General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New, New, New

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:07 AM
chefnerd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New, New, New

Hi everyone. I am located in the good ol' state of WI. I was in Milwaukee for a wedding a few weeks ago and had a couple hours to kill before the event so I decided to take a tour of the HD Museum.

Here's where things took a turn for the worst....The museum was hosting a bike rally the same day and same time (vintage festival) and to make a long story short I fell in love. Having a background in ATV's and dirt bikes since I was a little chap I had a liking to motors of all sorts. My father in law has an ultra classic that I have been able to be involved in a little bit and really enjoy the engineering and design of these bikes (I'm an Engineer myself).

Where I'm at:
#1 I don't have my license. I was told by a few guys at the rally that the learn to ride program at local HD dealerships is worth looking into for your license.

-What do you think about the HD Learn to Ride program for a guy familiar to the workings of a bike but extremely limited road time riding?

#2 I dont have a bike. I'm 6'1" and tried a DYNA around the parking lot and the fit felt well. I think Road Glides are the coolest thing since sliced bread, but buying one of those rigs is not in the question at this time. haha

-I'm sure the default is "only you can decide" which bike is good for you. However, a guy who loves this history of HD and the culture and economy it brought and still brings to the state I live in I would love to stick with a Harley for my first bike. Any comments on a good learning motorcycle would be appreciated such as; Are there certain years I should stay away from? etc..

Thanks everyone for this great forum and I have all intensive purposes of looking around to dig up my own answers to my questions as well. Have a good one and ride safe!

Old 07-20-2017, 08:04 AM
HarleyBP
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm on my first HD and loving it!
Test riding a few different models would certainly be beneficial, and I wouldn't even think of getting a bike without taking one of the motorcycle safety courses first.
After growing up on dirt bikes I stopped riding for over 20 years. Before starting again, I took the riding course and it was one of the best decisions I made.
My buddy used to ride his Dyna from Wisconsin to Toronto and back every year. He certainly enjoyed riding it everywhere until he remarried and moved up to an Ultra last year for two-up riding.
Good luck on your search and I'm sure you will enjoy the HD experience.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:17 AM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome,
Take the course riders edge or one of the MSF courses,great info and training then your license, Dyna, softail, touring or sportster all great machines. Rumor is some big changes coming within the next year or 2 models. Lots of clean low mileage used bikes abound! Again welcome!

Old 07-20-2017, 08:27 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by chefnerd
.... I think Road Glides are the coolest thing since sliced bread
......... you sir, are a very intelligent man.
..... it's also very smart to consider the MSF course, the HD dealerships do a pretty good job w/them.
..... demo truck days are coming, test a few different models & see which suits your soul best.
............ i myself would go w/the Road Glide, but then i'm a tad biased.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:31 AM
FLASH1970
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3,155 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Welcome from Lake Geneva. I took online prep tests for my permit. went and took the permit test at the DMV, got my permit, rode around for a while. then signed up for the M test at the Greenfield DMV. only certain DMV's offer the M test and they're usually booked a few weeks out. For the test, you wear your full face helmet and they give you ear buds and follow you in a car telling you to do various things like change lanes, stop, turn, do a quick stop...

as far as what a good bike to buy is... that's for you to decide. if you want a touring bike, I'd try to stay 09 or newer. if you want 6 speeds, 07 or newer. if you don't mind getting your hands dirty there's really not a bad year I can think of. 99-06 have tensioner shoes that wear out on the cam chains. 07 and up also have cam tensioner shoes, but its a different style so they tend to last longer. not sure what youre budget is. I bought my bike off of craigslist at the end of the season because it's cheaper that way.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Skidmark63
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife and I both had quit riding for over 20 yrs when I bought my 09 Heritage Classic. I had a lot of Army buds with Harleys in different states telling me to get one so we can do trips. I would not allow her or me on the bike until we both went to a riders course. After that she wanted her own so now we have 2. I was in the middle of 2 knee surgeries so I have barely ridden since. Getting both ready to go now tho. Take the basic riders course, get your license and stay local for a spell. I am doing the around town (small lil town I am in) and out in the country.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:42 AM
natedog_37
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by chefnerd
Hi everyone. I am located in the good ol' state of WI. I was in Milwaukee for a wedding a few weeks ago and had a couple hours to kill before the event so I decided to take a tour of the HD Museum.

Here's where things took a turn for the worst....The museum was hosting a bike rally the same day and same time (vintage festival) and to make a long story short I fell in love. Having a background in ATV's and dirt bikes since I was a little chap I had a liking to motors of all sorts. My father in law has an ultra classic that I have been able to be involved in a little bit and really enjoy the engineering and design of these bikes (I'm an Engineer myself).

Where I'm at:
#1 I don't have my license. I was told by a few guys at the rally that the learn to ride program at local HD dealerships is worth looking into for your license.

-What do you think about the HD Learn to Ride program for a guy familiar to the workings of a bike but extremely limited road time riding?

#2 I dont have a bike. I'm 6'1" and tried a DYNA around the parking lot and the fit felt well. I think Road Glides are the coolest thing since sliced bread, but buying one of those rigs is not in the question at this time. haha

-I'm sure the default is "only you can decide" which bike is good for you. However, a guy who loves this history of HD and the culture and economy it brought and still brings to the state I live in I would love to stick with a Harley for my first bike. Any comments on a good learning motorcycle would be appreciated such as; Are there certain years I should stay away from? etc..

Thanks everyone for this great forum and I have all intensive purposes of looking around to dig up my own answers to my questions as well. Have a good one and ride safe!
Are you talking about the wild one Vintage fest that was July 8th. My HOG chapter was there from Michigan that weekend.

I can't say much about the riding class except it is $$$.

As for a Dyna i am 6'2 and my wide glide is great. I rode 745 miles that weekend.

The following users liked this post:
chefnerd (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

OP~
Welcome to the site!

Since you ride dirtbikes, you already have a foundation of what the mechanics are needed to "move off & stop". Now, you need to learn to turn. Yes, it's totally different than on your YZ/KX/RM or CR.

Take the HD "Rider's Academy" or MSF "BRC." Or both. They're fun. I really enjoy teaching when someone has previous or dirt experience. That was the most fun for me, as an RC. One thing we have to "break" dirtbikers of is looking down. Plan on hearing "HEAD & EYES UP! A lot!

As far as a bike to get to learn on...a 500 Street is best when it comes to HD's. (Sorry folks, but true.)

The following users liked this post:
chefnerd (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:46 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Howdy, and welcome to the Forum from central Texas. Get your license then sit on as many bikes that you can. When you sit on the right bike it will speak to you and you will know that is the one, then test ride it, and if it is still speaking to you when you get back, buy it.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:00 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

Welcome. All good advice here. I would add my experience. Test as many models (bikes that is) as you can. I found that the more I looked the more my taste refined.

Quick Reply: New, New, New