General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What instant detailer are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

AmmoNYC Spit. Larry Kosilla's products are superb. Ammo NYC

Last edited by Sierra977; 07-11-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,310 Likes on 7,066 Posts

I discovered Cycle Care products over 10 years ago. I was hooked the first time. I use their soap, polish, leather treatment and the best and most favorite being Formula 33.

I have been on rides with folks and pull that stuff our to get the bugs and spots off and someone always wants to try it. They are then hooked like me!

I should have become a dealer for this stuff. I pretty much buy most of it in bulk, gallon bottles and put in my smaller spray bottles. It goes a long way. Glad this come up as I need to restock.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:16 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,247 Likes on 2,477 Posts

you can find obs at most metric bike shops (don't let anyone tell you that hondabrite is the same, it isn't. they used to be until they had to change the formula to be more environmentally friendly). i've seen it recently at my local walmart, for $5.95 can.

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
Cool! Let us know how you like it. I buy a gallon of DI water and use that to mix water less wash. With my local water, the DI water works better
where the heck do you find di water? i can get distilled water from the grocery store, but deionized? not sure on that one....

Last edited by skratch; 07-11-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:19 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,373 Likes on 17,646 Posts

Honda Spray, best quick detailers I've ever used. Indian dealership started carrying and using the stuff after I tossed a can to the lead guy when I worked there. No films cleans also and smells good.

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I wet sanded most of the orange peel out. Then sealed it up with CQUK. Use Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax and Detailer.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:06 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,157 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
you can find obs at most metric bike shops (don't let anyone tell you that hondabrite is the same, it isn't. they used to be until they had to change the formula to be more environmentally friendly). i've seen it recently at my local walmart, for $5.95 can.

where the heck do you find di water? i can get distilled water from the grocery store, but deionized? not sure on that one....
Sorry for the confusion. DI water means distilled. Detailers acronym.

Originally Posted by psyshack
I wet sanded most of the orange peel out. Then sealed it up with CQUK. Use Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax and Detailer.
Did you take paint thickness readings?

Venturing into dangerous territory sanding factory clear which is basically as thick as a Post-it.

CQ is a great coating. Lasts and looks great. Only question is why would you top a coating with a spray wax?? You lose all the great properties of a coating. That topper would not last and as I stated, loses the coating properties. You are basically running in a circle there. Reload would be a much better choice. Makes zero sense.
The turtle and CQ have no business being in the same sentence, paragraph or post. You have one of the top coatings available to a consumer and put the turtle on it????

Originally Posted by Sierra977
AmmoNYC Spit. Larry Kosilla's products are superb. Ammo NYC

Ammo products are very well respected in the detailing world. Expensive but they produce.

Larry paid you to put his sticker on your car???

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-16-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Triple post
Old 07-11-2018, 10:49 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
Did you take paint thickness readings?

Venturing into dangerous territory sanding factory clear which is basically as thick as a Post-it.

CQ is a great coating. Lasts and looks great. Only question is why would you top a coating with a spray wax?? You lose all the great properties of a coating. That topper would not last and as I stated, loses the coating properties. You are basically running in a circle there. Reload would be a much better choice. Makes zero sense.
The turtle and CQ have no business being in the same sentence, paragraph or post. You have one of the top coatings available to a consumer and put the turtle on it????
Didn't even bother with depth readings. HD lathered the clear on like snot. No issues doing the first cut with 2K then 3k and finaled with 5k grit. Then a 3 step correction. Sealed with three coats of CQ. It does not matter what you top it with and no spray wax or detailer will cause it to fail when prepped and applied correct. Reload sucks and not worth the money. Same for Gliss. CQ is still there doing what it does,,, seal the paint.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Honda Spray, best quick detailers I've ever used. Indian dealership started carrying and using the stuff after I tossed a can to the lead guy when I worked there. No films cleans also and smells good.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-08732-S...ner+and+polish
I use this stuff and it really works well, I did find a place in my hometown that sales bug-slide so I am going to see how well it works. Funny thing is I googled it and the only place in town that sold it was a hair dresser shop,the gal said when I called that she sales things she believes in and that's why she has it. Turns out she also is playing at the sturgis rally in deadwood this year, Mabel's rage. Just saying

Old 07-12-2018, 07:01 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,157 Likes on 772 Posts

Didn't even bother with depth readings. HD lathered the clear on like snot. No issues doing the first cut with 2K then 3k and finaled with 5k grit. Then a 3 step correction. Sealed with three coats of CQ. It does not matter what you top it with and no spray wax or detailer will cause it to fail when prepped and applied correct. Reload sucks and not worth the money. Same for Gliss. CQ is still there doing what it does,,, seal the paint.
I have never ever heard of anyone putting on 3 layers of CQ. 2 layers max, never 3.
When you top a coating, water behavior changes. Contact angle changes. So, if you top a coating with a wax, water will bead from the wax not the coating. You lose the water sheeting of the coating. and all of the other reasons why you apply a coatingThis has been discussed in great detail on the forums. I wasn't saying the coating will fail. What Im saying is whatever the "Top Layer" of protection you have, thats what it will act like. This is why nobody tops a coating with a wax
As for Reload sucking, I wouldn't say that. It can be finicky but many many people have used it with great success

Old 07-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

I've painted over OE Harley finishes, sanded right thru the clear coat many times, and I've developed the opinion that Harley clear, like all other clear coats I've encountered, is very thin. Keep in mind that my perspective is that of a painter, not a detailer. When I spray clear over the base, it's three coats, generally, and MUCH thicker than OE. I don't worry about cutting and buffing my clear coats, but I would tread lightly doing the same to the OE clear!

But the grit you're describing is VERY fine, and shouldn't present any issues. I usually start my cut on my finishes with 1000, and work to 3000, then begin the buffing.

Quick Reply: What instant detailer are you using?