General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With motorcycle deaths rising--are helmet laws needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 PM
sl3slinger
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: With motorcycle deaths rising--are helmet laws needed?

ORIGINAL: atomic

The number one reason more motorcyclists are dying is because they are starting out on bigger bikes than they can handle. Guys in their 50's who never road before think they should get a big Harley as their first bike. Or guys in their 20's who start out 1000 CC Crotch Rockets.

People die around here and they have helmets on. A lot of people in cages are dying.
excelent point, theres a video clip floating around here somewere that proves that very point, i know weve all seen it,i think it came from americas funniest videos, that guy on a dresser hittin a car in a parking lot. im sure theres alot of guys just like that out there. and of course cell phones and on board dvd players dont help matters much either.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:45 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In NY, using a cellphone while driving (without a hands free set) is illegal.

I find it interesting that these no-helmet crusades only exist on HD forums. Funny, I mentioned it to some of my old sport touring buddies and they said "great, Harley guysstumble out of abarand then think they're good enough to ride without a helmet" . . that's the reputation on the street, FWIW. It doesn't bother me, I don't drink and ride EVER, and I wear a helmet and would wear a helmet even if I had a choice.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:51 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lids still suck!!!! they should outlaw fullwraps.....

Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
jimmyz
Tourer

Wearing my lid. I have been down before and my old head aint as hard as the pavement!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

What makes sense is to require new licensees to take the MSF Riding Course. The only problem is with the numbers of new riders, there aren't enough classes to get them all in. The morons who want to legislate your choice will skew the date to fit their agenda. Want to make a difference? Don't let the publication go unanswered...respond there! And for me and helmets- Sometimes I feel like a nut, Sometimes I don't!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member

I feel that an individual has a right to decide whether or not they want the skid lid. There can be no debate as to whether a helmet may reducethe risk of a head injury, just as a seat belt and an air bag can reduce the possible injury to the head and chest area on a front end collision...

The key would is reduce

Old 06-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

Should be harder to obtain a license for anything over 1,000 cc's

Riding afigure 8 pattern on a 250cc bike does not mean one can safely ride a larger heavier more powerful bike.We don't put our lives in the hands of pilots who've only qualified on small aircraft when we're passengers on large jets.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:05 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

The CFO and I were up in Indiana in Brownsburg this weekend. We left the rides at home, but at 5:00 AM on Monday on the way back to DC, we heard 5 riders had lost their lives over the weekend. "Good weather brings them out." was the quote from a local radio. The report of three accidents with the loss of 5 lives started with to paraphrase, 'none were earing helmets'. Then the 'facts' as reported came next. First one was rearended by a pick up truck, three riders were struck by a truck while riding in a Poker Run, (with the verbal disdain that indicated something other than a Charity ride), and tha last rider was involved with a truck in a collision.

I drive trucks, have owned 4 Jeep wagons since they were Willlys till today. I drive a little different, cause I ride. I think I want the normaL DMV Driver training classes to include the same Road Awareness Training that every rider in their right mind should take. More inforcement of operator laws could go a long way.

'None were wearing helmets' is not the same statement as 'Three pick up and truck drivers kill 5 motorcyclists'.

Just an opinion from one rider with the belief that if you have a ten dollar head, protect yourself that way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/41DD455F338448BD99E6C0338798BCCA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-13-2007, 12:32 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

great state of pa, no lids!

Old 06-13-2007, 01:18 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,697 Posts

ORIGINAL: celtlion

If the editors at KSTP are so concerned about safety, maybethey could write an article or two about enforcing our existing immigration laws and suggest deporting illegals caught driving drunk and unlicensed?

Amen brother

Quick Reply: With motorcycle deaths rising--are helmet laws needed?