General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so I tried lane splitting...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:43 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjuro
Okay, so now that I live in California, I tried lane splitting the other day. Normally, I would just wait in stop-and-go traffic, but this time the traffic was so bad that I decided to try and lane split.

In my commute, I think I maybe saved 5-10 min. Also, I found that my clutch hand was much less fatigued. What I did not like, however, was that I was really putting my trust in everyone I passed (hoping that they saw me, and that they would not suddenly change lanes in front of me). That was a bit unsettling for me. There were a couple of times that a car seemed like it was going to change lanes into me, only to see me at the last second and pull back into their lane.

So, I tried lane splitting. I don't know that I would do it again, but maybe... Maybe I just need to work on that skill more...

R,
Sanjuro
Your first time is typical. You'll learn to anticipate drivers' actions. Yes, you can get surprised, it's not a perfect world. Saving "5-10mins" is a great start. You'll arrive at your destination with less stress, once you get used to it.

Handy tips~ Don't lane split over 50 mph.
Only lane split once traffic calms down and drivers accept they're stuck in line. This reduces lane changing. Especially abrupt lane changers.

Don't pass cars going more than 20mph faster than they're going. This is an absolute limit for me. 10mph is even better, and less nerve wracking.

There's no shame in jumping back in traffic's flow if you get frazzled or you're getting off the freeway.

You can only lane split between cars with 2 or more lanes going the same direction.

When on the freeways, it's best to split between lanes 1 & 2. This is where 90+% of the splitting occurs and the motorists will expect you there. Don't be shocked to see cars physically "give you room" to pass as you come up on them. It's awesome when ppl open up the space for motorcycles.

Some riders split between the car pool lane and lane #1. Becareful here as the CHP might not like this too much and there's painted lines that are elevated slightly. This can cause your tires to "climb and fall" up/down the edges of the paint. At speed, it can cause instability. Especially when wet. Botts dots are a whole other issue. Especially with ABS brakes...

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:55 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons
Watching this makes my toe nails ache.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjtjexSg0SM
Rocket rider, you expect that kinda stupid out of them and they never fail to deliver. Lane sharing and filtering in in town traffic are the biggest misunderstood issues with non California riders, common sense, situational awareness and a bit of courtesy it's much safer than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, you won't get rear ended by some cell phone droid.

I've dodged that bullet twice in the last few years, traffic stops I filter to the front and BAM!! glass & plastic flying from where you would have been sitting. Sobering reality check I'll tell you.

Sarah93003 (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:59 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i wouldnt lane split, theres many times in CA where we were moving along slowly and some dumbass lane splits right when i was just about to start to nudge my car over to force my way into the next lane. I just about killed him. If all you save is 10 min thats a crappy trade off.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:32 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I rented a car and drove from LA to San Diego. Most of the time I was in the HOV lane. Bikes were splitting constantly at 70 on I-5. I found it stressful trying to see if there was a bike coming up if I had to change lanes. The AMA is always promoting lane splitting, saying it’s safe under 30, but I think its insane at 70.

I prefer my rural 2 lanes in Wisconsin. Just have to watch for critters.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:23 AM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
You'll never convince me it's not crazy dangerous, and I won't do it even if it was legal. I especially appreciated the comment " I was really putting my trust in everyone I passed (hoping that they saw me, and that they would not suddenly change lanes in front of me). That was a bit unsettling for me." Considering the some of the human garbage driving around (ESPECIALLY in CA and in NJ), that should be a real concern. I don't want to get that close to a car if I'm moving on a bike.

My $0.02, YMMV, and good luck to you.
IMO the flip side to that "trust" thing is that if you're sitting in bumper to bumper traffic going through your typical accordion effect, you are trusting every vehicle behind you to not rear end you and crush you between them and the car in front of you. As much as everybody likes to think their situational awareness is flawless and they know where vehicles around them are at all times, things happen. The driver in front of you could drop his smoke in his lap and slam on his brakes. The gap you leave for safety in front of you? A car could take that empty space at the same time the guy tailgating you looks down to answer a text. Or the guy behind you gets rear ended which in turn causes him to rear end you.

