General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chaps for cold weather riding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 04:47 PM
druski
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Chaps for cold weather riding?

I'm thinking of buying chaps to use for my commute during the winter months, but not sure if I should buy a pair with a removable insulated liner. Just to give some background, I typically commute early when its dark and I just want to keep my legs warm on the ride in.

I own a pair of overpants, but they are so bulky and touch the pipe way too easily when I stop at a light. I wanted to hear from people who use chaps and find out if they use insulated or non-insulated liners in them and if they do a good job of keeping your legs from freezing or do they mainly just slow the effects of wind?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2018, 04:56 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I've had chaps but I prefer fully lined leather pants.
Mine are large enough to fit over my jeans (or dress pants) but the downside to them is that they are more expensive and they are also quite heavy.
I wear a belt in them and if I plan to have them on for a long time or to walk for any distance I also use my H-D suspenders!

The following 2 users liked this post by 2AMGuy:
druski (11-11-2018), scarey (11-13-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 05:06 PM
druski
Tourer

I imagine the leather pants are nice, but sounds very similar to my overpants (bulky and heavy).

Thanks

Old 11-11-2018, 05:10 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by druski
I'm thinking of buying chaps to use for my commute during the winter months, but not sure if I should buy a pair with a removable insulated liner. Just to give some background, I typically commute early when its dark and I just want to keep my legs warm on the ride in.

I own a pair of overpants, but they are so bulky and touch the pipe way too easily when I stop at a light. I wanted to hear from people who use chaps and find out if they use insulated or non-insulated liners in them and if they do a good job of keeping your legs from freezing or do they mainly just slow the effects of wind?

Thanks
You live in Atlanta. Good to go with plain chaps. Never had lined ones and if I felt the need they would be heated pants which I have. How well and long they work is all about how long you are going to ride. My hands give out long before anything else. Precisely why I have heated riding gear.

BTW, fine looking bike ya got there.

Last edited by nobodyknowsme; 11-11-2018 at 05:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
druski (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

I just bought my first pair of chaps after riding on the street for 35 years. I did it for the same reason you are. I have a 30 minute ride on rural 2 lane roads at 6am with speeds up to 65. Of course the temperature affects how well the chaps work but for my commute at 35 degrees my lower legs are just starting to feel a chill. The best thing I've bought besides the chaps are heated gloves. I rode for an hour today at about 37 degrees but had thermals on under my jeans with the chaps and could have rode for a few more hours. I don't wear the thermals for my morning commute just because of the inconvenience of having to undress ate work.My rule of thumb when I'm working outside on a job or going to be in the cold for any reason is to over dress because it's a lot easier to take off a layer than to wish I had it. If in doubt find chaps with a removable liner and then you have options.

druski (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

I have had chaps for years and they will keep your legs warm and mostly dry to a point. Not going to keep you dry in a down pour as your crotch will get soaking wet and you are messing with 2 zippers,that can be a pain depending where you are at while putting them on.. I also have a pair of leather overpants that I wear with a pair of suspenders,they are warm and will keep you dry but they are bulky .. Good Luck ..

druski (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 05:49 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
I have had chaps for years and they will keep your legs warm and mostly dry to a point. Not going to keep you dry in a down pour as your crotch will get soaking wet and you are messing with 2 zippers,that can be a pain depending where you are at while putting them on.. I also have a pair of leather overpants that I wear with a pair of suspenders,they are warm and will keep you dry but they are bulky .. Good Luck ..
This is pretty much my experience as well. I used chaps as needed for about 40+ years. I bought a pair of leather overpants 2 years ago that I use with suspenders, don't think I've used my chaps since.

druski (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 06:05 PM
druski
Tourer

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I just bought my first pair of chaps after riding on the street for 35 years. I did it for the same reason you are. I have a 30 minute ride on rural 2 lane roads at 6am with speeds up to 65. Of course the temperature affects how well the chaps work but for my commute at 35 degrees my lower legs are just starting to feel a chill. The best thing I've bought besides the chaps are heated gloves. I rode for an hour today at about 37 degrees but had thermals on under my jeans with the chaps and could have rode for a few more hours. I don't wear the thermals for my morning commute just because of the inconvenience of having to undress ate work.My rule of thumb when I'm working outside on a job or going to be in the cold for any reason is to over dress because it's a lot easier to take off a layer than to wish I had it. If in doubt find chaps with a removable liner and then you have options.
for some reason the comment about having the extra layers and peeling them off if you need to, really made it click for me. I think I'll shop for a pair with the liners and then I can figure out if I need the liner in for the commute.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2018, 06:05 PM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

I got a pair from Fox Creek with belt loops. Avoids the hassle of having to belt on the chaps. And you can get into your pockets and take a leak way easier than belted chaps. I think they go on much quicker too

druski (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 06:06 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

If you go with chaps, get them lined. Even chaps can get cold and pass that cold on to your legs. If it's too warm for lined chaps and you still want a little extra, wear long johns. I have owned both lined and unlined chaps, riding suits and other comfort clothes. The lined chaps work much better than the unlined and I never felt they go to the point where they were too much. I prefer the chaps to the others because they are easy to remove and store. Those bulky suits are not so easy to get in and out of and you really need some room to store them.
When I bought my "lined" chaps, I bought plain chaps from a local leather shop and had them sew on a lining. The end result was much cheaper and much more personalized, in the fit dept. than an I could have bought off the shelf.

The following 2 users liked this post by pbsdaddy:
druski (11-11-2018), nytryder (11-15-2018)

Quick Reply: Chaps for cold weather riding?