General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting annoyed - Fat Bob repairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 09:45 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Getting annoyed - Fat Bob repairs

My 2014 Fat Bob with about 4000 miles on it has not really caused me any problems, other than a rear brake that has essentially never done anything. The a week ago it blew a fork seal. Now it needs the front brake cylinder rebuilt. Hope this isn't the beginning of a long line of problems. I guess I'm spoiled in that my 13 year old Goldwing has never had any mechanical issues, nor had my 13 year old VFR800, or my 14 year old prior Goldwing, or my 11 year old Wee-Strom, etc. Sorry, but I just had to vent. Repairs are gonna cost $$$.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:59 AM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

These things happen. Some times its a maintenance issue, sometimes its the way we ride or the roads we ride on, other times there are just failures. Like anything mechanical things can fail. My 2016 Ford Flex with 3000km on it died leaving my driveway one day. Had to have it towed to the dealer. Was a fuel pump relay. Then the electric motor for the seat stopped working, now my windshield washer pump is not working....this is a $60k car so it does happen.

as for Harley's, minor things like you are describing you should be able to take care of yourself, a fork seal is an easy fix so is the master cyl rebuild but why do you think it needs to be rebuilt?

Harleys today are much much better in terms of quality then yrs before. I can remember having to go though the whole bike and tighten everything down before and after a ride....you really got to know your bike doing that every ride. Today its much more just get on and go...

If you want to keep costs down, do the work yourself. Owner/mechanic seems to be the norm unless you have deep pockets

Old 09-26-2018, 10:05 AM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a buddy who has a 18 Goldwing and its been in and out of the shop. this is his 4th one in as many years. So anything can have problems. hopefully you will get yours up and rolling soon...Mike

Old 09-26-2018, 10:26 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Remember when you buy a HD you buy it about 1/2 done.
In kit form. They even admit it suggesting you buy the "stage shet to fix it.
They sell it in basic kit form so owners can custom make it they want.
So you are missing the great opportunity to upgrade your bike, so stop complaining!
When you walk in your HD shop you will notice about three walls of custom accessories.
Gleaming Chrome, flashing LED lights, a warehouse of stuff.
The glass counters up front will have most the "stage" BS under glass for you to peer at.
You need at least the stage one kit for bragging rites!
Consider it a privilege your bike broke as they have better springs and things for the upgrade you need.
if you take the time to peruse any HD forum you will see endless threads about "stage 1,2,3, etc etc.
More endless threads about other fixes.
Here is the RAW truth -
Go over to the Wing Forums, you will get bored with them talking about the last trip, the next trip and what do da do what on the bike.
The HD Loyalist here will scream from the ROOF TOPS they all do that and STFU!
Now in truth, I own both kinds of bikes and know how to fix the dam HD so its inherent birth defects will not bother me.
For those with no mechanical upbringing and just want to be kool, you bought the wrong bike .
If you have no mechanical aptitudes you better have a deep wallet to own the HD brand

Here is proof of no stage crap required.
No endless break dwns either.
http://hondaf6b.com/forum.php

http://hondaf6b.com/forum.php?

Last edited by Kingglide549; 09-26-2018 at 10:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
whocares (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 10:27 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Things will happen when you don't actually ride the bike!

Old 09-26-2018, 10:39 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,097 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Meh, it's a Harley...they all do that.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:43 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I know I don't ride the bike enough. It's probably pissed off at me and this is how it's getting its revenge.
Kingsglide549 - Didn't know you only buy a Harley to either work on it or to look cool. I bought my bike because I thought I'd enjoy riding it (I do, when I do).
Would like to be able to work on the bike myself, but age, injuries, time and space make that difficult.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:01 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by warprints
My 2014 Fat Bob with about 4000 miles on it ...................................... Hope this isn't the beginning of a long line of problems
2004 EGC. Horn and radio, that's all I've ever fixed. And you don't have a radio

Old 09-26-2018, 12:59 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

A thousand miles a year? It's falling apart from shear boredom!!! Seriously, though, a bike will develop more problems, especially with soft parts like seals and gaskets, by sitting, unused, than it would if you rode it regularly and often.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:33 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,166 Likes on 2,938 Posts

If it's got **** or tires, sooner or later it's gonna give you trouble..

The following users liked this post:
mazz (09-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Getting annoyed - Fat Bob repairs