General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash Thread - Enter if you Dare!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,882 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default Crash Thread - Enter if you Dare!

Okay I'm bored, so I started this crash thread. I know there are some great survivor stories out there, so let's have them (& any pixs).

I'll start it off with my I hit a deer story. On a warm Nov. 1st in central NY 6 years ago, the sun had just set after a 65-degree day. I leathered up with jacket & chaps and instead of hitting the interstate to go home, I hit a side road to extend the ride. Well I crest a small hill and see two deer crossing from left to right. I start braking and look to the left for more. Then to the right and the smaller deer is moon walking back onto the road. I fixated on him and didn't see the twin come out from the left. I got to stand up and yell $%#! and hit it on my left front. Took the windshield off and left a 6" dagger of plastic sticking straight up. Clutch lever gone. I'm now into full skid. I'm still up. I'm gonna make it! But even with my dirt biker background, I can't get the rear end to stay straight. That's because half of Bambi is lodged as a greasy mess under the tire. As I slow down the bike starts bucking because of to high a gear and then I get the death wobble. All this over about 35-40 yards. I hit the pavement at about 10-15 MPH. Broke my left collar bone, bruised ribs, deep bruised hip and they told me I stretched my neck a bit. I lay there like a wimp swearing and wondering how much this is gonna cost me. I see a small pile of guts 2' away. I check my self and it's not me. It's Bambi's! Well I eventually did suck it up. I asked the cop if I could borrow his flashlight to check on the bike in the ditch. He said, "You bikers are all cut from the same cloth. DON'T go in the ditch!"
And then some local farmer comes up and asked if I wanted that deer. No, you can have it old timer. Yeesh!
Well I rode the bike a month late all fixed (front fender, windshield, levers, lights, crash bars). Collar bone still healing so left hand turns were a ^%$#!.

Okay so who's up next?

The following users liked this post:
CrBear (12-24-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 01:58 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Back in 07 I crashed at 65 MPH and did not even have enough time to let go of the throttle, and it did not do the 79 ford bronco any favors either. The windshield post on the bronco, I caved it in two inches with my helmet. It amazes me what a person can live through. In the last pic my arm was in the second cast, I had three of them.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:04 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

bad mojo dude.

Last edited by sixguns; 12-23-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:16 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Ok, so I got in before too many folks participate. And no I didnt read your post but you Take your crash post and shove it. bad mojo dude. but you folks go ahead. At least you gave a warning. [ enter if you dare ] I'll pass.
Funny. You said you'd pass, but you posted to the thread anyway. Then came back and edited your post.

I look at my crash as a learning experience, maybe somebody can avoid doing what I did.
My crash was caused by distracted riding. There were these two girls on rollerblades wearing short shorts, legs that went ALL the way up. I was looking at them instead of where I was going. Result, a shattered tibia and fibula (lower leg). Still have a steel plate and a bunch of screws in there. I keep a print of the x-ray on my garage wall to remind me not to do that again.

Last edited by deadhawg; 12-23-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:37 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhawg
Funny. You said you'd pass, but you posted to the thread anyway. Then came back and edited your post.
Yes, I posted my thoughts on these type threads. Then decided to not come off too brash saying the OP should shove his thread,so I made the edit.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,882 Likes on 1,461 Posts

That's okay. some folks are too scared to talk about crashes. I suspect some of those would rather put a circle of salt around their bikes and sit in their garages, tightly hold their gremlin bells and click their leather boots and chant "there's no place like home".

Other might like to tell their stories.....

Old 12-23-2017, 03:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,015 Likes on 17,510 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
bad mojo dude.
Yup, ain't going there.....

Old 12-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Shane T
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Back in the late 70's on my first street bike a KZ400 like this http://www.mrbadexample.com/sanders/kz1.jpg. I was on a one way city street, riding in left lane going past a line of cars in the right lane when one of them decided to turn into a parking lot on the left. I had no chance to roll off the throttle or grab and brake. Hit them just in front of the driver's door. I went through the windshield on my bike into the A pillar of the car, over the hood and landed on the grassy area between the street and sidewalk narrowly missing a sigh post. Walked away with just and injured big toe. Totaled my ride but learned my first lesson riding on the street. Don't trust anyone to do what they are supposed to.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:36 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Looks like some of us don't care to live these bad times over again. I know I don't

Old 12-23-2017, 04:40 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

Got my Broken Wings. I've gone down twice in my life. The first one was scratches and Bruises.

The second one almost killed me when a Dodge Ram truck turned in front of me. I was on a 2006 Low Rider. I don’t remember the truck. I don’t remember the EMT's, or the ride to the hospital.

I came back to reality after about 9 hrs. Laying in a hospital bed at the Memphis Trauma center. Everything I had hurt. Carol holding one hand, Pat, (Carol's Mother) holding the other.

Got a class 3 concussion. Fractured my skull at my forehead. Beat all to Hell everywhere else. Fracture Pattern was the size of a hand ball. Helmet saved my life. I don't ride with out one. Still got the old helmet. Never cleaned the blood that came out of my nose off. I see it every time I get on my Hog.

Wife said I was talking the whole time. Kept asking three questions. “What happen? Where am I? How is she?”

When my wife told me that she laughed at my expression. She said “No you didn’t have a chick on the bike with you. You were asking about your Damn Harley.

She asked me what kind of Truck I was going to get with my insurance settlement. I didn't even pause. I told her a Harley. She shook her head and told me I was crazy.

I was looking for a new ride the next day. It took me several painful minutes to get out of that damn waterbed. I could only use my left hand and couldn't focus on the monitor very well. My wife just shook her head. She did make me promise to get a good helmet. I did.

When I found a new Ride the guy wanted a deposit to hold it. I got lucky he had a bank that was in memphis. I drove downtown and dropped 2k in his account. It was only 4 days after the wreck. My vision was still a little fuzzy. Carol would still kill me if she knew.

Soon as the doctor said I could drive I loaded the wrecked Low Rider into my truck. It was at Bumpus on a sled. Off I went to Pennsylvania. He gave me $6000 for the Low Rider. Said someone in Japan had already bought it from the photo's I sent him. I swapped the gas cap for the one on the Softail

We loaded my 2007 Heritage FLSTC Black Cherry onto the sled. Only 2000 miles on her. I stayed overnight at a motel then headed home. 3 Days later I picked her up from Bumpus after a full service. Been riding ever chance I get since.

Last edited by wlbowers; 12-23-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Crash Thread - Enter if you Dare!