General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to Paint My Deuce?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I've been quoted 400 for a basic black paint job on a tank. I spent $2000 on custom paint for my Deluxe, which was a three tone deal and included custom pin striping. This is in California where the EPA approved paint is really expensive

If you're doing a single color, $1500 seems a bit steep. Shop around some more

Old 07-16-2018, 10:32 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,815 Likes on 6,220 Posts

Used to be around $250 per piece, without any special needs.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 330 Posts

Shouldn't need anything more 1 spray paint can, but this is weird...OH! You mean a bike.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

Mine needed no bodywork as my tins were flawless. Mine was Luxury Blue before paint. My painter is very **** and pays serious attention to detail, it's why I picked him to paint it. It's House Of Kolor Kandy Brandywine over a base of silver mini-flake, with another 3 coats of clear over the Kandy. It's pretty labor intensive and even painted the undersides of the fenders as well flawlessly. $1,500 for the job.

Keep in mind, the difference in price of paints and clears are night and day, good quality is expensive. I would venture to say your price is a bit high for a pretty basic paint job.
Attachment 619836

Old 07-17-2018, 05:17 PM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
I just bought a 2006 Deuce, as a project bike (picture is in my signature line below). It is a pretty cool bike - a second bike for me to ride around town, but there are plenty of changes/upgrades that I am thinking about doing to it. I plan to spend the upcoming winter working on it. I am sure I will be posting over the next few months, asking all kinds of questions, so I thank everyone in advance for their thoughts and advice.

My question today is about a quote I got to paint the bike. I have no idea what a fair price would be, so I want to know whether the price I was told is in the right ball park or not. It was from a guy in a group I ride with sometimes, who happens to own a small auto body shop. He is semi-retired, so he only works on a few cars a month. I asked what it would cost, to paint the tank and both fenders, not the frame. He told me $1,500. He works on cars, so I don't know if he knows the "going price" for painting a bike. He said the tank probably needs time spent on it to prep it, because there is definitely some patch work underneath the bad existing paint job. I would take the tank and fenders off the bike and bring it to him. If it makes any difference to the price, I want him to paint it midnight blue, with metallic speaks in it.
WTF?! Are we now a bunch of children?! You have zero business owning a bike if you can't figure this sh*t out by yourself like a godd*mn adult. God. Get a couple estimates, look at their work, and decide. it is not rocket science. Now sell your bike, please. You're an embarrassment.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:37 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by FolsomPrisonBlues
WTF?! Are we now a bunch of children?! You have zero business owning a bike if you can't figure this sh*t out by yourself like a godd*mn adult. God. Get a couple estimates, look at their work, and decide. it is not rocket science. Now sell your bike, please. You're an embarrassment.
Jesus, dude. Drain the **** off of your Cheerios, take a deep breath, and maybe consider a switch to decaf. Questions like this are why we have forums...why not ask the question here before dicking around with a half dozen paint shops? Just seems like an additional research step to me. Now where’s the “eye roll” icon?

The following 2 users liked this post by UUNetBill:
Colorado Mac (07-17-2018), hd4evr2008 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 06:18 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,647 Likes on 4,633 Posts

WOW! good thing he didn't ask a serious question!

The following users liked this post:
Colorado Mac (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:57 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

Ha! Might I suggest decaf for you, going forward?

Old 07-18-2018, 01:29 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Checking in from Massachusetts. '02 FXD Rider here. Nice to be part of the forum, I look forward to contributing.

The above is Folsom's first post from 10 yrs ago. Maybe he's been in solitary since then.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

There's a lot of this silliness going around these days, I agree. Just too easy to be lazy and ask any ol' random question on the World Wide Web rather than do the obvious and put a little work in it.

Quick Reply: Cost to Paint My Deuce?