General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 HD’s look awesome

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 09:28 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Thanks for all the well thought out points Prot. I thought you were getting back on your feet? The bikes are all waiting for you to ride. Hope today feels good for you.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:04 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

the $5k difference between a standard Road Glide and Road Glide Special. That's hard to digest.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,541 Likes on 6,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Thanks for all the well thought out points Prot. I thought you were getting back on your feet? The bikes are all waiting for you to ride. Hope today feels good for you.
I was getting better but I have had some setbacks again plus I nearly broke my left foot Saturday. Doctor thought it was broken but X-rays showed it isnÂ’t.

On Friday I walked to the dealer after having lunch and saw the sport Glide in person. I liked it better online than in person for two reasons. First it seemed like a small bike. Secondly those saddlebags seem cheap for a bike that is five thousand dollars more expensive than the bike it is mostly based off of which is the low rider. I got a second look at the low rider and it is kind of growing on me, especially the white one, even though it seems small. I think starting with a low rider then turning it into a DIY Sport Glide might be better. In other words, use the Sport Glide for inspiration but execute it better using better bags etc.

I would like to point that when the springer Softail first came out, it looked goofy as hell because the front fender was probably a couple of inches away from the tire. A few years later, they resolved the issue that made them have to design it that way and it was revised to ride close to the tire like on a normal front end. I think we are going to see that sort of evolution happen with these new bikes.

Last edited by Prot; 04-20-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:55 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
As noted... In one of the sentences in my post that you edited out in your quote... I mentioned other variations to account for possibilities not stated or considered. Certainly my theory was not meant to be all inclusive - as if there were no other possibilities.

Perhaps some - if not all - good points... As I noted in other parts of my post (that you also edited out of your quote), I'm not a buyer of the new M8 for some of these exact reasons.

For the most part (besides the forgotten mud guard), these seem like personal beefs/preference issues.

If that's referring to me, then it's misplaced. As noted I haven't bought for the reasons already stated.

My M8? I don't have one. Again, I'm standing by waiting for these new model teething pains to be dealt with (which seems typical for new models). As to the early adopters, I can only thank them for being the beta testers for the rest of us. Sooner or later, I suspect HD will get past this and things will be ironed out. Once there I'll certainly be interested.

As to my theory... You may not like it... But I think it fits many more than one would like to admit. All you have to do is read some of the vitriol being spewed and it seems obvious. On the other hand, there's others such as yourself that give actual concrete arguments to their reasoning and avoidance/disinterest in the new models. Like I said, my theory isn't a catchall, but it's one/a theory. I like it and I'm sticking to it.
T^2,

All is good - I just wanted to provide similar as to what the M8 crowd throws at all the previous makes & model owners, you have those starting threads whom I don't even know if they do own a M8 - most show pics other than what looks like a photo shopped bike under cover or a pic at a dealership.

Your line above in bold seems to be the mainstay for most - its not that the new is unobtainable, it is too expensive for what it is IMHO, I look at these bikes a lot & was just at the dealer this weekend - I can not justify a price increase on a bike that has been cheapened in every way - my opinion, yes these are personal beefs & preferences as you stated.

so lets start there: seat = personal & the upgrade is $800+, Luggage is personal preference & IMHO is just not usable, to put the tour pack on over $900 plus passenger floorboards eh another $100 (conservative here) so now I have a 22k bike with almost 2k in necessary to me add ons.

Now I'm at 24k for a bike with issues on the horizon that will need addressed - No thanks for now! I'm a practical person & 24k for the heritage model that boasts what a new mill & mono shock - big deal. Not to mention the absurdity of what I mentioned elsewhere here, Cmon - HD could of done better for what they are asking. My theory is same as yours but with a brash reality check for those who think the M8 is great. wait till you have to put a cookie sheet mud guard on to save the electrical componentry on your 22k Harley. Wow!

Aside from my blasting of BS I did not mean any ill comment to you & enjoy the discussion we are having here, if it is considered discussion ? LOL, - BTW. when HD gets the sumping fixed, when the aftermarket comes out with a duel exhaust & saddlebags that are bigger (like the function of the new ones -make em bigger or an option) & some of the "personal preferences" are addressable................Ill prolly buy me a new M8 heritage.

Originally Posted by cvaria
awesome on that antique is a matter of opinion. not every one wants to that.

i definitely don't... i don't get the obsession with riding old bikes around. i'm also not over 40 and don't have that psychological hang up on old bikes that were out and about in the prior to 1990.

