General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to Paint My Deuce?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:48 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
You may or may not get an answer to that question. If you get an itemized estimate, cost of labor and materials will be included. If you get a bottom line estimate, he may not consider any of that to be your business. Just depends on how he operates his business. Both ways are valid. If the latter way bothers you, move on.
A while back I had a tree cut down. The agreed upon price was $300.00. There was one guy cutting and 3 on the ground, total of 4 guys. They had the tree down in an hour and they were gone. Adding it all up I paid each person $75.00 per hour. After I figured it out I decided I paid too much for having that tree cut down. Thats when I realized you need to know two things....cost of material and number of hours, before you can get an idea of a fair price.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRR
A while back I had a tree cut down. The agreed upon price was $300.00. There was one guy cutting and 3 on the ground, total of 4 guys. They had the tree down in an hour and they were gone. Adding it all up I paid each person $75.00 per hour. After I figured it out I decided I paid too much for having that tree cut down. That's when I realized you need to know two things....cost of material and number of hours, before you can get an idea of a fair price.
But what you're not including is the man's business license and fees, his vehicle and gas to get to you, his employees pay versus what he makes, unemployment insurance, the cost he paid for his equipment, the list goes on. In my area, it would be at least double that for tree removal. You can't base a price on time spent alone.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:27 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestrafen
But what you're not including is the man's business license and fees, his vehicle and gas to get to you, his employees pay versus what he makes, unemployment insurance, the cost he paid for his equipment, the list goes on. In my area, it would be at least double that for tree removal. You can't base a price on time spent alone.
Don’t forget insurance too. Painters, tree cutters and many other skilled laborers are offering services that most can not perform. For this reason alone, they can charge a little extra for their experience and expertise.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:24 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I've been shooting some bikes here and there for a number of years. Most people have no clue how much time and labor go into prep.

If someone does all the prep (and it is done right) and buys the paint, I'll shoot a tank and fenders for $200 - $300. If I'm doing all the prep, I want $700-$800. If I have to buy the paint, it's that plus whatever the paint they want costs.

The following users liked this post:
Iron lHorse (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 05:12 AM
iamcmf99
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 111 Posts

I have never balked at what a professional wants to charge. It's hard enough to find someone reliable. The behind the scenes costs (insurance, taxes, equipment maintenance, the guy having quality equipment) costs!

Old 07-22-2018, 06:31 AM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I've been shooting some bikes here and there for a number of years. Most people have no clue how much time and labor go into prep.

If someone does all the prep (and it is done right) and buys the paint, I'll shoot a tank and fenders for $200 - $300. If I'm doing all the prep, I want $700-$800. If I have to buy the paint, it's that plus whatever the paint they want costs.
How many hours does it take to paint two fenders and a tank, if you are doing all the prep?
How many hours does it take if you do not have to do all the prep?

If I could have deleted or edited the previous post, I would have.

I think we figured out that the going rate for people who paint bikes is $100 per hour. Heck, what do I know. I guess that is a fair price. At least we know. Harley charges $100 per hour for their expertise so I guess this is the going rate for all things Harley.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-25-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 07-22-2018, 09:48 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,164 Posts

[QUOTE=iamcmf99;17530777]I have never balked at what a professional wants to charge. It's hard enough to find someone reliable. The behind the scenes costs (insurance, taxes, equipment maintenance, the guy having quality equipment) costs![/QUOTE
wrong spot .
Originally Posted by MidnitEvil

And all the primer, paint, clearcoat, all the hardeners and thinners cost about 200 bucks .

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-25-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Multiple posts