General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 HD’s look awesome

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Generally, I like the way the New Softails look...especially the Fat Boy, and yes, I like the headlamp. Also love the new Heritage, though I would still prefer a Road King if I were going that way.

I have put 10,000 miles on my Road Glide since I bought it at the end of March, and (touch wood) I love the M8 engine...huge improvement over the Twin Cam in my opinion.

The one thing I do NOT like is the 3-gallon tank on so many Softails...that seems like a needless loss of function for the sake of (dubious) aesthetics...

Old 11-28-2017, 11:30 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Best you don't

Originally Posted by not a sock
Not everyone wants one either.

You couldn't give me one..................
also have newer 04 custom never been a showroom cookie cutter owner can't get into what they have there cool for average but not to my liking. So to each there own And put a sock in it. LOL. Wild bill

Attached Thumbnails -image.jpeg  
Old 11-28-2017, 11:49 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria

i said it's the same posts over and over with those examples, don't try to turn it into something else.

if you feel like i left out your particular brand of hate/"opinion"/display of disdain/boilerplate "don't like" statement/ [etc] ...whatever you want to call it, then add it to the list. this is an equal opportunity forum.

like i said, "probably left out a few but, that's the rub." i'm not apologizing for not making a more comprehensive summary of the gist of other people's comments. unless you are paying me... are you paying me?
Only if you accept coffee as currency. lol

The following users liked this post:
LXT (11-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 03:21 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I was getting better but I have had some setbacks again plus I nearly broke my left foot Saturday. Doctor thought it was broken but X-rays showed it isnÂ’t.

On Friday I walked to the dealer after having lunch and saw the sport Glide in person. I liked it better online than in person for two reasons. First it seemed like a small bike. Secondly those saddlebags seem cheap for a bike that is five thousand dollars more expensive than the bike it is mostly based off of which is the low rider. I got a second look at the low rider and it is kind of growing on me, especially the white one, even though it seems small. I think starting with a low rider then turning it into a DIY Sport Glide might be better. In other words, use the Sport Glide for inspiration but execute it better using better bags etc.

I would like to point that when the springer Softail first came out, it looked goofy as hell because the front fender was probably a couple of inches away from the tire. A few years later, they resolved the issue that made them have to design it that way and it was revised to ride close to the tire like on a normal front end. I think we are going to see that sort of evolution happen with these new bikes.
Sorry to hear about the setbacks. Watch that foot and stop kicking rocks!!

I'm excited for the evolution of the M8 too. I think they have a bright future. Heal up. You need to hit the road and get some wind.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:08 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria

i said it's the same posts over and over with those examples, don't try to turn it into something else.

if you feel like i left out your particular brand of hate/"opinion"/display of disdain/boilerplate "don't like" statement/ [etc] ...whatever you want to call it, then add it to the list. this is an equal opportunity forum.

like i said, "probably left out a few but, that's the rub." i'm not apologizing for not making a more comprehensive summary of the gist of other people's comments. unless you are paying me... are you paying me?
The overall timbre of your statements here is that if you don't like the new bikes, then you're the problem. Adding a 2% sliver in your pie chart labeled "other" doesn't remove that.

So that said - There are a ton of us here that don't fit into the categories that you put emphasis on. I'll just speak personally as someone who has been riding a long time, has owned many motorcycles of many brands, and can afford to buy the new bikes. In fact I fully intend to add another bike to the garage in the spring -

I bought my current bike - a 2014 SGS because it was the best touring bike available for our needs. It was a much improved bike over the 2011 Ultra Classic that we had. The UC was great, but it needed improvement in power and handling that the SGS delivered. The choice to buy the bikes had nothing to do with "heritage" or "freedom" or doo rags....etc. It was about getting the best touring bike for us. But I will admit, having that Harley "feel" was an added bonus.

Fast forward to this year - I was super excited about the rumors of the common core frame and a mono shock. As much as I like our SGS, it could really benefit from a weight reduction, better suspension, and more power. When I saw that it was actually the Softail/Dyna line that was revamped, I was definitely disappointed. I thought it was a bad idea then, and I think it's a bad idea now. Why? Harley Softails beat every other manufacturer at one thing - being a Harley. I'll quickly say that's not a bad thing. It's an intangible that Harley owners have demanded for decades, and I believe the reason the Moco even exists today. I've had all of one, ridden more than a few, and I will say they are not for me, but they sure were for a lot of folks. The Dynas were, to me, a more nimble version of the Softail (obvious mechanical differences not withstanding). I like them and may get one as an around town bike, but in the end, they too only beat the competition at being a Harley. But now they don't exist. At all.

