General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone leaving their bike stock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 05:32 PM
MorecowbellAz
Cruiser
Received 217 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Anyone leaving their bike stock?

I don't see many threads about this, and I understand these forums aren't an accurate representation of the overall rider population, but I've been wondering how many people overall prefer to leave their bikes in stock form rather than head off into customization wonderland? I have a '00 RK with almost no engine mods (Stage 1, SE slip ons, and a breather catch can), which is on purpose; most of the time (key word being "most") stock equals trouble free and I'd rather have dependability and no drama rather than outright performance. Over the years I've gotten to know my bike inside and out, I know everything that's going on axle to axle, and it's a known quantity. Now I find myself, for reasons beyond my control, with the possibility of retiring the bike and starting over with a new one.

I'm excited with the idea of a new bike with all the new technology and especially the M8 motor, but I totally don't want to spend much of my free time tinkering with goodies, and most of all troubleshooting various things that should simply work. I just want to ride and enjoy it. For example, if the bike runs good and makes good power, which I have to believe any M8 will, I don't even want to mess with an aftermarket air cleaner much less cams and pipes. I'm mechanically inclined, but been there, done that. I enjoy maintaining the bike and doing repairs as necessary from lots of use, but that's it. I have zero desire to add goodies and then spend more time getting things to play nice together rather than riding.

So..............I'm curious if that's a reasonable expectation these days with a new bike. Or will I immediately be stuck with a list of things needing attention such as running overly lean, oiling issues, running hot, ill sorted suspension, electronic gremlins, etc. These boards can make you paranoid, so I guess in short I'm looking for a reality check.

FWIW, I'm looking at a touring bike, and I do about 10-12k per year. I like to put miles on my bike, not profile or sound cool for my buddies.

The following users liked this post:
Mad Jasper (07-22-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 05:35 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

The rarest Harley on the planet is a stock Harley.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:54 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

If you want to leave it stock, leave it stock. No one here can tell the future so you may get a bike that has issues, you may get one that has none. Not sure why you’re equating mods to needing to devote all of your time tinkering and “getting things to play nicely together”. As was noted above, there’s many more HD’s that aren’t bone stock any longer and that doesn’t mean they’re any less reliable or enjoyable.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:19 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

My 2008 Ultra is stock performance from the intake to the exhaust. Only change to the engine/trans is that I don't use Harley oil.
All of my mods are for comfort or function (storage, backrest, windshied).

Old 07-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I'm speaking for myself when I say this but I thoroughly enjoy pissing around with whatever bike I have. Others have the same mindset going on. My bike is 30 years old so it's a perfect environment! While other people will tear into the engine for upgrades others like myself will strip it down for paint or have everything rechromed. This winter I'm going to tear into the wiring chasing electrical gremlins and may possibly rewire it. Riding is therapy, working on it is the next best thing.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:33 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

There are too many issues to leave it bone stock. Even something as minuscule as cycra chain tensioner pads for the cam chest is a worthwhile upgrade. The suspensions need help as well, i've never ridden a harley with stock suspension and thought it was acceptable. I understand keeping it close to stock appearance wise but some of the mechanical components should be improved even for saftey.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:39 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Stock to me means no after market visual add-ons and no engine, trans or suspension performance upgrades. It doesn't mean having every single original part it came with when new.

Last edited by Hey Man; 07-13-2018 at 06:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Squidbilly* (07-14-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 06:46 PM
TroutBum
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
The rarest Harley on the planet is a stock Harley.
Of which I own one. I have resisted the urge to customize, but I think after the warranty period is over I am going to make some modifications.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:50 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

My bike is what I consider stock. I've made no internal changes/mods to the drive train. Yes, I've added bling, comfort items, fun parts, exhaust, and a PC V tuner but there are no internal changes. And...I still have the stock exhaust that can be re-installed if I get tired of the loud(er) pipes. The tuner just needs to be unplugged and it's back to stock.
I've had many bikes and even more cars, including several drag and SCCA cars, and I've finally admitted that the more I messed with them the more they needed to be messed with. lol I don't want to have to carry a tool kit like I used to with my 56 Pan and 72 Sporty.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

I leave my bikes pretty much stock now with the exception of slip-ons and audio upgrades. The cvo M8 has plenty of power for me.

Quick Reply: Anyone leaving their bike stock?