General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luxury or Hobby or What

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by TWilson_
Why lift a truck? Why drive a fast car? Why eat a steak instead of a salad?

Because we live in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and that's what FREEDOM is for!

(Disclaimer: I did not look at everyone's location...just mine and the OP)
And for those of you who don't....riding a motorcycle is what freedom feels like every day.
And just think I didn’t know what freedom was till I moved from Australia to America

Holleeee shitz
Wiz 🙄

Old 11-26-2018, 06:08 PM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TWilson_
Why lift a truck? Why drive a fast car? Why eat a steak instead of a salad?

Because we live in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and that's what FREEDOM is for!

(Disclaimer: I did not look at everyone's location...just mine and the OP)
And for those of you who don't....riding a motorcycle is what freedom feels like every day.
Ya know, I don't feel all that "free" when I ride. There's all these pesky traffic rules to follow. Stay in this lane. Don't turn here. And for God's sake, don't go too fast (generally not too much of a problem on a Harlie). That doesn't feel so "free" to me. And then there's the rule enforcement droids. Cops. Lots of cops. Heck, even the few times I've been on a race track with a suitable bike, there are still rules to follow. You're welcome to go fast but there are rules none the less.

Now, having said (typed?) that, the most freedom I've ever had in a semi-rational activity is when I would white water kayak. Living here in Northern Colorado there were many choices. And depending on your skill level you could pick a river/run that would range from merely "fun" to absolutely hiney hole puckering. Your choice. Just put the boat in the water and head down stream. No rules, no cops, no nothin'. Just you and the forces generated by Mother Nature's flowing water.

I dunno where that came from but it's cold outside and my boating days are well behind me. At age 70 I no longer crave the adrenaline rush and the wear and tear on my shoulders is very real. Anyhoo, for "freedom", so far as I'm concerned there is absolutely, positively nothing like white water kayaking.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:23 PM
TWilson_
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have never done any white water rafting, but I will agree that the most freedom I have felt is outside in nature without any engines or technology. Pretty incredible what God gave us out there, I’d say!

Granted, being on a motorcycle, outside the city with few rule enforcers, making loud noises and ignoring our cell phones...that feels pretty good too.

Being only 27, I’m often envious of the world a lot of you grew up in. (I’m not calling anybody old, just wise and frankly better people than my own generation). My dad will forever have better stories than me because of those pesky rules you speak of now.

Last edited by TWilson_; 11-26-2018 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sailmotion (11-27-2018)