General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to expect with a flat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Nighthawk84
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What to expect with a flat?

I have never had a flat on the road, but I am curious as to what to expect and the best reaction to each scenario.. At highway speeds how does a bike react with a front flat? How does it react to a rear flat? What if you are rounding a bend in the road?

Old 08-07-2018, 02:54 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,156 Likes on 3,355 Posts

Oddly enough. I never experienced it in 40 years of riding. But most of that was short runs not long distance like a lot of riders experience in here.
I think the rule of, no sudden control inputs, would be a reasonable approach it when/if it occurs.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:57 PM
elephantrider2
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

curious myself, on this... only been riding for a few years, but no one i know has had
a flat.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,590 Likes on 5,481 Posts

"Flats" are not much of a problem...you can feel the change in handling... and pull over to see what is wrong...flats are usually caused by small road hazards like a nail.

"Blowouts" are a problem...90% of the time they are caused by riding at highway speeds...with an under inflated tire...checking tire pressure every time you ride will help a lot...

If you are really paranoid buy a tire monitoring system.

Blowouts on the back suck...but you can usually make it to the side of the road...to change your shorts.

Blowouts on the front really really suck...and will depend on your riding skill, and some luck on if you stay upright.

Do everything possible not to have a blowout.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,465 Likes on 6,297 Posts

Getting a flat is a lot different than having a blow out.

As infrequent as flats are, blow outs are even more rare.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:02 PM
Nighthawk84
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Getting a flat is a lot different than having a blow out.

As infrequent as flats are, blow outs are even more rare.
Good point, I’m looking more for blow out info.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:05 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Oddly enough. I never experienced it in 40 years of riding. But most of that was short runs not long distance like a lot of riders experience in here.
I think the rule of, no sudden control inputs, would be a reasonable approach it when/if it occurs.
Lucky SOB. I mean that nicely. I've had 2 in the last 2 years, both rear tire. One was in a parking lot, no biggie. The most recent was on the interstate at 80mph. Back end started feeling 'squishy', then it let loose and was like a snake wobbling all over the place.

Best thing to do is just keep your cool. Gently pump the brakes, and guide the bike to a safe stopping place. Don't try to force the bike to go straight, it won't, you have have to kind of let it do it's thing while guiding it to where you want to stop.

I've had plenty of flat tires front and rear on dirt bikes, and they behave kind of sort of similar to a street bike. Generally though, you don't have the added hazard of all the idiots on the road around you.

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

I cant say ive had that happen, what did happen though was when i was 18 i tied my hoodie around my waist and took off on my honda 750. Going about 50 mph it came untied and went straight into the rear wheel. The rear tire fully locked up and i was fish tailing it wildly from one side to the other until i came to a complete stop barely keeping it upright the whole time. Since then i have been completely paranoid about loose things or strings or anything loose on the bike getting stuck in the rear wheel and am over cautious about it.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:21 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Never had a blow out, but I've had 2 punctures one in each, back was the worst, I was doing around 45 and the bike started weaving all over the road managed to slow down and stop without coming off. Front tyre went doing about 30 mph, only knew about it when I slowed down to make a tight turn and the steering became really heavy, thought it was a problem with the steering at first till I saw the flat tyre.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

Expect a rapid redistribution of about 42 PSI of air into the atmosphere.

Quick Reply: What to expect with a flat?