General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call, but lesson learned!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 08:49 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasGeorge
I've been riding since I was 13, I'm 71 now, so that's 58 years, and hundreds of thousands of safe riding miles. Admittedly, I'm on my first Harley, with only 3,000 miles under my tires on it. But, your post has made me think.
Maybe there is some difference in Harley handling that contributed to the scare. I'll be watching for that.
Absolutely nothing different about a Harley vs any other bike in the situation you described.

On a downhill slope, with your bars turned (even a little) as you start rolling you need to make it one smooth motion and get moving forward.
As you start to move, do not hesitate.

Gravity is wanting to pull that bike down to the ground.
You mentioned riding two up, so that is even more weight to deal with.

A little hesitation or even a light touch on the front brake, and your going down.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:50 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,401 Likes on 2,957 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy

Another issue, especially with dressers that have ride floorboards is that IF you're going down, DO NOT get your foot between the floorboard and the pavement.

I was watching a guy making some practice turns (like the officer in the video) and when the bike went over his RH boot was trapped between the RH floorboard and the pavement. A few of us quickly lifted his bike.
Had I not been for his "brand new" boots, his foot may have been crushed.
Usually, what happens is the foot becomes "pinched" as the floorboard folds up to the side case. Either way, it's a big problem.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:07 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

A less experienced rider would have grabbed the brakes. I've helped too many people lift their bikes off the ground after that.

Many times throttle saves the day.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:27 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,419 Likes on 2,224 Posts
Default Depends...

Originally Posted by upflying
I don't understand how a front wheel folds up but you should use rear brake only to hold a bike stopped on a downgrade.
Some down grades, you need both feet down to balance..

Old 05-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Hold the bike (on a hill or otherwise) with the rear brake, left foot down. Don't pick your left foot up until the clutch engages the rear wheel. Drag the rear brake and work the clutch friction zone as needed if you're obligated to creep in lieu of proceeding on your way. Holding a motorcycle with the front brake on a hill or otherwise encourages low speed front brake use which can cause a tip over. Sometimes a wriggling passenger or strong cross wind will make it necessary to put both feet down at a stop and hold the bike stationary with the front brake. As soon as the clutch powers the rear wheel put both feet on the pegs or boards and locate the rear brake immediately. Make a conscious effort to close your hand around the throttle and resist the urge to cover the front brake with your fingers.

There's a world of difference between 20 years experience and 1 year experience 20 times in a row. I've often found that the worst riders I've ever seen thought they had nothing left to learn.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 05-07-2017 at 05:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ColdRain (05-08-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I always try to start rolling straight ahead and then make turn once rolling. Just making a wider turn. It's just easier that way for me. The front tire wont want to grab and try to make the turn for me.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Recan
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Hold the bike (on a hill or otherwise) with the rear brake, left foot down. Don't pick your left foot up until the clutch engages the rear wheel. Drag the rear brake and work the clutch friction zone as needed if you're obligated to creep in lieu of proceeding on your way. Holding a motorcycle with the front brake on a hill or otherwise encourages low speed front brake use which can cause a tip over. Sometimes a wriggling passenger or strong cross wind will make it necessary to put both feet down at a stop and hold the bike stationary with the front brake. As soon as the clutch powers the rear wheel put both feet on the pegs or boards and locate the rear brake immediately. Make a conscious effort to close your hand around the throttle and resist the urge to cover the front brake with your fingers.

There's a world of difference between 20 years experience and 1 year experience 20 times in a row. I've often found that the worst riders I've ever seen thought they had nothing left to learn.
Very well said.