General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for a new rider at age 54

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:12 PM
hlib76
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This was a great thread with a lot of great advice. And I say you're never too old. Just know your limitations, and what you are comfortable with.
And...test ride a LOT of bikes before you buy.....then practice, practice, practice before heading out on the main roads!

I too got somewhat of a late start, just this spring...at 42. I got a gift certificate for the MSF course for my birthday, as I always wanted to ride a street bike. I rode dirt bikes and quads in my younger days, but had never ridden on the street. Totally different as most know. That course was a GREAT start, and I learned so much! There were also people in the course who already had their endorsement and their own bikes, and wanted to be better riders. It was a really great foundation to build on.

Once I got my endorsement, I test rode a LOT of bikes....and realized.... I didn't really like being on 2 wheels on the street. I'm short...only a hair over 5ft, and a little over a 100lbs. Any bike was somewhat of a challenge for me at stops. It was exhausting and not really enjoyable. So I started looking at trikes. Test rode several, including that ugly as hell Can Am Spyder. I fell in love with the Freewheeler. Originally I had my eyes set on an Iron 883...

I bought my '16 Freewheeler almost a couple months ago now. I am SO glad I went for 3 wheels instead of two. I ride it to the office, to the grocery store, etc. We also have a LOT of curvy roads here in the foothills in NC, so I've been practicing on mastering those now. Cornering on the trike is definitely a learning curve, but I feel so much more comfy on 3 wheels than I did on 2 wheels. Next up is a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

So my 2 cents here.....don't discount ANY ride....and don't have your heart set on one bike. Test out a LOT....you might be surprised what you end up liking!

Last edited by hlib76; 07-16-2018 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dwebstert (07-16-2018)