General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Harley - a few surprises

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 317 Posts
Default My first Harley - a few surprises

2018 Street Glide with the 6.5 BoomBox.

Granted, the majority of my motorcycle experience comes from sport bikes, so some of this might just be due to that, but I have had serious "WTF HD" moments.

#1 - To key or not to key: So unless I get my key out and lock the ignition, anyone can just walk up and start it. So now, pull out my key, lock it, put my key back in my pocket. It's double the effort of any other vehicle (unless you have the security module). At least if you want it secured. At least make it so I can turn and push it down to lock without the damn key.

#2 - The batwing storage and USB interface: I bought a little keyring fob garage door opener. Decided that would be a good place to keep my key so I didn't get on the bike without it. It's deep enough to hold a modern smartphone, but getting the key was damn near acrobatic. But the real rant is the implementation. The USB is so damn stiff, it puts your iPod cable, USB stick, etc. in a bind against the door. It's just a didn't think it through moment.

#3 - still that damn batwing storage: So you gave me this nice place to stuff my iPod, Zune, phone, etc. and plug it in. I guess it's a good thing I've already got to dig my key out of my pocket because anything in that storage isn't secure. So it all has to come out and go with me, or in the hard bag so sticky fingers doesn't find it.

#4 - general security: Sure the hard bags lock, but again, you need the key to lock. So I either give up half of my usable cargo space and leave one locked to keep my registration, insurance card, emergency tools, raingear, etc. all locked up, or I risk forgetting to lock it and goodbye gear. Not to mention the hardbags themselves. Easy off is pretty nice for the people who clean more than ride, but damn. For a $20k plus price, there should be a lock everything / unlock everything electronic system. I walk away from my truck and with one button, it locks all the doors and the tailgate.

#5 - handling: Cruising down the road sitting upright, tunes on, and let the cruise control manage my speed is nice! That's what it's all about; enjoing the ride. That is until I go around a turn, hit a bridge seam or other surface defect. Defects are just harsh. They were harsh on a race tuned (stiff) sportbike suspension, but damn.... just damn. Then it just feels like the whole chassis is flexing. 840 pounds of spring steel maybe? I think I need to load "Wobble Baby" on my iPod. Then there's the interstate pigtail ramp. Crap suspension plus flex and it feels like my trackbike at full lean at 100mph when I'm spinning the rear out of a corner. Tire feedback? I can't feel anything with this block of jello between me and the wheels.

#6 - gravity: It's heavy, and I knew that going in. The GSX-R had a 32" seat height. Hard to back up on your toes. But, no worries, walk around the front, grab the bars and push back. This pig, not so much. I've found myself looking for level parking, or backing it in. Which is fine, but not fun in a busy parking lot. It's no GoldWing, but an electric reverse assist isn't a horrible idea.

#7 - gear indicator: It's nice to have. My first GSX-R didn't have one (or a fuel gauge for that matter), and I'd look for 7th gear on the highway sometimes. This one works well, but only when you're in gear and rolling. Pull up to a busy intersection and look down. Blank. The thought goes through your head "am I in 2nd, or in 1st". Suzuki has a sensor on the shift drum, and I don't think that would work for the HD design. Either make it work, or don't. Although, I am starting to look at it when I anticipate a stop and the just count.

#8 - the jiffy stand: Locking in the down position while there's weight on it is a huge win over the sportbikes. But no sensor? I wonder how many people hit their starter, even by accident in first gear on the stand, with the clutch out. I even have a neighbor we nicknamed "kickstand" because we had to yell it at him everytime we took off. He just forgot to put it up....every time! The other part I don't like is how that lock works. If you park on a soft surface and need a plate, have fun. That SOB is going to make contact with the ground and then want to go 4 inches out. Sometimes it takes the plate, and sometimes it skips off. It's a two person job.

#9 - metric bikes: Nostalgia aside, why in the hell has HD not moved to the metric system? Metric units are a scientific standard. Any one can be recreated by a combination of the others. It's base 10, and it seems everyone else in the world has accepted it. That is except for the US DOT and their stupid mile markers.

