General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With motorcycle deaths rising--are helmet laws needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:59 PM
shovel pat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: With motorcycle deaths rising--are helmet laws needed?

pood the scrooch on that one didn't I
I agree!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:45 PM
barnyard
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: grunt

ORIGINAL: edilgdaor
More lives would be saved if we made people in cars wear helmets.
Should be mandatory for all stupid guys to wear a 'helmet'. Then the perpetuation of their idiocy would be stopped.
Grunt, you always seem to have a way to cut to the chase!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

The problem isn't helmets as much as it's dealers selling bikes to people who don't evenhave a motorcycle license and people buying more bike than they can handle.

Was at a HD dealership yesterday and some guy was asking a salesman questions about an Ultra....

Customer:I see some guys with their feet resting on something up front,can you put those on this bike ?

Salesman:Highway pegs.....sure we can put some on.

Customer:Can I get this bike equipped loud pipes ?

Salesman:Sure,we can do that.

Customer:Can I get this a lot more chromed out than this ?

Salesman:Sure,we can do that.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:01 PM
tank69
Advanced

Not that I'm trying to point fingers at one group of riders versus another, but I also ride a sportbike and I see so many "kids" buy these bikes and die within the first month. I live in AZ, canyon carving is abundant and easy to do, yet the first place most sportbike riders go, both young and old, is Canyon Lake, Tortilla Flats. If they are lucky, they make it to the restaurant, however most don't make it past the first few turns. So it's not only HD dealers that sell bikes to those who have no idea, it's EVERY dealer and it's a shame.

I wish I could say I was innocent of using Canyon Lake and Salt River Canyon as my own personal race track, but I'm not. Then again, I've been riding on the streets nearly 22 of my 38 glorious years of being on this earth. I guess I owe alot of my riding experience and education to my father who put me on two wheels at the ripe old age of 7. With that said, instead of pointing the fingers at helmet laws, how about riding lessons for first time buyers? At any rate, we'll be fighting the helmet debate for many years to come or until "big brother" steps in.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:16 PM
FBL2011
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the editors at KSTP are so concerned about safety, maybethey could write an article or two about enforcing our existing immigration laws and suggest deporting illegals caught driving drunk and unlicensed?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:43 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior

Helmits are for ppl who don't know how to fall....no lids here in PA!!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

exactly

ORIGINAL: celtlion

If the editors at KSTP are so concerned about safety, maybethey could write an article or two about enforcing our existing immigration laws and suggest deporting illegals caught driving drunk and unlicensed?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You think that they should make driving a cage and talking on a cell phone should be illegal? CD's, on board DVD's and all the other distractions in a car?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:08 PM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The number one reason more motorcyclists are dying is because they are starting out on bigger bikes than they can handle. Guys in their 50's who never road before think they should get a big Harley as their first bike. Or guys in their 20's who start out 1000 CC Crotch Rockets.

People die around here and they have helmets on. A lot of people in cages are dying.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 PM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: atomic

The number one reason more motorcyclists are dying is because they are starting out on bigger bikes than they can handle. Guys in their 50's who never road before think they should get a big Harley as their first bike. Or guys in their 20's who start out 1000 CC Crotch Rockets.

People die around here and they have helmets on. A lot of people in cages are dying.
Can't agree more. Most guys (of any age) have a macho mentality. This means they won't be seen dead on anything they don't think is the best of the best, which is usually a bike way out of thier skill range. Second, the same macho mentality leads them to do stupid stuff that good riders know dang good and well can kill you in a hurry! Riding a motorcycle is not simple...it is a learned skill. Encounter a situation on the road before you know how to handle that situation....and you're going down. Period. Sorry so long.

Quick Reply: With motorcycle deaths rising--are helmet laws needed?