General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so I tried lane splitting...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

OP, it's just like anything else...you'll either get used to it or you won't...but never get too comfortable doing it! The CHP has good guidelines for you to follow, suggest you take a peek. They actually make good sense!

That said, splitting lanes in Smell A takes everything to a new level. My experience there is that you become a target, and that's how the game is played there! North of LA, I've developed the opinion that folks actually are much more accepting of lane splitting, and are much more aware as well.

The following users liked this post:
Sarah93003 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 12:08 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I don't lane split on the freeway around here. The traffic doesn't justify it.

But I will filter at lights, if circumstances warrant it.

For me, that's a good balance. I consider filtering past stopped cars pretty much risk free, other than the possibility of encountering a sociopath who is so incensed that I am "getting ahead" of him that he opens a door on me. Hasn't happened, and when I do filter, I try to keep my speed way down so as to not surprise anyone.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:10 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,257 Likes on 11,131 Posts

I split for many years, no more than 15 mph faster than what you are splitting, high beam on (daylight only)cover both front and rear brakes, anticipate a lane change by looking at drivers eyes in their mirrors and there is a lane change gap next to them. Expect the unexpected, senses on high alert, you'll be fine.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:11 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,499 Likes on 786 Posts

My first time was on a Harley tour through St. Maarten Island, had many butthole puckering moments. Our guide said that if you dont, they will ticket you for congesting traffic.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:18 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
The issue with lane splitting for me is that it takes a crazy amount of concentration, which over long periods of riding is very fatiguing. Not that I won't do it, but when needed for long periods of time, it can really wipe you out. And of course your nice relaxing ride is now ruined. I pretty much gave up commuting on the bike because of this, I would rather just sit in the car with the tunes on then be on high alert for that long.
THIS. Takes all the fun out of riding. That said, I commute to work on the bike 2 - 3 days a week and do split, but like others have said, only when traffic is moving at under 5 - 10 mph so it's not as easy for someone to change lanes quickly.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:25 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,155 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons
Watching this makes my toe nails ache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjtjexSg0SM
Looks like Monkey **** for Brains aspiring to be a grease stain. How many of the following did he violate?...

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/asse...California.pdf

I suppose he did wonders for poisoning "the attitude of car drivers toward motorcyclists." As a fellow motorcyclist, do you appreciate that?

The following 3 users liked this post by T^2:
FXDXTSport (05-24-2018), gja (05-28-2018), maydaymike (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons
Watching this makes my toe nails ache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjtjexSg0SM
That's just stoooopid! I hope he signed an organ donor card.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:39 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Its great, the more you do it the better you get. Your eyes are always scanning the road and constantly seeing if drivers are going to make lane changes or not. To me that's the challenge of riding. Taking relaxing rides gets you killed because your mind is in a different state and you are not in control. I enjoy it because it keeps my brain awake.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:30 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

People just aren't trained to expect splitters around here. It's bad enough when they have their own lane, forget about sharing it. I've even watched people cut off bicycles in traffic so they couldn't get by ON THE RIGHT. So many dbags on the road.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:00 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

I split traffic on the freeway almost every day. Certainly every day I commute. But I have a set of hard fast rules I never violate.
I only split the HOV/Fast Lane or no. 1 and 2 lanes if no HOV.
I never travel more than 15 MPH faster than the slower of the two lanes I splitting.
I never split at speeds above 50 MPH.
All the above rules are assuming all other conditions are optimal.

I will admit that a long slog of splitting, like a Sunday afternoon ride north on the 5 from San Diego to Los Angeles will quickly wear on your nerves. I try and avoid a ride that would put me in that situation.

Quick Reply: Ok, so I tried lane splitting...