Despite my misgivings, I love motorcycles so I went to the Pilgrim Rd plant and demo'd a few of the bikes. I've posted my review, as well as my opinions many times here, so I won't belabor this - in short the pros (to me as a motorcyclist - not a Harley guy) are - improved ride, power, and handling - no question about it. The cons for me are deal breakers though - the bikes are too small for me, and in my opinion, too expensive for what you get. And as a Harley guy, they feel insufficiently Harley. Not that I would have bought one if they felt more Harley, but hopefully you get my drift. It's just my take, and not meant to insult anyone who buys one. As mentioned - they are unquestionably better performing bikes. After riding them I can see why those that bought them would enjoy them. But is it the formula the Moco needs to succeed? I can't know that, but as I said, I think not.

As far as the M8 and the new touring bikes - remove the mechanical aspect of a new motor design (which I could care less about) and they're not new. They're pretty much the same bike I have with a different TQ curve and potential motor issues (well beyond the sumping). Sure, the M8 motor feels stronger when riding one. But on the road, stop light to stop light there really isn't a big difference. I've ridden with friends who have them and it's not like they're waiting for me at each turn. In the end they are both 900ish pound, sub 100 HP touring bikes that pretty much do the same thing the same way. So I'm not inclined to pay over $10k just to have a newer bike that isn't, imo, all that much improved.

The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
baka1969 (11-29-2017), LXT (11-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:25 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,172 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
T^2,

All is good - I just wanted to provide similar as to what the M8 crowd throws at all the previous makes & model owners, you have those starting threads whom I don't even know if they do own a M8 - most show pics other than what looks like a photo shopped bike under cover or a pic at a dealership.

Your line above in bold seems to be the mainstay for most - its not that the new is unobtainable, it is too expensive for what it is IMHO, I look at these bikes a lot & was just at the dealer this weekend - I can not justify a price increase on a bike that has been cheapened in every way - my opinion, yes these are personal beefs & preferences as you stated.
Definitely agree with that (see bold). It's the reason that I have a hard time with the notion of buying new. I just can't see plopping down that kind of change on a bike. Particularly when you consider that it's a blank canvas and mods will likely ensue - adding to the cost. It's also a Harley that - even though I really like them - come at a premium even though they are dated/less advanced compared to much less expensive offerings from other brands. Right now, I would like to have a Heritage or Deluxe to fill certain needs. If I want the current version, then I can buy new or wait. My preference at the moment is to try have patience and wait it out. Wait until issues seem to be resolved and a nice used one comes available at a decent discount.

Originally Posted by LXT
so lets start there: seat = personal & the upgrade is $800+,
Funny... When I took the Heritage for a test ride, I thought it's seat was pretty comfy. I have no idea how it would fare on a long ride. Of course my perspective my be skewed, I currently ride a Nightster. The Vintage Mustang Solo on the Nightster isn't too bad, but I did note a difference between it an the stock seat on the new Heritage.

Originally Posted by LXT
Luggage is personal preference & IMHO is just not usable,
I do wonder about this. On the Heritage, I imagine it could become one of those mods that I mentioned above (increasing cost and adding motivation to the purchase of used vs. new).

Originally Posted by LXT
to put the tour pack on over $900 plus passenger floorboards eh another $100 (conservative here) so now I have a 22k bike with almost 2k in necessary to me add ons.
Yup... Those too.

Originally Posted by LXT
Now I'm at 24k for a bike with issues on the horizon that will need addressed - No thanks for now! I'm a practical person & 24k for the heritage model that boasts what a new mill & mono shock - big deal.
Yup... Similar thoughts... More reason I'm in a waiting pattern.

Originally Posted by LXT
Not to mention the absurdity of what I mentioned elsewhere here, Cmon - HD could of done better for what they are asking. My theory is same as yours but with a brash reality check for those who think the M8 is great. wait till you have to put a cookie sheet mud guard on to save the electrical componentry on your 22k Harley. Wow!
Yup... I agree... the mud guard thing seems pretty inexcusable.

Originally Posted by LXT
Aside from my blasting of BS I did not mean any ill comment to you & enjoy the discussion we are having here, if it is considered discussion ? LOL, - BTW. when HD gets the sumping fixed, when the aftermarket comes out with a duel exhaust & saddlebags that are bigger (like the function of the new ones -make em bigger or an option) & some of the "personal preferences" are addressable................Ill prolly buy me a new M8 heritage.
Yup... Similar thoughts...

All that said though... I still like my theory and think it accurately applies to a fair number. I don't think it's unique to this go around. I think it occurs every time a new version/model comes out and retires (renders obsolete) the old.