General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered new Shoei J Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 09:22 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,885 Likes on 6,933 Posts

I did check these out at Cycle Gear in Greensboro, NC. However I stopped in there last week and they quit stocking Shoei. They had a ton of BILT helmets.

I looked online at the top three and did consider the Neotech also. The reviews on Shoei are very good. I appreciate the post comment about the 95 degree day. I sure hope it is comfortable to me in warmer conditions.

I bought WHITE which has become our favorite color. Cooler, they show up very well. When we first starting wearing white helmets we noticed people noticing the helmet. The prices are all over the place however when you drill down many of the lowest prices are shipping from outside the US and are for smaller sizes. The price that was coming up on many sights I visited was $499.99. There was one sight for $449.00. However with the Amazon instant gift card my final price was $429.00. I'm good with that number. As it is a local vendor that will exchange if the size does not work out right.

Now I'm just waiting for the FedEx truck.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Here's my Arai 3/4 helmet; it has a DOT and SNELL rating; no chin bar. Arai doesn't use the drop down tinted visors like the J Cruise and many others have. They believe it compromises shell integrity. My other helmet is a modular but when I ride my Road King this is what I wear. It makes it easier to see the speedo/tach/signal indicators on the tank without dipping my head from the road (to see past the chin bar). Worst "improvement" made to the Electra Glide Sport when it became the Road King.

This has been bugging me for a couple of days now. First of all, what model helmet is that?

If you go to the Snell Foundation website, they clearly show a chin bar test as part of their certification:

http://www.smf.org/testing

BUT, per this list, this is most of the helmets that carry the Snell rating for 2015 are full face:

http://www.smf.org/certlist/std_M2015

I am not doubting you, I'm just surprised Arai (and one model Shoei) can get Snell with an open face helmet. That must be one hell of a strong shield on that helmet to withstand the chin impact test.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:21 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Backwards, that is Snell. And it cannot be a modular.
Oh really?

Snell rated modular

Snell 2010 List, there it is.

Last edited by TeaRunner; 05-19-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:28 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
This has been bugging me for a couple of days now. First of all, what model helmet is that?

If you go to the Snell Foundation website, they clearly show a chin bar test as part of their certification:

"The chin bar test applies to full face motorcycle, special application racing and kart racing helmets."

So it doesn't apply to open face helmets.

Old 05-19-2018, 11:40 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

BUT, per this list, this is most of the helmets that carry the Snell rating for 2015 are full face:

I am not doubting you, I'm just surprised Arai (and one model Shoei) can get Snell with an open face helmet. That must be one hell of a strong shield on that helmet to withstand the chin impact test.
Matt,

I can't say for sure how they did it, like you, I always thought it had to be a full face helmet or it couldn't get the Snell rating. My helmet is called a CT-Z and it was aimed primarily at the ADV crowd as it has bill/visor that goes on it (I took that off asap as it catches wind). The shield is thick but I wouldn't say it's any thicker than any other 3/4 helmet shield. I will say this; the optical clarity is better than any I've ever looked thru. If you made me take a guess, I'd have to say it's probably those chin ramparts that push it into a Snell rating.

EDIT

Tearunner posted while I was, now I see how it got it's rating.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 05-19-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:58 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,885 Likes on 6,933 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
Good information. That's what I like about this site is you can always learn something new.

Thanks

Well the FedEx truck drove up earlier than expected. I was amazed when he handed me the box, it was much lighter than expected.

First impressions are excellent! I was very nervous about the size. I had tried on an XL over the winter and to me it felt too tight. The salesperson said they are supposed to be tight. Well it was uncomfortable and they did not have a XXL for me to try. I measured per their sizing instructions and was clearly an XXL. But all my other brands are XL. GREAT news it fits like a glove and is comfortable.

The fit and finish are both incredible. I really like the drop down sun shield. It actually clears my prescription glasses! The large face shield is crystal clear and the peripheral vision is about as good is far greater than any 3/4 helmet I have had before. It is also very easy to remove. The vents are large in size and easy to operate.

Can't wait to try it on the road.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-08-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,470 Likes on 5,664 Posts

Love my J-Cruise. Just have to wire it up with BT now. See signature pic.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:45 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I had an HJC open face similar to the Shoei that was snell rated.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:32 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Just got a Shoei RF-SR helmet myself a week or two ago. Its only my second ever full face, and far and away the most I've spent on a helmet. My first full face was an old O'Neil that has been sitting in my office for 8 years or so and I've noticed the glue holding some of the trim has broken down and released. That thing was heavy and killed my peripheral vision, thus it sat in my office as a "just in case it starts raining while at work" helmet.

This Shoei is lighter than my 3/4 helmet and doesn't really affect my peripheral vision. It flows air ok, but I haven't really tested it in prolonged super hot weather yet.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (05-24-2018)