General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing bike - hose down whole bike vs "dry" clean

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:07 AM
MorecowbellAz
Cruiser
Received 217 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Washing bike - hose down whole bike vs "dry" clean

Weird question perhaps, but historically unless my bike is really cruddy I usually clean by going over the bike a wet towel (rinsing often) followed by a cloth of polisher as I go; no full hose down. Goes way quicker that way because here in the desert where its dry 95% of the time mostly it just gets dusty with some bug shrapnel, not muddy or anything. I find hosing down the whole bike creates nice work removing water spots that the actual cleaning part. Plus this way there no water to get into things.

AnywayI'm curious if folks find a benefit to hosing down their whole bike rather than the method I described above.

FWIW I ride my bike more than wash it, not hung up on keeping it showroom shiny all the time, but I like to knock the dust and bugs off it once a month or so.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:27 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

In Phoenix, I'd rather be hosed down right about now, and not really care what the bike looks like.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

I have never found it necessary to hose my bike down. If I go over it with a moist cloth I can always get it pretty clean. I suppose if I got stuck riding in the mud or something like that it might be necessary to hose down, but I avoid these types of situations.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

It's real quick and easy to wash with a hose and blow dry with a leaf blower.

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:52 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

When I do serious wash job, I use a bucket of soapy water and the hose the soap off. A quick clean, I use a spray bottle with a little soap in it. And I use a microfiber cloth.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

If you're picky about the finish like I am, then it's best to hose the dickens out of it before you touch it with anything. Hosing it down removes much of the dust and grit. The dust and grit acts as an abrasive that will put tiny scratches in your paint regardless of what type of cloth you use. It's like fine sanding your paint. Take your car or bike to a business parking lot some night and look at it under the commercial lighting. Depending on the amount of damage from rubbing dirt into the paint, you'll see big swirls created by millions of tiny scratches. Anyway, the best soap and the best micro-fiber cloth in the world will pick up the grit and scratch as you rub it into the paint.

It's impossible to have a grit-free surface before you start using a cloth, but why not minimize the damage by rinsing it off first?

The following 3 users liked this post by Frank the Real Biker:
BikerPepe` (08-13-2017), FunGramps (08-13-2017), URGE (08-15-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 11:00 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Once a year, whether it needs it or not.

Get a big towel good and wet with hot water. Drape it over the windshield and fairing to soften up the bugs. Hose it all down, wetting everything. Spray Simple Green all over the engine and down underneath where it gets all grungy. While that's working, pull the luggage, then take a bucket of soapy water and a rag and go over the paintwork. By then, the bug spooge on the front comes off easily.

Hose off the whole thing. Dry it with a shammy, put the luggage on.

If I'm feeling particularly motivated I'll hit the nasty stuff underneath and back by the swingarm with a rag and kerosene.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:08 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,742 Likes on 3,509 Posts

I hose it down, then wash it using a mitt and a bucket of soapy water, then rinse it off with the hose.

I have a small shop vac that I use to blow dry it (hose connected to the vac exhaust) followed by a wipe down with a towel or cloth.

If I'm just cleaning bugs off the fairing, windshield, tank etc., I use an aerosol can of S-100 wax/cleaner.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,215 Likes on 11,120 Posts

I sudsy wash from the tank and seat down, detailer and microfiber cloth wipe above that. I don't like to get water on the switches.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:13 AM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
If you're picky about the finish like I am, then it's best to hose the dickens out of it before you touch it with anything. Hosing it down removes much of the dust and grit. The dust and grit acts as an abrasive that will put tiny scratches in your paint regardless of what type of cloth you use. It's like fine sanding your paint. Take your car or bike to a business parking lot some night and look at it under the commercial lighting. Depending on the amount of damage from rubbing dirt into the paint, you'll see big swirls created by millions of tiny scratches. Anyway, the best soap and the best micro-fiber cloth in the world will pick up the grit and scratch as you rub it into the paint.

It's impossible to have a grit-free surface before you start using a cloth, but why not minimize the damage by rinsing it off first?
My sentiments exactly. Rubbing is sanding. I prefer the smaller grit.

Quick Reply: Washing bike - hose down whole bike vs "dry" clean