General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to Paint My Deuce?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:42 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,783 Likes on 6,213 Posts

Cost to paint your Deuce?
The smell will leak through the paint. Don't skimp...get it bronzed.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:45 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
You're a bad, bad man! LOL

Old 07-18-2018, 10:19 PM
J3TVETTE
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a legit question and I'm glad you asked it. I want to have a bike painted as well and was wondering what the going cost is. Its nice to hear from other forum members and find out what they paid and how their bike came out. Some people on here are just ********, I ignore them.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:10 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by FolsomPrisonBlues
WTF?! Are we now a bunch of children?! You have zero business owning a bike if you can't figure this sh*t out by yourself like a godd*mn adult. God. Get a couple estimates, look at their work, and decide. it is not rocket science. Now sell your bike, please. You're an embarrassment.
Ahhh, he's just blowing off steam because he's angry he pulled the short straw in the game of 'Deliverance' last night.

Originally Posted by RHPAW
I have tears in my eyes.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:43 AM
iamcmf99
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 111 Posts

Yeah,a couple of spray cans of the color of your choice, somefancy decals and a cold 12 pack, and the results will astound you!

Old 07-20-2018, 02:16 PM
W.Murphy
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have this guy doing my tins now, Kustom Flames . Cherry Kola base, with ghost flames in Kandy Kranberry, Bar & Shield logos airbrushed on tank, another logo (#1 skull) airbrushed on rear fender, then 8 coats of clear, then he compounds and buffs out clear for a show quality finish & shine, all for around $1800.00. His prices vary depending on how much body work & prep needed and what paint & design you want. His prices are much better than most places I contacted, most wanted in excess of $3500.00 for what I wanted..

Haven't got mine back yet, should be finished in a week or so.. I'll post pics when I get her all back together.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:36 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
I just bought a 2006 Deuce, as a project bike (picture is in my signature line below). It is a pretty cool bike - a second bike for me to ride around town, but there are plenty of changes/upgrades that I am thinking about doing to it. I plan to spend the upcoming winter working on it. I am sure I will be posting over the next few months, asking all kinds of questions, so I thank everyone in advance for their thoughts and advice.

My question today is about a quote I got to paint the bike. I have no idea what a fair price would be, so I want to know whether the price I was told is in the right ball park or not. It was from a guy in a group I ride with sometimes, who happens to own a small auto body shop. He is semi-retired, so he only works on a few cars a month. I asked what it would cost, to paint the tank and both fenders, not the frame. He told me $1,500. He works on cars, so I don't know if he knows the "going price" for painting a bike. He said the tank probably needs time spent on it to prep it, because there is definitely some patch work underneath the bad existing paint job. I would take the tank and fenders off the bike and bring it to him. If it makes any difference to the price, I want him to paint it midnight blue, with metallic speaks in it.
Ask him how much the paint is going to cost. Then ask him how many man hours he thinks it will take. Subtract the cost of paint from the $1500. Then divide that difference by the number of man hours. That will be the hourly rate you are paying the laborers. If its $100/hr you are paying to much, obviously. Until you know how much you are paying the workers hourly you will not know if the price you are paying is fair.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:19 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,640 Likes on 4,631 Posts

The cost to paint your bike, is going to be based on exactly how much the guy is going to do for you.. If hes going to do fancy paint, (and that can be done with one, two or many colors) pinstriping, gold, silver leaf, any artwork involved, the sky is the limit. A fair price, will be what you agree to, compared to what you get. If the painter charges too much, he won't have any work, it will catch up to him. (Is the guy busy?) If its just a straight color change, compare it to other painters in the near vicinity. This is going to be what ever he wants to charge, theres no set price for custom paint. Theres no flat rate for it either. You are dealing with art. And as art, the price will be as they see it. If you think what you've asked for is too much for budget, whatever, then, don't go there. Not one person here knows what the guys going to do, for you. We can't make a call like this. If he says hes going to make it real cool, and gives you an Idea of how its going to look, and he has a good rep for doing that kind of work, then make the call. But for anybody here saying, well time, plus paint, plus whatever, will determine the price, Hes in business to make money, that means he can make money on the price of paint, materials, anything he wants to. But he still needs to be competitive in your area. Find the answer to that and you will have an idea if his prices are good, or not

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...t-pics-004.jpg

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attachments/general-harley-davidson-chat/432736d1433372989-well-the-tins-are-painted-img_0311.jpg

Heres a couple pics of my deuce that I had painted back a while ago.

Pics above, couldn't make the words not in blue. While it looks like a SE deuce paint job. (It is a SE Deuce), All paint is new, over modified frame, tank, and fenders. All gold leaf is hand cut, including the HD script on the tank. You can't see the taillight that is in the shape of the HD #1 logo with silver leaf surrounding it. I have about 4K in that job, and it looks stock, which was exactly what I wanted it to look like. Huge hours involved, but the guy who painted it also knew it would be show worthy, and he got a lot of business from the paint, so I got a better paint job, for less than billable hours. There is so much to dealing with painters, every job is different, and if its not, then its a cookie cutter paint job, and maybe something you don't want. There is also a ghosted in #1 on the front of the goose neck, that is just spectacular!!

If you click on the pictures, they get big, and you can check out the details of the bike, up close

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-25-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 07-20-2018, 09:00 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRR
Ask him how much the paint is going to cost. Then ask him how many man hours he thinks it will take. Subtract the cost of paint from the $1500. Then divide that difference by the number of man hours. That will be the hourly rate you are paying the laborers. If its $100/hr you are paying to much, obviously. Until you know how much you are paying the workers hourly you will not know if the price you are paying is fair.
You may or may not get an answer to that question. If you get an itemized estimate, cost of labor and materials will be included. If you get a bottom line estimate, he may not consider any of that to be your business. Just depends on how he operates his business. Both ways are valid. If the latter way bothers you, move on.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:04 PM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

I almost shat myself when I was told it would be $800 (cdn) to do my bike from a friend who owns a reputable body shop who has a separate shop just for bikes. After checking with a second reputable shop I realized it was indeed a good deal as I was quoted $1250. I didn't know it at the time but DAMN is paint and supplies ever EXPENSIVE!

I would put quality of work above price, paying a fortune dosent allways mean your getting good work.

Check some of the shops recently painted vehicles and inspect the paint closely.

Sorry I couldn't be more help like FolsomPrisionBlues

Quick Reply: Cost to Paint My Deuce?