#10 - checking fluids: It's like a progression of frustration. The engine oil isn't difficult, but a sight glass would have been way better than a messy dipstick. But I can deal with a dipstick. At least I thought I could until I went to check the transmission. Nope, need a 3/8" allen key for that one. It's - a - dip - stick. There's one just like it right there! Why isn't this one hand removable? Fine, whatever. Primary.... well, I think we all know where this is going.

I don't mean to dig on HD too much. I mean, I bought the thing didn't I? I could do this same thing for every other motorcycle I've owned. It just seems to me that the engineering department is doing more work to make these things the "Mr. Potato Head" of motorcycles with all the multi-model fit parts. I wish they'd have put a little more thought into the experience of the daily rider.

Last edited by Crabchuck; 05-03-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Top Answer

05-03-2018, 06:59 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

This is Carnac the Magnificent....I predict this thread is going to be entertaining.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:59 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

This is Carnac the Magnificent....I predict this thread is going to be entertaining.

The following 11 users liked this post by FXDXTSport:
BFREE (05-05-2018), BobRed0965 (05-04-2018), Buck05 (05-04-2018), Capt Steve (05-05-2018), chico08 (05-06-2018), DanHappy (05-04-2018), JB Johnson (05-04-2018), MacTarnahan (05-05-2018), mctraveler (05-04-2018), uncle kebo (05-06-2018), wyndnface (05-04-2018) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-03-2018, 07:03 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

I'll do 1, 5, 9

Security should be standard by now.

You might want to get your shocks adjusted. I know Harley rolls the Softails out with the shocks set for little girls. Dealers should be adjusting them on a new buy, but they're just not.

Metric isn't really going to happen anytime soon. The entire country is built on Imperial standard. Anything short of a cataclysm that wipes America clean isn't going to change that fact. I get aggravated when I find metric parts on my bike. Because then, the bike is mixed and that's just a GD PITA. Sorry, you'd have to wait until HD opens a factory overseas and brings some back before we get a full metric HD.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:06 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
Because of your statement, I had to read it..........

Old 05-03-2018, 07:13 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

How well did you look at the model before the purchase? Did you do a test ride prior to the purchase? Harleys do have their nuances, when I bought my bagger I was amazed at all the storage space and ability to lock things up before the wife and I walk away. Stuff people might want to "borrow" when am not looking gets locked up with the helmets in the tour pack. Hope things work out for you and your new purchase.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:32 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

seriously? these are your big gripes? most of them sound like you just need to get used to it. you were on other bikes before, so you've grown accustomed to their nuances, now you just need to change to these.

two things, if the bike is in gear and you go to start it, it won't turn over. you either have to have the clutch pulled in, or the bike in neutral. so cross that off your list.

also, and this is a big one. we don't need, nor want no stinking sensor on the jiffy stand. it's just fine the way it is. and you'll learn how to park you bike by yourself soon enough. i've never had to do it as a 'two person job', even with parking in grass on a kickstand puck.

and what's with the metric thing? there are a lot of metric bolts on your bike, and a couple that are either/or. whats the big deal? engine size? i know mine is 1802 cc. that's how my insurance classifies it. 110 inch, 1802 cc. whats the difference?

and general security. is it really so hard to pull a key out of your pocket to lock/unlock a saddlebag?

i'm sorry, most of what i saw in your post was entirely a non issue. the handling? thats an issue, and i'll wager to bet that it isn't normal, you've got something out of adjustment that needs to get taken care of.

Last edited by skratch; 05-03-2018 at 09:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (05-04-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 07:40 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I’ve never read such a complete listing of all things butthurt.

The following 6 users liked this post by Cygnusx51:
02603SEC (05-03-2018), chico08 (05-06-2018), DanHappy (05-04-2018), fsae0607 (05-04-2018), ole_phart (05-04-2018), wyndnface (05-04-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-03-2018, 07:42 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Tldr!

Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

So have you bought all the cliche pirate gear?

The following 3 users liked this post by Cowboy Rob:
02603SEC (05-03-2018), JB Johnson (05-04-2018), wyndnface (05-04-2018)
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Our word for the day - whiner. As in "my USB cable is bent".

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (05-04-2018)

Quick Reply: My first Harley - a few surprises