^that entire post and most of the posts in this thread can be distilled to this^

every single 2018 thread is exactly the same.
  • haters hating that haven't even ridden the bikes,
  • a few that did ride and know the bikes are great and just spewing hate
  • few honest folks saying they are nice and would like to get one but, aren't in the position
  • folks that bought a NEW bike in the last few years and they are livid there are new things other being new... because new.
  • folks that like the new bikes no questions asked
  • folks that bought the new bikes that a happy as hell
  • folks waiting out the problems that the first wave of buyers are dealing with and don't usually buy new.

probably left out a few but, that's the rub.
See this is where the M8 crowd is lost in their own delusional BS, I'm gonna spell it out as best as possible - We don't want a bike that is substandard to what we already have or the garage queen we can get for a hell of a deal.

I am just amazed that people don't find it absolutely absurd that a forum member has to create a mud guard out of a ef`n cookie sheet, that the fake fuel gauge has fallen off or the 2 sided tape let go!!!!! really - ??????? not to mention the myriad of other issues

And the M8 crowd will tell us - its the best bike Harley has ever built, but I'm gonna wait to see if the sumping issue gets fixed - WHY???? its the best motor ever!!!

Originally Posted by Prot
I’m not hating them, but just pointing out a few things I don’t like about them regarding their appearance that is quite easy to change and it is things that have always been changed in the past anyway such as wheels, handlebars, etc.

If the new Softails are anything like that 2017 Street Glide I tried before my health deteriorated so bad, then I will be happy. I suspect they are even better. FWIW, it is the twin cam engine that I I didn’t take an interest in. The M8 is a lot more appealing to me than the TC.

The new Heritage is almost one hundred pounds lighter than mine. That’s significant by itself.
Good post Prot & prayers for you to heal quickly! Not sure the bike is 100lbs lighter - its better balanced & seems like a lower center along with 30+ lbs off the weight - however I would probably add all the weight back on & then some.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:58 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
awesome on that antique is a matter of opinion. not every one wants to that.

i definitely don't... i don't get the obsession with riding old bikes around. i'm also not over 40 and don't have that psychological hang up on old bikes that were out and about in the prior to 1990.

^that entire post and most of the posts in this thread can be distilled to this^

every single 2018 thread is exactly the same.
  • haters hating that haven't even ridden the bikes,
  • a few that did ride and know the bikes are great and just spewing hate
  • few honest folks saying they are nice and would like to get one but, aren't in the position
  • folks that bought a NEW bike in the last few years and they are livid there are new things other being new... because new.
  • folks that like the new bikes no questions asked
  • folks that bought the new bikes that a happy as hell
  • folks waiting out the problems that the first wave of buyers are dealing with and don't usually buy new.

probably left out a few but, that's the rub.
So anyone who doesn't like the new M8 bikes are just haters and their viewpoints are irrelevant to you? That's hardly being objective.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:27 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,195 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
So anyone who doesn't like the new M8 bikes are just haters and their viewpoints are irrelevant to you? That's hardly being objective.

i said it's the same posts over and over with those examples, don't try to turn it into something else.

if you feel like i left out your particular brand of hate/"opinion"/display of disdain/boilerplate "don't like" statement/ [etc] ...whatever you want to call it, then add it to the list. this is an equal opportunity forum.

like i said, "probably left out a few but, that's the rub." i'm not apologizing for not making a more comprehensive summary of the gist of other people's comments. unless you are paying me... are you paying me?

Old 11-28-2017, 05:50 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 984 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane 68
not everyone can have one of these Lol
Not everyone wants one either.

You couldn't give me one..................

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 05:54 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 984 Likes on 551 Posts

I really like my M8.

I just hope the oil transfer is history.

I have my eye on a new '16 Ultra; just in case...............

Old 11-28-2017, 06:00 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Harley isn't giving a diddly stinking damn about us older riders. I'm not bad mouthing Harley, I'm just saying that they are trying to attract the younger riders for survival. If Harley was strictly catering to us old farts, when we die off so would Harley. Now these younger riders are use to seeing only one gas cap on a gas tank so they don't have a problem with it like I do. The list of things that I don't like about the 2018s can go on and on and on, so I'll close with this, I didn't like it when the car manufactures did away with points and condensers, but if they hadn't where would we be now?

Old 11-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,541 Likes on 6,324 Posts

Correction about my comment regarding weight.

My bike is 791 pounds. The new Heritage is 723 pounds. So it is a 68 pound difference.

Quick Reply: 2018 HD’s look awesome