General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you get interested in motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How did you get interested in motorcycles?

For me it was my brother at first. He got himself a rebel when he was in high school and I had my heart set on buying it from him when he went to college, however that did not happen. My mother had other ideas...LOL. So when I was 22 I was working for a majot motion picture studio in the mailroom and some motorcycle messengers began hanging around for "rush" deliveries. Slowly I began to inquire about learning to ride a motorcycle with them. One of the "sod's" (they were both british) volunteered to help me find a motorcycle and encouraged me to get my permit. A couple of weekends later we were off to look at a bike. 1979 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR that was in decent shape although it needed some tlc. I ended up purchasing it for a little over $400 if I remember correctly. He rode it home and I began to learn about motorcycles.

I had been given a little owners handbook with the bike,and it explained how to ride the bike so I read it over and over for a while until I felt I could get the bike moving and understood where the clutch and brakes were. I woke up at about 6am on Saturday morning and was out in the parking lot across the alley from my apartment. Going in circles. Over and over and over until I felt comfortable. I dropped the bike once or twice, no big deal or damage. No injuries as well.

Next I ventured out onto the street. the permit states that I can legally ride on the street with the permit between sunup and sundown without a passenger and not on the freeway. So i hit the street and rode around a bit. I live in Los Angeles and the streets around where I live are extremely crowded with cars. This was before the cell phone craze thank god. I got comfortable riding the streets on that bike and rode it to work everyday. Of course I always wanted a Harley and when I finally had the money I bought one. I haven't ever looked back on any bike I rode. I have had many. How did your motorcycle experience begin?

Old 06-22-2007, 08:57 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: How did you get interested in motorcycles?

good question,, I really dont know what made me crazy for bikes,,,, been in my blood since birth
my european grandfather was big on bicycles and motorbikes in Holland.
owned one of the biggest factories, till Hitler's boys came and destroyed it

Old 06-22-2007, 09:06 PM
MikeyB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my Dad and the movie 'On Any Sunday'.

MikeyB

Old 06-22-2007, 09:28 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my parole officer said I needed a hobby

Old 06-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Katie
Elite HDF Member

Thought it would save my marriage, but it ended up saving me...

Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

I always have liked the feeling of high speed wind and I have always enjoyed the sound of well tuned motors. I street drag raced as a youg man in my teens and enjoyed a bit of danger. There are times when I just dont want to hear a human voice and just want to hear some nice sounding pipes. Most of what I am describing came in my earlier years from hot cars and racing illegally ahaha. What can incorporate all the above and do it legally. A motorcycle. Great sounding engine, pipes that are not to loud but loud enough, dont have to listen to a human voice, I am by myself riding, and finally a bit of danger. Our sport is dangerous if not handled correctly and we could pay the ultimate price if we are not wise. Thats what did it for me.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:35 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

My dad got me a Yamaha PW 50 when I was 4, 2 days after I learned how to ride a bicycle, I rode it around my yard & we went up north & rode the trails I was hooked forever after that. My 1st street bike was a yamaha XS 400 Special II My 1st Harley was a 1995 Sportster XLH It was too small I only rode it 2K in 4 years, afte thaT I GOT MY Springer, been in heaven ever since

Old 06-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Rininhoj
Cruiser

The interest? Evil Kenevil, Fonzi & my father saying how stupid it was & "Not as long as you live in my house".

Actualy sliding one into the garage? A friend needed transportation after a break up w/GF. In Jersey it's $500 min for car insurance, no counting price of car. My GFs father had a suzy 650 sittin, was willing to part with it for $50. It needed work & I was always a wrench. Buddy couldn't afford a new battery so we kept trying to kick start it till wore out then roll/push start it down the hill & around the lake, about 3/4 mile. When it finaly started he asked how we were gettin it home. I said i'll ride it, he said can you? I said I'll let you know when We're back @ my house.

LSS I had to get my license 1st to teach him to ride. He had no mechanical understanding of clutches & shifting. First time he got on it the bike left my driveway on the rearwheel headed for a telephone pole. He was still standing next to me. GF helped me sneak in a 500 Shadow that I rode for about 3mos & 7000 miles. Then went looking for a bigger V twin metric 1000cc or bigger. Problem was in 1989 those sizes where new & couldn't find used ones for sale. Ended up taking an '86 Softail for a test ride through hill country & that was all she wrote. No tach , no idea what gear I was in, but it was pullin up them hills with *****. Brought it home & dad said " well if yer ridding that, atleast its big ".
Rini

Old 06-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Dad used to ride all 3 of us kids around on his knuckle head chopper back in the 60's. His Dad had a bike, he had a bike, I have a bike, and I hope someday my kids have bikes. There's just always been a bike in the garage since I can remember.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:47 PM
dionne51
Road Captain

When I was 8 or 9 all of the kids that lived around me were about 4 years older and riding Enduros....I thought they were the coolest things I had ever seen.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15815/56A6F5DB45284D69B3C25904E615A7B0.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: How did you get interested in motorcycles?