General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider w/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
As a former MSF instructor, I would say, any bike can be a "starter bike" as long as you pay attention in class and recognize that any bike can be too much if you don't respect the torque that is under your right, the throttle, wrist. As big as you are, a "small" bike will be too small real quickly.
Bingo, there's your winner.

I started on a heritage softail because I knew I would want to do more than just riding around town. It comes with bags and a windshield and it "fit" me well in the stock configuration. I rode it for 2 years and moved to a RG. The hardest part about being a first time rider is you don't know what you don't know. Once you have some miles under your belt you'll have a much better feel for what you like - such as bars, bags, shields, tunes, seats etc.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:31 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

going against the grain here but coming from a lower financial angle than most.

I recommended a friend of mine who's a little bigger than you to get an old rice cruiser for his "starter bike". Ride it for your first season. If you lay it down, it's not going to be the end of the world or your pocket book. Following season, unless you mess it all up... you should be able to resell it for close to what you paid and now you'll know: 1. if you're really into riding and 2. what type of riding you're interested in.

He ended up taking a corner too fast and laid it down and learned about road rash and bike repair. That same buddy went on to work MSF for a few years and rides more than I do now... but I've got a good decade on him and a pretty busted up, high mileage body these days. Still... looking back, he appreciates the advice and is glad he started out that way before laying down the big money.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:53 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by BikerPepe`
going against the grain here but coming from a lower financial angle than most.

I recommended a friend of mine who's a little bigger than you to get an old rice cruiser for his "starter bike". Ride it for your first season. If you lay it down, it's not going to be the end of the world or your pocket book. Following season, unless you mess it all up... you should be able to resell it for close to what you paid and now you'll know: 1. if you're really into riding and 2. what type of riding you're interested in.

He ended up taking a corner too fast and laid it down and learned about road rash and bike repair. That same buddy went on to work MSF for a few years and rides more than I do now... but I've got a good decade on him and a pretty busted up, high mileage body these days. Still... looking back, he appreciates the advice and is glad he started out that way before laying down the big money.
I would add to the above:

I have seen many new riders over the last 49 years. Most didn't ride for very long, some didn't ride long at all, and we have good riding weather here year around. Some had accidents because riding a street bike, especially in high traffic areas, is nothing like having ATV or dirt bike experience. Most just didn't enjoy the close calls/danger.

My advice is get some actual experience on the street before going too deeply in debt for any street bike. Street bikes aren't going away.

The following users liked this post:
BikerPepe` (04-30-2017)