Like it or not you have to "trust" everybody else on the road every time you head out anywhere. Again, IMO, it is easier to focus mostly on whats going on in front of you (like you would when splitting) instead of trying to divide your attention 50/50 front and back, at the same time keeping an escape path open in front/to the side of you in case the guy behind you looks like hes going to sandwich you. What do you really need to use your mirrors for when youre splitting, other than to check for faster riders coming up behind you? At least you'll be able to focus maybe 90% of your attention to whats going on directly in front of you. Driver behavior is pretty easy to predict during heavy traffic, especially if its part of your daily commute. There are certain spots I pass every day that for whatever reason, encourages drivers to make A hole moves. It doesn't matter if Im in a car or bike, but I'm aware of it and can usually predict when somebody is going to jump a few lanes in those spots.

Of course, if you're sitting in traffic and don't bother to be aware of whats going on behind you, then my theory doesn't apply to you.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:15 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I rented a car and drove from LA to San Diego. Most of the time I was in the HOV lane. Bikes were splitting constantly at 70 on I-5. I found it stressful trying to see if there was a bike coming up if I had to change lanes. The AMA is always promoting lane splitting, saying it’s safe under 30, but I think its insane at 70.

I prefer my rural 2 lanes in Wisconsin. Just have to watch for critters.
Deer, feral pigs, turkey and the damned bug swarms at night caused me far more grief in the midwest than 30 years of lane splitting out here ever has. Lost 2 bikes critters, zero to lane sharing and my riding season went from 7 months to 12. And you are right playing dodgeball over 40mph on the freeways is stupid, the RK has slowed me in that respect it just won't skinny through like the shovel does.

Originally Posted by saltlick
i wouldnt lane split, theres many times in CA where we were moving along slowly and some dumbass lane splits right when i was just about to start to nudge my car over to force my way into the next lane. I just about killed him. If all you save is 10 min thats a crappy trade off.
Seriously, who is really the thick headed one here the guy who's moving along in traffic or the frustrated angry one who is trying to force his way into any available opening.....

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-24-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Seriously, who is really the thick headed one here the guy who's moving alone in traffic or the frustrated angry one who is trying to force his way into any available opening to move ahead.....
My reaction to this initially is that it's the driver's responsibility to clear the lane she/he is trying to move into. That normally does not involve a mirror check...it involves looking over one's shoulder to ensure that the lane is clear. Too often, I've noticed, both while riding and driving, that this seems to be a lost art. I've caught myself doing it too, so I'm including myself in that.

Many's the time that I've surprised a driver who actually did that head check, and lo and behold! there I was!

Old 05-24-2018, 09:31 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
Actually there is no "Law" regarding lane splitting. The CHP had those as recommended guidelines on their website a few years ago but have since taken it down. The way the law works is basically, anything that is not illegal, is legal. Lane splitting is not illegal in California therefore it is legal. LEO's have the option of writing a ticket if in their opinion the rider is splitting in a reckless manner. It doesn't really matter what the speeds of the traffic or the rider is.

As one who splits traffic regularly, as I posted above, I would like to see more tickets written to those who practice this in a reckless manner. I do think it gives bikers in general a bad name when done recklessly. However I see on a regular basis, more cagers doing their best to accommodate those of us who practice the method in a safe manner, using the guidelines mentioned above.
Originally Posted by Rude dog
x2, thats my understanding as well..
Hmm...you're CA Motorcycle guys? ...It's been Legal in CA since Jan 1, 2017 (Assembly Bill 51)... NOT just "Not Illegal" as previously.

Oh and if you're not "Splitting", please don't plug the hole

Old 05-24-2018, 09:37 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
There will always be an ******* that tries to pull over and block you. Don't sweat that. Just be patient. He'll always be an ******* and you will be a motorcycle rider. You win!
Well said.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:45 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

I watch for previous "abrupt" maneuvers from cars. This tells me they may have a higher chance to repeat those higher risk maneuvers.

Also, I check license plate origins. If I see a plate from a State that has a high ratio of "A-Holes to normal people", I take special care in passing those ppl. Or, back off and pass another way.

Some do make it a challenge.

One thing I've noticed over the years (decades) of doing this~ There has never been a better time to split lanes than now. Here's why~ In my location (North San Diego County) the vast majority of drivers are of Mexican/So. Am. decent. These countries actively promote lane splitting in their home lands. They bring this awareness with them when they come to the USA.

Now, if we could only get them to yield to emergency vehicles, that would be great. They usually just "stop" right where they are. Right in the middle of every lane. If we could teach them to pull over & stop, that would be good. It's also the law...

Sarah93003 (05-25-2018)

Quick Reply: Ok, so I tried lane splitting...