General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member - Questions and advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:36 AM
sculptr812
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Member - Questions and advice

Greetings all. Thoughts on a 2011 Fatboy Lo needing a new ECM? I bought my first Harley ('99 Sportster 883 with 3900mi) in 2013. Ended up rebuilding most of the top end as well as a tank flush/seal, plugs, wires, tires, rebuilt carb, new digital ignition, etc. Just put a new battery on it as well.....The thing runs like a top! I dont want to get rid of it, but its time for a different bike! I want to be more comfortable and always want more power.

With my short, stubby legs, I have been looking at certain models like a Fatboy Lo, Breakout, Softail Deluxe, Blackline or possibly a Street Glide (I know, I am all over the place. I will be buying used. The Sportster was in great shape when I bought it, but it obviously sat for ages. It was a huge headache at first. I just dont want to buy my next Harley and have similar or consistent headaches.

So this will sum up my post....a guy at my work is selling his 2011 Fatboy Lo that he hasnt even advertised yet. He head he would give it to me for a still at $8750 BECAUSE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON??!!

He texts me the other night and says "H-D Fatboy Lo. Beautiful White Hot Denim paint. Very low mileage, garage kept. Vance n Hines short shots exhaust and air cleaner, Screaming Eagle tuner, swing arm bag." Then he proceeds to say "If you dont want it, I was going to list it for $10500, but if you do, I will sell it cheap cause the CEL came on and the dealer says it needs a new ECM"????

He said the bike runs fine, he took it on a 60 mile ride the other day with the CEL on and it had no problems. He's not sure why it came on. He also state "Evidentally a small short term memory shortage part of it when bad, but the whole ECM has to be replaced. Part and labor $500".

My question to all of you....would you buy this bike? Offer the guy $7500-8k? If I buy this bike, I will have to drive it 70+ miles back to my home and I dont want the bike to get any worse if something more if going on or die on me. Is a new ECM really $500 with part and labor? Is it something an amateur machanic can do himself with extra time?

I would appreciate any advice or help. Thank you all!

Old 05-09-2017, 09:42 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm kind of fussy when buying used bikes. There are so many good deals on CL that if you are patient you'll find something. But I'm not an experienced mech and if you feel comfortable with it then go for it.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:48 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

He's offering a 2k discount over a $500 shop bill?

Something doesn't smell right. If you really like the bike, ask to take it to a dealer and have them diagnose the CEL and get a price on repairing. You'll have to pay for an hour of labor, but it could save you a major headache. If the guy at work isn't trying to pull a fast one on you, he shouldn't have an issue with you doing this.

Also: welcome!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-09-2017 at 04:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sculptr812 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 10:12 AM
SFC Old Grey
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the guy at work someone you work closely with? I agree with PPearl, take it to a shop. At the very least your professional relationship will not be damaged that way. I doubt that that someone who has to work with you on a daily basis would rip you off.

sculptr812 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 10:16 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PPearl

Something doesn't smell right. If you really like the bike, ask to take it to a dealer and have them diagnose the CEL and get a price on repairing. You'll have to pay for an hour of labor, but it could save you a major headache. If the guy at work isn't trying to pull a fast one on you, he shouldn't have an issue with you doing this.
this is the best advice you are going to get

sculptr812 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 10:22 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PPearl

This is all the advice you need... ^^^^^

sculptr812 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 10:24 AM
sculptr812
Stage III

I totally agree with everyone's feedback so far! Thank you so much. As far as the guy at work, we just met the other day when he had the bike at work. Ive never met him before that and he doesnt work at my location on a regular basis, but we do work for the same company. I will suggest about taking it to a dealer, just have to see which one is close to where the bike is. I know he works 12 hour days even on weekends, so I schedules are a bit apart. He seems like he wont have a problem with the idea, just have to figure out when I can make it happen. I dont want him to get discouraged from selling it to me so cheap too if he decides to change his mind while the bike is getting checked by the dealer and he ends up wanting to fix it himself and either keep it or sell it higher is my only thing with that.

looks like two Harley dealer exist relatively close to where the bike is located. one is 37 mins north of him and the other is 40 min south.....

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-09-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:19 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Get the Vin# and mileage and have a local dealer run it under the Emission warranty to see if its still covered. Could be a free repair.

sculptr812 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 03:15 PM
sculptr812
Stage III

That's a thought too. Thanks! I just hope if everything works out, the thing will be good to drive home without any problems so I can get it to my local dealer.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:57 PM
TBT3
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Check engine light was coming on randomly on the used 2012 Wide Glide I bought. Dealership couldn't find anything wrong. Moco told them to replace the ECM. That didn't work so then they replaced the wiring harness which did work.

Just saying it possible that it does need a new ECM. Anything is possible. Personally I would be wary of a "great deal" on a uses bike with the check engine light on. There are tons of cheap, used bikes out there if you have the cash. Shop, shop around.