General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I do this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 03:29 PM
The_Old_Bill
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Can I do this?

Hi all, I am making plans to fly to the US from the UK with the specific goal of traveling to Sturgis for the 80th Anniversary in 2020.

My question is...as a non-US resident, can I purchase (and insure) a bike on arrival in the US, ride for 2-3 weeks on a visitors visa, before shipping the bike back to the UK?

Any info would be great

Cheers

Old 07-28-2018, 03:33 PM
DC4MVP
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

You should buy a bike in the UK then rent one in the US for Sturgis week.

You'll save yourself a giant headache and paperwork and a lot in shipping costs.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:39 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Check out this thread on Trip Advisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...oad_Trips.html

Old 07-28-2018, 03:51 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Are you buying new or used? What happens if it breaks down en route? Are you buying near Sturgis from a Dealer or private seller or further away and riding some distance? Why buy and ship is it that much cheaper overall?

Old 07-28-2018, 04:00 PM
The_Old_Bill
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DC4MVP
You should buy a bike in the UK then rent one in the US for Sturgis week.

You'll save yourself a giant headache and paperwork and a lot in shipping costs.
I have an FXDF in the UK now. I am probably going to be in the US for a 3-4week trip, so the cost of hiring a bike for that period is pretty high.

I have read some horror stories about renting, so it is a last resort.

Originally Posted by mmesa005
Check out this thread on Trip Advisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...oad_Trips.html
Nice one, thanks for the info

Originally Posted by uklauren
Are you buying new or used? What happens if it breaks down en route? Are you buying near Sturgis from a Dealer or private seller or further away and riding some distance? Why buy and ship is it that much cheaper overall?
Plan is to buy used. If it breaks down, thats a risk i'll take. Looking at a round trip to Sturgis from Vegas.

If it is cost effective, I will ship the bike back to the UK and recover (some) cost when the bike is sold in UK. I am aware that there is a large Import Duty on vehicles imported to the UK, but these are all factors I have to look into.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-30-2018 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 07-28-2018, 04:36 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,073 Likes on 11,413 Posts

I've seen EU plates on tourist driven vehicles in the US. Ship your FXDF here, ride and ship it back to the UK. No tariffs or import duties.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:49 PM
The_Old_Bill
Cruiser

Originally Posted by upflying
I've seen EU plates on tourist driven vehicles in the US. Ship your FXDF here, ride and ship it back to the UK. No tariffs or import duties.
Yep, I think this is going to be the most cost effective and easiest way to go. Airline staff quote that I if I travel on the same flight as the bike, I will be riding in 2-3 hours after landing once the paperwork is complete and bike is customs cleared.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:54 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,073 Likes on 11,413 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Old_Bill
Yep, I think this is going to be the most cost effective and easiest way to go. Airline staff quote that I if I travel on the same flight as the bike, I will be riding in 2-3 hours after landing once the paperwork is complete and bike is customs cleared.
wow, flying with your bike down in cargo could get expensive. More common is to ship your bike via surface vessel across the Atlantic and then fly to the states after it arrives at a dock.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:09 PM
The_Old_Bill
Cruiser

Originally Posted by upflying
wow, flying with your bike down in cargo could get expensive. More common is to ship your bike via surface vessel across the Atlantic and then fly to the states after it arrives at a dock.
Your right, but with surface freight (sea freight) there is no guarantee that the bike will arrive on the requested date. There are stories all over the net, where riders have arrived for the start of their trips and being informed that their bikes are still in transit. Depending on the time of year, and where the ship is heading, sea freight from UK to States can take 6-8 weeks (even longer) Air Freight is very expensive, but at least it is very quick, and your not without your bike for a long period of time.

I had a 20ft container full of household furniture shipped from New Zealand to UK about 3yrs ago. It took 3 months to shipped from door to door..

Last edited by The_Old_Bill; 07-28-2018 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 07-28-2018, 05:20 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,466 Likes on 2,982 Posts

OP~

You DO realize that traveling from Las Vegas to Sturgis during late July/mid August that you'll be traveling thru the most inhospitable climate heat wise that the USA has to offer?

Plan on daily temps on 110F, and night temps of 100F. Unless there's a high pressure aloft that squeezes another 10F-20F degrees more...

We have Europeans come to the desert during summertime to "experience" the heat as they don't have this kind of heat at their home country. Germans are notorious for this. They go out to walk around the desolation in heat and are quickly overcome by heat. Every year, lots of tourists are found the following Autumn, usually by coyotes.
Here is a pic I just took in my field. Outside temp is about 80 or so..

EDIT~ Yes, it'll take 6-8 weeks to get your bike from there to here. You'd likely have to come to Long Beach/San Pedro to pick it up, then clear customs. The temperature may rise 1 degree per mile from the water at 70F. This may happen during the first 30 miles inland you travel, then it'll plateau at around 100 give or take. Once you get to Palm Springs, you'll be in "full heat mode." (It get down to 100 at midnight right now.) Las Vegas is 275 miles from the harbor. Once you get past the initial craziness of LA, it'll be vast nothingness for another 200+ miles to Lost Wages. I tell you all this not to scare you, but to prepare you. A "cooling vest" does help, but only for about 10 minutes as it'll be dry by then. Palm Springs is between LA and Vegas, it's currently 107F with a heat index of 116F...

Or, you can ride thru Furnace Creek... (Currently 120F. 6% humidity, heat index 120F.)

Attached Thumbnails Can I do this?-photo208.jpg  

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 07-28-2018 at 05:40 PM. Reason: add'l info
The following users liked this post:
Owner (07-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Can I do this?