General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With motorcycle deaths rising--are helmet laws needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the same as noteing a rise in a certain type of crime compaired to previous years. The reporting of the crime committed may be higher but the actual committing of the crime is really the same or close to the same numbers. It doesnt mean there should be more laws just continued reporting and pursuit/procecution of the criminals is whats needed. The reporting of motocycle accidents always say no helmet and the cycleist fault, never when its the cages fault . The motorcycle represents freedom and individualism that libs and progreesive resent. Once they get motorcycles under control they will go after raceing and other extreeme sport activitys.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:43 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

dont think helmet laws will make a diiference! we have helmet law here in NZ, still plenty of motorcycle deaths, helmets will realisticly only help in very slow speed accidents, at speeds you will probably die with or without helmet

Old 01-30-2011, 03:04 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bulldog
nough govt intervention! period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You revived this thread to say that???!!! Insightful.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It's the NEVER ending debate.......again!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:58 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 01-30-2011, 04:24 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 243 Likes on 107 Posts

To wear a helmet should be a riders choice. As stated above NH is a choice state. I wear mine most of the time, but once in a while it is bald head to the sun and I am off. Wife calls me an organ donor, maybe so, but I want the freedom of choice.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:48 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nortonics
know what makes story about as stupid as saying "guns kill people"? The fact that nowhere in this story is there any indication whether the dead riders were wearing helmets or not.

Besides, i fail to see how a $15k funeral is more expensive on society than 30 years of medical costs to treat a paraplegic, but if someone would like to educate me in one paragraph or less i'm all ears.

We don't have helmet laws here in mn, and that's exactly the way we want it to stay there ol'mark kulda,lobbyist for the insurance industry - ya friggin' numb-nut.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/s110026.shtml?cat=1
hell ****ing no!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 04:51 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Survival of the fittest.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Shredd522
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3power
In NY, using a cellphone while driving (without a hands free set) is illegal.

I find it interesting that these no-helmet crusades only exist on HD forums. Funny, I mentioned it to some of my old sport touring buddies and they said "great, Harley guysstumble out of abarand then think they're good enough to ride without a helmet" . . that's the reputation on the street, FWIW. It doesn't bother me, I don't drink and ride EVER, and I wear a helmet and would wear a helmet even if I had a choice.
This is a good point and I stand behind your choice 100%. The problem is this: We live in a country built on liberty & personal freedoms. The only exception to this is when a persons actions harm someone else or someone elses liberty. Our governments responsibility is NOT to protect me from myself. I totally respect your choice to wear your helmet, and I believe in a helmet law for minors, but an adult should have the choice to wear or not wear. And this is not negotiable. As soon as you let our government make laws like this, where does it stop?! At what point are motorcycles themselves deemed 'unsafe' or 'too costly to other people' and are ruled illegal? That will never happen, you say? Keep letting them write laws like the helmet law and the seatbelt law and see the line for your liberties keep getting moved.

Its a BS law and people who care about our freedoms as Americans knows it.

and btw, your friend who made that generalization about harley riders being drunks who stagger to their bikes is a dick. I am a responsible person and I NEVER have more than one if I am on the bike. Most of the people that I know who ride harleys are the same way so you can tell your metric buddy that if I'm a drunk biker because I ride a harley then he's a gay moron because he rides a sport tourer.

Last edited by Shredd522; 01-30-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
LoL, Bulldog! I've been keeping track of who has revived the oldest thread and I think you took the lead! 3 1/2 year old thread has been resurrected!
LMAO, he had to dig pretty deep for this one.

Quick Reply: With motorcycle deaths rising--are helmet laws needed?