General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Help HD Execs Make Riding Great Again

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:36 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Holy crap!!! Look what the cat dragged in. I see you finally graduated from banned camp. This one's for you eshaw...

Old 02-22-2018, 11:55 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Eshaw301
BINGO!!!! The HD riders are the reason HD is failing the most. Nobody wants to go to a bike event nowadays and see maga hats and confederate flags all over the damn place.

Maybe where you go but, and PLEASE anybody reply, else had this happen to them.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:15 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

What I always find interesting about the criticism I hear about Harley is the continued copycat models other manufacturers offer to include the V Twin motor. I think Harley has done a fine job of cracking the code on keeping the look that has worked for 100+ years yet with new style and a smoother engine. While I agree with many of the previous posts about peoples perception of motorcycle riders, how they look, dress, etc, there are countless YouTube videos of people hurting themselves or others on all types of motorcycles. Especially those that like to stop traffic while they do handstands and other dangerous stunts like wheelies on Interstate Highways or try to outrun the police.

Harley needs to do more to change that perception with the current and future generations of perspective motorcycle buyers. We read many incidents of Hollywood types killing themselves in Porches, etc. Yet we see more and more horsepower going into cars of every type. Why? because people understand it's wasn't the car that killed the driver, it was the driver's poor judgment that led to the outcome.

With regards to price, I don't think people mind paying more if they know they are getting a quality product with the manufacturer standing behind it. Perhaps Harley needs to up their warranty and take customer feedback about their product and their dealers more seriously? You can have the best products on the plant but if your dealers are giving poor service then it's game over. Nothing kills a business faster than poor customer service, and of course products that don't live up to the cost of investment.

Last edited by mmesa005; 04-08-2018 at 02:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
harleybob815 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 732 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackacre
tell them to:
1. Make a tracker that will beat a ftr1200
2. Make a bike we can take off road. Like a ktm 790 or 1290.

as for the guy who won't stand up to his wife...he just needs to go take a MSF class or Harley riding class and then kust buy a bike. She might grumble for 2 weeks but deep down she will respect him for being a man.
Oh BS, my wife hesitantly was ok with me getting a bike and even let me trade it in once. She rode on the back a couple times the first couple of years but she keeps seeing reports of bike accidents and only the motorcycle Rider dying. Two years ago a father and son died in an accident 10 miles from me. Now she refuses to get on the back, refuses to let my kids get on the back, and I have to text her on my rides at every stop or she has a nervous breakdown. Not everyone respects people that put the ability to be able to take care of their kids at risk for a thrill.

StoneTrekker (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:29 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,574 Likes on 2,985 Posts

One thing Harley needs to consider... the younger demographic they are wanting to reach will not be reached with racing flat track racing. Hell, I'm 61 years old and find it a real Zzzzzz.... Just another example of the old school mindset on Harley's part.

If Harley is truly serious, then they need a GP style bike and get back into road racing. THAT is what sells to the younger generation, at least the one's interested in riding. The bikes they are buying from the Japanese makers is proof of that.

The following 2 users liked this post by firehawk6:
Jay Guild (04-09-2018), rauchman (04-09-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 12:05 PM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
One thing Harley needs to consider... the younger demographic they are wanting to reach will not be reached with racing flat track racing. Hell, I'm 61 years old and find it a real Zzzzzz.... Just another example of the old school mindset on Harley's part.

If Harley is truly serious, then they need a GP style bike and get back into road racing. THAT is what sells to the younger generation, at least the one's interested in riding. The bikes they are buying from the Japanese makers is proof of that.

I agree with you completely. I'm 70 and while I find flat track not a complete snooze, it isn't particularly exciting either. Now, as to H-D doing the road race thing ... they have tired that in the past and they got their colorectal tract handed to them on a silver platter. The level of competition at the national, never mind world level is, quite simply, beyond their engineering abilities. Frankly, I don't know how they can fix this "problem" given their current financial situation.

As I type this, a flat track race will be beginning shortly. Let's hope that the new and improved H-D XG750R with a set of DOHC heads will make them more competitive with the rest of the field (they didn't do so well at the Daytona TT). If they do well at this level maybe, just maybe, they might try playing with the "big boys" in road race land. :-)

Old 04-09-2018, 11:32 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Well, Myself, I definitely preferred the way Harley was building bikes the first hundred years, before folks on social media started dictating what do-dads and trinkets needed to be on them.

HarleyD1929 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:38 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

how come everyone wants harley to not go out of business? I could care less, theres enough harleys out there to last a lifetime as it is and why do i care if the owners of harley make a ton of money.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:26 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by xyzzyxyzzy
I agree with you completely. I'm 70 and while I find flat track not a complete snooze, it isn't particularly exciting either. Now, as to H-D doing the road race thing ... they have tired that in the past and they got their colorectal tract handed to them on a silver platter. The level of competition at the national, never mind world level is, quite simply, beyond their engineering abilities. Frankly, I don't know how they can fix this "problem" given their current financial situation.

As I type this, a flat track race will be beginning shortly. Let's hope that the new and improved H-D XG750R with a set of DOHC heads will make them more competitive with the rest of the field (they didn't do so well at the Daytona TT). If they do well at this level maybe, just maybe, they might try playing with the "big boys" in road race land. :-)
Flat track on the tube is not all that great. Attend on in person and you will be on the edge of your seat. Thrilling to say the least. My 2 cents.
kk

Old 04-09-2018, 12:51 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by moparnut72
Flat track on the tube is not all that great. Attend on in person and you will be on the edge of your seat. Thrilling to say the least. My 2 cents.
kk
About 60 years ago my father took me to attend a flat track race. I'm not sure where it was but we lived in the Chicago area. I didn't know what is was but it was real exciting, the noise, smells, etc.. After getting older, and living here in the desert, I began desert racing. Now I even enjoy watching races on the tube.

They, races on the tube, are not 'thrilling' but still enjoyable. Perhaps it helps to have experienced things and be able to 'identify' with the activity. Since not everyone lives in an area, or is unable for some reason, to personally experience the thrill; sometimes living vicariously is better then nothing.

Quick Reply: Let's Help HD Execs Make Riding Great Again