General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash Thread - Enter if you Dare!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 10:50 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

I've had two incidents. Both were my stupidity.
Back in the 80's myself and six other buddies decided to ride to New Braunfels, Texas to raft the Guadalupe River. We left on a Friday afternoon and got there around 6pm. Some camped in pop up tents while others crashed on picnic tables after an evening of heavy partying. Saturday, we spent the entire day on the river followed by another night of partying.

Sunday we wake up to ride home, all hungover and feeling pretty badly. Had breakfast and started back. It was foggy that morning and "River Road" was slick due to the fog. We were riding too close together and too fast. I was second in the pack riding an 85, Honda V65, V-twin, 1100cc, Sabre. Guy in front of me on a Yamaha, Vmax goes down trying to panic brake a sharp curve. I react by downshifting instead of grabbing brakes which caused his problems, rear wheel lost traction and down I went. Long story short, every rider in our group ended up piled up in the apex of the curve. Luckily no one was injured other than scrapes and bruises. The bikes survived with tank dents, bent levers or broke turn signals. It was a long ride home.

The 2nd incident was really stupid. I was on a new to me 99 Aspencade, Goldwing. It was late August, 2001. I had stopped in a parking lot to return a page. Took my helmet off and sat it on the passenger seat behind me. Made and finished my call and turned around to grab my helmet. I still swear today I had put the kickstand on the wing down but I hadn't. The bike shifted when I turned to grab the helmet. Like a dumbass not wanting to scratch the bike I tried to hold it up with my left leg. I couldn't, lost center of gravity and fell. The bike ended up canted at a 45* angle on the engine guards, not a scratch. I however, popped the ACL, MCL and tore the meniscus in my right knee. Ended up off work for 9 months. Luckily I had good insurance.

Everyone will remember what they were doing on 9-1-1 and where they were.

I was on the sofa, knee propped up, eating corn flakes for breakfast when the first plane hit the first tower. That day seemed longer than the 9 months.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:58 AM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,608 Likes on 2,863 Posts

^^ I spent the oklahoma city bombing in front of the tv with a freshly broken foot.....but that was on the job, not the bike.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:57 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,554 Posts

after 50 years of riding i've broken my arm twice and my hand another time, collar bone once and crushed my shoulder once. but this last time in 2014 i had a deer run into the side of me and knocked me off the road and into a road sign that was already cut off with about 8 inchs still sticking out of the ground. it removed my left leg above the knee. it was all very fast. damn deer. they are ganging up on me after hunting them all my life.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:32 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,079 Likes on 2,832 Posts

Originally Posted by wlbowers
Got my Broken Wings. I've gone down twice in my life. The first one was scratches and Bruises.

Damn, sorry about your crash. Any chance you saved those mini gauges? I'd be interested in the volt meter if you did!!!