General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else here ever break your clutch (left) wrist?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 675 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Anyone else here ever break your clutch (left) wrist?

I broke my left wrist in a household accident three weeks ago (not a motorcycle accident) which required surgery on the wrist which involved putting in a titanium plate to hold the bones in place while they knit. Needless to say, there went most of the riding season. But don't feel too sorry for me, I live in Southern California, where there are about 11 months a year of riding.

Naturally, when this first happened I was really worried as to whether or not once I recovered, whether I would be able to operate the clutch on the Harley. My Dr. tells me that I can pretty much look forward to a full recovery. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum that ever broken their left wrist, and if so, what was the recovery like getting back into riding and operating that clutch?

On a more pleasant note, I took advantage of the situation by having my bike serviced during this time of not being able to ride. My dealer was nice enough to pick up and return the bike at no charge. (Of course I tipped the driver very well). Also had auxiliary riding lights added to the fat boy. Now I just need to finish my recovery.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

I beleive you can get an 'easy pull' clutch which would help you tremendously...b.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Broken Wrist

Yeah, I broke mine when I was a kid. 6 weeks in a cast and about another month of stiffness until back to "normal."
Doesn't seen to be any long term after affects as it works well on my hydraulic clutch. If there was any weakness in my wrist, that's where it would show up.
It may take awhile but with some physical therapy you'll be golden in a few months.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:42 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 604 Likes on 326 Posts

My wife broke her wrist while on a trip with her bike in Eureka springs . She came back home by herself about 700 miles the following day. She said she was OK until she hit the stop and go on the interstate in Nashville . She spotted a Harley dealership and stopped for a break as it was bike night and stuck her hand in the cooler full of beer and ice .. She healed up fine .

Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Yuhp radial ulnar fracture in 1991. Plate and pin fixation of the radial bone. They set the ulna and put me in a cast. Really not a big deal, I was riding the day after my cast came off. The issue will be loss of grip strength due to muscle atrophy. Once the strength is back you shouldn't have any problems. 26 years later my clutch hand issue is arthritis. Getting old isn't for pussies.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:51 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i splintered my wrist about 2 years ago, basically the same thing as breaking it. I was in a cast for about 6 weeks. Same thing, couldnt ride and it took me a while before i could pull in the clutch lever without alot of pain. I did it anyways, took me about 6 months before the pain was gone so i didnt notice it when pulling in the clutch lever.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:54 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Broke mine....5 years ago now I believe. Cracked the bones at the base of my thumb leading into the wrist. I was healed up fine after the 6 weeks. Took a little time to get my grip strength back but it wasn't that bad.

Never broke a bone as a kid so I had my friends sign my cast so I could get the full experience lol

Old 08-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

I was taking a final solo ride of the weekend on July 4th 2005 on the dirtbike in my sig pic. Just getting on it in an empty field when I hit a hidden tire rut (high grass covering it) and washed out breaking my clutch wrist with the bone very near to pushing through the skin. I was about 4 miles away from my parents' house in the middle of nowhere, wearing that black gear in the sig pic in the high heat/humidity of south east Missouri. I didn't want to walk back, I didn't want to leave my bike. I tried starting in neutral and kicking up into second without clutch but kept stalling it. So, I started pushing it, pushed it for about a half mile till I found a tiny slope that let me start in neutral, get rolling and kick up into 2nd with out stalling. Rode to my parents', my dad was going to cut off my glove as my hand had swollen, but being a cheapo I wiggled it off myself. Drove to the podunk hospital we had in the small town there. The one doctor on call there said since the break was so close to the end of the wrist it was beyond his abilities to reset, so had to go to a bigger hospital to see an orthopedist. They wanted me to take an ambulance but I declined. I was leaving that day to go back to St. Louis anyway, so just went back to my parents to get my car (Mustang GT with 5 speed). My mom went with me, but I drove (2 1/2 hours, as she doesn't like driving in traffic if she can avoid it). Got my wrist mostly fixed that night (ended up having to get surgery later on). My mom did drive me home from the hospital in the night in traffic both of which she hates. I held off on filling my pain meds prescription at the hospital with the plan of stopping at a Walgreens on the way home. Of course due to the holiday it was closed, so I had to wait till the morning for additional pain meds.

My wrist is still a little screwed up even today, but its minor enough I'm not going back. I had my fill of being in casts that summer/fall. It hasn't affected my ability to use my clutch. Though I can make the bone that broke move around and gross some people out. The surgery was supposed to fix that but really didn't.

Last edited by Dan28; 08-14-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:28 AM
lee123
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out the - Rekluse clutch - Just in case ..

Old 08-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Fishguy001
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the same thing and was riding after about 6-8 weeks with no troubles. Started physical therapy after 3 weeks

Quick Reply: Anyone else here ever break your clutch (left) wrist?