger bike. We all come from a different starting point. There's no shame in a smaller bike.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Originally Posted by austinbiker
Hi All!

New member here needing some advice...

A couple of weeks ago a friend had an '02 Fatboy
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum.

We had a 2004 Fat Boy and it was a great bike to learn on. My wife road a Sportster for a couple hundred miles then jumped on the Fatboy. After about 50 miles on the FB we took a trip to the Black Hills and she did great.

Guess it depends on you.
Ride safe
Bill