General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From hardships come opportunities

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Mad Jasper
Cruiser
Received 139 Likes on 33 Posts
Default From hardships come opportunities

Not to rehash, but just two days after buying the FLHTK to haul the wife's fine booty around in comfort, a health situation arises that prevents her from riding for at least six months. I love the new motorcycle... I ride every chance I get, but it's not the same without her.

Two days after her seizure, I crashed in my damn driveway transitioning from grass to concrete... as I have a 100 times before without incident. Puzzles my analytical mind.

So with more focus on the wife and reduced riding, I turn to the interwebz to help understand why I couldn't manage my own freakin' driveway. After a few weeks of research, MCrider videos and tons of motorcycle fail videos, I realized this was an opportunity to sharpen my skills as a rider... especially important that I will be hauling precious booty.

The result is... I am retaking the basic rider course in July. Yes, I took it 6 years ago and did well. But, it turns out that my dealer offers the course for free for former firefighters. No reason not to put forth the effort. I haven't been able to nail down an advanced rider course in the area yet, but I am hopeful to find one by September/October. So on October 25th when the wife straddles the luxurious back seat and places her tiny hands on my waist, I will have the motorcycle competency she deserves.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

You are never too old to learn or fall. Be careful and ride with confidence.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:46 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,770 Likes on 6,708 Posts

[QUOTE=Mad Jasper;17383645

I crashed in my damn driveway transitioning from grass to concrete... as I have a 100 times before without incident. Puzzles my analytical mind.
[/QUOTE]

Were you using the front brake when you hit the grass? That will do it right there.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:18 PM
Mad Jasper
Cruiser
Received 139 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
Were you using the front brake when you hit the grass? That will do it right there.
Nope. The way our driveway is shaped and when more than two cars is parked in it, I have to ride out in the grass and back on to the concrete. I've done it 100 times with my Stratty and didn't think twice about it. I did noticed a rubber mark on the edge of the drive away about 4-6 inches long. I guess I underestimated the weight.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:28 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Jasper
I took it 6 years ago and did well. But, it turns out that my dealer offers the course for free for former firefighters. .
Nothing wrong with that,, but look around and maybe take the advanced beginners /intermediate course if possible. New instructors can offer different views and ideas.
We can and should keep on learnin friend,, best wishes to your precious cargo,, fast healin an speedy recovery.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:35 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,006 Likes on 2,818 Posts

Probably didn't use enough throttle. I don't see one little "wtf" as a need to run back to a safety course. Get up, get on, get going like it didn't happen.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:55 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Probably didn't use enough throttle. I don't see one little "wtf" as a need to run back to a safety course. Get up, get on, get going like it didn't happen.
And THAT Gentlemen is a great example of someone that's stuck,, afraid to learn.
I will be taking a "safety course" at least every other year until I'm dead or can't ride. I need input from trained professionals in our changing riding environment so I can continue my lifetime of learning.
I've been riding 42yrs,, I need to learn more,

Last edited by JohnMn; 05-23-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:30 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,006 Likes on 2,818 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
And THAT Gentlemen is a great example of someone that's stuck,, afraid to learn.
I will be taking a "safety course" at least every other year until I'm dead or can't ride. I need input from trained professionals in our changing riding environment so I can continue my lifetime of learning.
I've been riding 42yrs,, I need to learn more,
Stuck? Afraid to learn?. That's funny.

Do you mean to say that you've been riding for 42 years and you still don't know what you're doing. Maybe more practicing and less learning is in order here! But enlighhten me on this "changing riding environment" you mentioned. I've been riding for 51 years and I don't see that much has changed. Maybe there's alot more traffic then there was 50 years ago but I don't need a "trained professional" to tell me that.

As far as actual riding there really isn't that much to it. Simple techniques - head and eyes, friction zone, straight line braking, entering and exiting turns, apexing, watch your road surface, watch the vehicles around you and be on the look out for the one that's about to make an attempt on your life. A lot of people get too into the ride and forget about that last one. Maybe instead of more riding courses what you really need to work on is self confidence. That and your problem of constantly seeking approval. Or if after 20 riding courses ("one every other year") you still don't trust your skills maybe your training is substandard. Anyway, good luck with
figuring out your weaknesses and happy motoring.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hey Man:
Marty31 (05-25-2018), W.Murphy (05-24-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 11:56 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Simple techniques - head and eyes, friction zone, straight line braking, entering and exiting turns, apexing, watch your road surface, watch the vehicles around you:
Oh cool, you rented the videos too.
Apexing is kind of a big word,, are you sure you understand that one?
Fk hd, the "trained professional" isn't there to grade you,, he isn't there to approve or disapprove,, he'll just look at ya while you try the "apexing" thing and tell you what he see's while your apexing.
It's up to you to take the option to learn from that observance or not,, but,,
I'm sorry, Your right, you already "know it all".
Uhm, good luck with all those folks driving with smart phones stuck in their hands. After-all it's no different then 51yrs ago.

Quick Reply: From hardships come opportunities