General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over My Head?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 07:07 PM
austinbiker
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over My Head?

Hi All!

New member here needing some advice...

A couple of weeks ago a friend had an '02 Fatboy was offloading and offered to sell it to me for a pretty reasonable price. I've never ridden before but it's always been in the back of my head so I took him up on the offer and purchased the bike. It's about 3 hours away in Dallas and I've yet to ride it but I trust this man with my life so I'm not too concerned about that.

What I AM concerned about is that prior to this weekend I had never ridden before and think I may be in a bit over my head. I just completed the MSF course. It took me a bit to get the slow turns in the box but otherwise it was a breeze. My friend assures me I'm fine but he's been riding for years and honestly I thought it best to get a second opinion. Should I get a smaller (used <500cc) to practice a bit more on or just go for it?

Realize this is a personal decision but wanted some general objective advice.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2017, 08:01 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Welcome and I recommend you trailer it home, then start riding it. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:12 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Phone a friend to ride it back or trailer if have any doubt. Plenty of time to practice in lots and around neighborhood, dont practice in traffic.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 PM
jbfb
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Phone a friend to ride it back or trailer if have any doubt. Plenty of time to practice in lots and around neighborhood, dont practice in traffic.
Lots of this.
And congrats!

Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 PM
TBT3
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Probably don't want to hop on it and drive it three hours home. I would also suggest to not waste your time getting a smaller bike for practice. I took the MSF course and then bought a Sportster 1200. I started out in a parking lot next to where I lived. Practiced turning, stopping and getting a feel for the bike. Then I drove around the neighborhood, going slow and taking it easy. Then I upgraded to the 45 mph streets around town. I eventually made it to the freeway, short distances at first. That was all over the course of a month or two. Maybe some people do it differently but this is what worked for me. I took it at the speeds and ability I was comfortable with until I could do more. But I'm really glad I didn't waste time on a smaller bike. I got the bike I wanted and learned to ride it. So just take it easy and ride safe.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Mopar5599
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 362 Likes on 355 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Take your time and you will be ok.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:49 PM
Inop
Stellar HDF Member

Received 682 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by GregGillette
+1 take your time and get used to it

Old 04-23-2017, 08:59 PM
CJsmitty
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Personally I would trailer it back and then take your time getting comfortable. Driving straight down the highway is easy but if you get into a situation where you would need to react quickly you may not have the ability to do so.

But again this is just me talking. I tend to err on the side of caution. Other than the replacement shoulder from crashing a dirt bike.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:04 PM
tgmotoman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

There is no way I would want to be a new rider coming out of DFW and into Austin on I35. You know how aggressive motorists are, no need to subject yourself to that crazy on your first ride. And that ride will wear you out, very long first ride to be sure. If possible a trailer would be the best. Maybe he can ride it down to you, you then take him back home.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:08 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

No, you're not over your head unless you plan on riding the bike home yourself. Uhaul has a nice little bike trailer that you can rent cheap or as others have suggested, have someone ride it home for you. With no real experience, you could get in trouble in an incredibly short amount if time (seconds).

As far as the smaller bike to start on - others like this approach, and it's clearly the best way to avoid banging up a nice 02' Fatboy. but you should be OK if you take it easy once you get it home. Avoid heavy traffic and chaotic parking lots until you get some experience.

Best of luck, enjoy your new bike and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by rjo3491; 04-23-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Over My Head?