General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing ruining the experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:44 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts
Default Fairing ruining the experience?

Has anyone else come to this conclusion? There are pros and cons to everything and everyone has their own wants and needs. I purchased a used Used ultra in 2013 to take on long-distance trips and for touring. After returning from out west/Yellowstone/Sturgis, I realized that when I take the Super Glide cross-country I am more beat up and tired. But I have more fun and the experience is more intimate and engaging. In a way riding the ultra has been kind of like driving a car but n two wheels. Its great for foul weather and cold. But I dont look forward to the ride experience itself as much as I do when there is an on-obstructive view and you can ride naked with the wind in your face/. being able to just pop off a windshield is priceless.

Dealer has been pestering me the past year and I can keep telling them no. They know I want a road king and looking to move their stock as they still have four on the showroom floor. When I demoed the 2017 M8, it was instant t satisfaction. So after balking twice, they offered me a sweet deal that is too good to pass on. Picking it up on Friday. Goodbye ultra classic. Hello Road King.

The following users liked this post:
btharris24 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 07:51 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

That would have been my suggestion. Have one and love that I can ride her naked, with a shield, with a fairing or even a tourpack if I choose. But I sure do love a fixed fairing such as on the Road Glide as well. Different strokes I guess..

Have ridden the M8 and awesome (Road Glide Ultra). Only bike I ever rode that was very comfortable with stock bars. I know the Road King bars would have to be changed out lickety split like.

Last edited by nobodyknowsme; 08-14-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:53 PM
Check6
Road Captain

Received 299 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree to a certain degree. I like riding with my face in the wind, but after 44 years of doing so I went just the opposite direction you did. I traded my Road King in on an Ultra Limited a month ago. I just find that the older I get the less I like feeling like I played a game of football after 300 miles.

You made a good decision for you, I'm sure. And, I'd still like to have a dyna or sporty to fill up my grill with bugs every now and then. I rode the M8 Road King last year when they first came out. Great bike and full of spunk. Enjoy it!!

Old 08-14-2017, 08:13 PM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I've never ridden a fairing bike, but I can say I don't get beat up at all on the road king with the windshield and fork deflectors. I have an LRS recurve windshield, I look over it and wind still goes up and over my helmet.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:13 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,887 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Had a Superglide Custom. It was badass.

Went to a Road King, windshield on, windshield off, finally windshield on all the time.

Now have a Road Glide Ultra. Big stereo, nice windshield, tour Pak etc, etc, etc.

While I miss the "good ole days" of the Superglide, doing 20k a year is better in comfort.

Maybe buy a second bike again, someday, but I'm good now.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:25 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

First, if one bike was right for everybody, there would only be one bike. There a lot of bikes out there because there are a lot of people and a lot of people have a lot of different needs and opinions. When I was selling cars I always told people you can't drive a price, but you can drive a car, so buy what you like.

Glad you pulled the trigger on something that makes you happy and fits your riding style.

I sort of agree on the fairing... To a point. Right now I only have my Ultra and I love it but I've owned a Triumph Bonneville and I think once the new T120's start showing up used I'll add one to the garage. Every bike has a place.

Lastly: There's a formula for how many motorcycles a person needs: "N" + 1, where "N" equals the number of bikes you have now.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,616 Likes on 749 Posts

I have wondered this myself. I have never ridden a bike with a fairing, and only have a naked Softail Slim S. I did sit on a Street Glide and a Road Glide, and felt that the fairing and windshield "cramped" my view. Might as well just get a convertible car, I thought...

I do plan riding cross country in October. Everyone tells me to get a windshield. But... I think I am going to go on a naked bike - but with a front handlebar roll bag. I do think the front handlebar roll bag deflects wind enough to make the ride comfortable.

R,
Sanjuro

Last edited by Sanjuro; 08-14-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:26 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Sound like you made the right decision for yourself, post some pictures!

For me, My last bike was on a Sportster which I had 17 years, it was not rubber mounted, ran like hell with the stage 4, but was a vibrating animal. Mirrors were useless. I'm enjoying motorcycling more than ever since I bought my Ultra Limited in late 2012. With the Sportster 300 mile days made me feel worn out, now a 300 mile day is cake. Nothing wrong with a Road King, have fun!

Old 08-14-2017, 09:36 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

No fairing ever on my bikes. Part of riding is being in the wind. If I wasn't going to do that, I might as well take the car.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:45 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,558 Likes on 11,244 Posts

Quick release bags and windshield on my Superglide, best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Fairing ruining the experience?