General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Help HD Execs Make Riding Great Again

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:32 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Statuesque
That's why if I go out of this world on two wheels, it will be with a smile on my face. I'm going to try to enjoy as much of this life as possible before mother nature takes me out.

Possibly more people are realizing that an accident doesn't necessarily mean going "out of this world on two wheels" or "mother nature takes me out", sometimes it is much worse. And considering odds/probabilities is more likely. And they don't feel the benefit/pleasure of riding justifies the possible downside?

The world is more populated and in a bigger hurry then when some of us began riding. Different conditions may mean different priorities?

The following users liked this post:
Statuesque (02-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:18 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Get back to real motorcycles, parts that function. Or put another way....lose the fake crap, ie. oil tank, fake gas caps. If you do t need an oil tank, then design around it. Don’t make a fake one. Commit fully. Have fing integrity. Get your *** back in the front, and lead....oh, yeah. Bring your prices down, so that younger people can afford one.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:40 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 902 Posts

Is it really as easy as H-D (or any mc manufacturer) building great bikes and selling an increasing number every year? By that I mean, is the issue really just about giving consumers what they want and that will solve the problem(s)? Seems way too simplistic in my mind.

There are just too many other factors and forces affecting mc purchases and ownership. Many of them have been mentioned. Things like disposable income, aging riders, perception of danger, risk-averse culture, lack of introduction to riding, and lots more. Savvy engineering, manufacturing and marketing will make a difference but it won't address most of the reasons why would-be riders are not getting on two wheels. The public's interest and demand for new motorcycles is simply not what it could be.

It's worth remembering the old cliché about perception being reality. You can talk until blue in the face, but riding is generally perceived as risky or even dangerous. Accurate or not, that's what a lot of people think. They propagate that idea in their discussions, attitudes and encounters with other people. The perception spreads. You won't talk them into a different mindset. It's like people thinking guns are dangerous. They aren't, but put them together with people and sometimes bad things happen. Unfortunately it becomes easier to blame guns (motorcycles) than the people who either hurt someone or get hurt by the gun...or motorcycle.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (04-09-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 06:06 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Have you noticed any of the millennials around?

They look and think differently from us old farts. I am afraid HD is facing a long road.

Electric Harley, who the **** I know would want that?

Old 02-10-2018, 02:13 PM
rollonfreebird
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightyear68
This article reports that HD's Kansas plan will shut down in 2019 and move 450 workers to York, PA, citing price as the main reason for HD's decreased U.S. sales. But scroll down to the first reader's post. Alex makes the case that HD's problem is more generalized to all motorcycling because of the "fear factor" instilled by overcautious helicopter parents and overbearing spouses. And I agree. I know many people who secretly want to own a Harley and ride, but they're afraid. They're literally in the closet...or our version would be, "In the garage."

I know many people who are secretly "In the garage" and need some help to come out. Recently, my cousin looks at my Harley and says to me, "Man I have always wanted a Harley..." and his wife grabs his arm, pulls him away and says, "Your a Dad now, time to grow up." And he shrugs his shoulders walks away, defeated. WTF? Being a Dad used to mean modeling true American grit, and freedom, and adventure. Many of us grew up like the kid in this photo. I keep it on my desktop to remind me what an awesome adventure my childhood was. What happened to us, America?

I think my cousin and millions like him, are the new HD market. They have the money. They have the desire. What they don't have is permission.

Now I'm not saying we should tell our wives to F-Off. I love my wife and would be lost without her. But there's a way to respectfully communicate, show mutual respect, and still be your own person. My wife would never admit it, but she is attracted to the rebellious side of me. If I followed her orders I would never have joined the Marines, got my tattoos, purchased a home defense shotgun, or have a Harley in the garage. I know deep down she loves that part of me that is...well...a Man.

This thread is our opportunity to speak directly to HD CEO Matt Levatich with our suggestions for getting closet riders to come out so we can Make Riding Great Again.

As I see it, the problem is the wuss-if-ication of American men and women. A tactful marketing campaign to target the millions of Americans like my cousin is a start. He just needs permission to buy and ride.

C'Mon Willie G and Mr. Levatich. Get HD's brightest minds together and figure out how to give these tortured souls permission to break out of their hum-drum existence and start living life as the adventure it should be.
Great read, totally agree, thanks for sharing

Old 02-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by rollonfreebird
Great read, totally agree, thanks for sharing
That post has a good point. Unless you are an avid rider when you first meet your girl it's understandable she might not like motorcycles. My dad only started riding in his 50s and my mom hated it(now they are divorced). It's a lot easier when you date a chick who understands riding is a big part of your life, other than a fad.

Also now that I think about it out of all my friends who have their own place, none of them have garages or a place to store a bike. That alone makes buying a bike kinda pointless. No bike should have to sit in rain and snow.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:41 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

"I think my cousin and millions like him, are the new HD market. They have the money. They have the desire. What they don't have is permission....

C'Mon Willie G and Mr. Levatich. Get HD's brightest minds together and figure out how to give these tortured souls permission to break out of their hum-drum existence and start living life as the adventure it should be."

Perhaps the 'Streets' or, heaven forbid, Metrics could be used to show 'permission givers' that new riders are serious? And that riding a motorcycle is not as dangerous as some non-riders think it is? Of course this is not entirely dependent on high level HD echelon and could be performed by new riders themselves?

If someone is really serious their first, second, or third scooter doesn't have to define them.

Last edited by rjg883c; 02-10-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:12 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

The dealers are the gatekeepers to bike sales. Fix them first.

e.g. more dealers than not are a real pain in doing their primary job- selling bikes. Instead of finding a way to sell a bike to any guy/gal of any age, income etc...they mark-up what is already expensive, toss in those BS fees, and pull some elitist stunt pretending it's still the dot-com era.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:34 PM
fxbrry
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostbite
TPMS? If you can't tell by the feel of the bike that you're getting a low tire then maybe you shouldn't be riding...
True that!!

Old 02-11-2018, 01:44 AM
13dino
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,251 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Never seen pressure from family dictating to not ride a bike when poor, or when living in noncongested traffic areas.

With today's people texting on a cell and barely paying attention to the road, most city females not from a family of riders are concerned. They don't want the unfortunate happen to their soulmate. But country girls don't mind.

Quick Reply: Let's Help HD Execs Make Riding Great Again