General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash Thread - Enter if you Dare!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 06:07 PM
Bartender
Club Member
Received 1,090 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Back in 07 I crashed at 65 MPH and did not even have enough time to let go of the throttle, and it did not do the 79 ford bronco any favors either. The windshield post on the bronco, I caved it in two inches with my helmet. It amazes me what a person can live through. In the last pic my arm was in the second cast, I had three of them.

Well, I think we finally found the definition of "BadAss".
Angles watching over you for sure!!

Old 12-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Oko
That's okay. some folks are too scared to talk about crashes. I suspect some of those would rather put a circle of salt around their bikes and sit in their garages, tightly hold their gremlin bells and click their leather boots and chant "there's no place like home".

Other might like to tell their stories.....
Well, no pictures, no circles of salt around the various bikes I've had over the years. But plenty of crashes. Hit from the left side (t-boned) hit from behind, hit from the front, left hand turn in front of me, ran over a deer, hit an oil slick in a curve, dug my footpegs into the asphalt where it caught sending me and my bike in different directions at the DMV (practicing tight curves), and more.

Yep, I have had my share of broken bones, left puddles of blood (which really must be nasty because the stain would last almost a year on the road) Had plenty of road rash, been pinned under a car with my bike still between my legs.

Okay, so I have a chitload of hardware including pins, screws, bolts, plates and a few rods.

And here's one for the vintage car crowd. I crashed and burned a '73 Barracuda doing better than 160mph. (had a 383 magnum under the hood with an A833 standard transmission for starters) Had skid marks better than 100 yards (damn deer jumped in front of me and I swerved to miss. BIG mistake) and when the car finally came to a rest up against some trees, it burst into flames. Somehow I came out without a scratch or scorch.

There's more, but these are just off the top of my head.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,261 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Man..... I got nothing on you guys!! 1971 on a 350 Kaw heading to work.... 4 lane road and I'm on inside lane, cruising about 55mph. Kid in front of me swerved to right hand lane because of 4-5 cars stopped making left hand turn. Truck to my right, oncoming traffic to the left.... both brakes engaged...decided not place to go but down, so off the front, lock the rear. Cross up and laid it down.... can still remember, in slow motion, the bike sliding beside me and I'm thinking damn...I haven't paid for it yet! Slid on my azz kissed the bumper, gas tank, and differential on a 68 Chevy Impala. Broke ankle, banged up knee, and tore my butt up. Still have beauty scars on my butt, and got a new knee in 2012...
Got the bike out 3 days later and rode it up the street....got caught by my soon to be wife... she was pissed I was on with a cast. But some of you have some good tales. I'm just happy we could all walk away!!!

Old 12-23-2017, 07:42 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,509 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Got a whole list of crashes. Most of 'em my fault.
Head-on (with a Husky going the wrong way during the "King of the Desert" race...)
Lowsided
Highsided
T-boned
Fallin' over about 100 times
Flipped over backwards during a hill climb (twice!)

So, yeah, I've been on the ground/asphalt/concrete...

Old 12-23-2017, 09:27 PM
justanotherjim
Road Master

Location: kingman AZ. We aren't in hell, but you can see it from here!!!
Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

It'll be 3 years in January, that I went down hard. It doesn't really matter the cause or why, But It was big rig not stopping at the stop sign like he was supposed to.
End result , I Biffed it! Big time!
I did everything they train you to do in the training classes.
Long story short, I lock up the brakes, I get hi sided and tossed of my ride. Missed the truck that didn't stop at the sign, like he was supposed to.
I get Life Flighted to Vegas, have a surgery to hold everything in place, and another 2 weeks later to put $45K worth of Titanium in my left leg, only to get it mostly pulled out 8 months later when the did a total knee replacement on me. I have now been diagnosed with PTSD! Because of this accident! WTF!!!

Last edited by justanotherjim; 12-23-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:29 PM
justanotherjim
Road Master

Location: kingman AZ. We aren't in hell, but you can see it from here!!!
Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

Please forgive the horrible writing in this post!

Old 12-23-2017, 09:44 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartender
Well, I think we finally found the definition of "BadAss".
Angles watching over you for sure!!
Well I wouldn't even make a pimple on a real "Bad ***'s" butt, I am just kindhearted Kevin trying to make friends every where i go. For sure I've got more than just Angles watching over me.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:30 PM
Bartender
Club Member
Received 1,090 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Well I wouldn't even make a pimple on a real "Bad ***'s" butt, I am just kindhearted Kevin trying to make friends every where i go. For sure I've got more than just Angles watching over me.
I don't doubt your who you say you are, but, the photo of you with the black eyes, broken arm and twisted up bike is classic. To survive a hit that hard is "BadAss". Everyone has their definition of the word. Surviving that is a miracle. As we get older I don't think we will do so well after a hard hit like that.

The following users liked this post:
6 gun (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 10:51 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Well I am not mean, or hateful, and I try not to strike fear in people, but with all the *** whippings, and hard knocks, and troubles I've been through in 58 years, I am tough as old boot leather, so I just keep on keeping on. Thank you for the complement.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:55 AM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

only been down on asphalt a few times, hit a rock on the highway with a 1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk and it split the front rim. instant tank slapper at 60 mph, couldn't hold it on the road and hit the pavement on the shoulder and tumbled into the ditch. broken collarbone and a bunch of bruises. about 20 years later I looped out my '01 XR 650L in a 4th gear wheelie showing off while going past a women's soccer game. only pride was hurt, wore some holes in my gear and some hard parts on the Honda sliding down the street.

had more than a few high speed crashes on dirt and snow, worst injury was a cracked sternum and several broken ribs. crashing sucks

Quick Reply: Crash Thread - Enter if you Dare!