General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Retirement Location For Riders

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 10:43 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
TN has been in top 3 fastest population growth states for 3 years now. Property values in many areas have doubled. Knoxville area, Traffic has become horrible, its over crowded, rent up 61% in two years. I-40 and I-75 have more traffic than they can handle. Traffic jams on both every day, pre covid 90% of the time it was smooth sailing on them.

In five years, if you want to go from Chicago to Pensacola it'll be faster to go to Memphis first and head straight south then east.

There is no plan to alleviate traffic through Nashville or Chattanooga for that matter which is even worse. People though are still moving here in droves.

Old 12-14-2022, 10:47 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,740 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Phideux
I can retire in 4yrs, we are going overseas, we have family in Bucharest and in Sardinia, we are going to live in Sardinia and visit Romania. I think I am going to leave a bike in both places. The riding over there is awesome. Romania has the Trans Alpina and the Transfaragassen. Both awesome roads through the Carpathian Mountains. Beautiful scenery, plus they make the Dragon look like a walk around the block.
I'll bet it ain't as good as US 90 from Lake City Florida to Starke!

Old 12-14-2022, 10:49 AM
sherob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,883 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333

The following 3 users liked this post by sherob:
6113_ (12-14-2022), Pantera99 (12-15-2022), Stiggy (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 12:01 PM
Phideux
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
All those switchbacks and curves through the Florida Mountains, Intimidating, above my skill level.

The following 3 users liked this post by Phideux:
603Hog (12-15-2022), 6113_ (12-14-2022), sherob (12-14-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 06:19 AM
603Hog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,078 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by Ytcoinshooter
I like discussions like this. No Argument - as everyone has a different situation and family ties. But in retirement perspective can be different. The OP is probably considering more than just riding.

1) saving on taxes and cost of living. Example - If we pulled out of CT and made our FL residence our domicile we’d net 12-14K a year immediately.

2) climate - battling the weather, season affected disorders, Raynaud’s disease - I have both. I’d rather be on the beach or poolside than blowing snow. Just sitting under the carport drinking beer watching the geckos after a ride, listening to the engine tick as it cools is good therapy.
2a) exploring new areas.

3) continuing to remain more active than wintertime climates allow. Not everyone does or can enjoy the outdoors in winter. Myself I cannot chance walking on ice, skiing, skating etc due to both of my complete hip replacements before age 50. I’m 66 now. I can hike, motorcycle, bicycle, swim but no icy slip and falls.

4) wintertime home heating fuel costs. That’s obvious. Sure electric is high for A/C say in FLORIDA in the summer but not in November - April. My current FL Duke electric bill is $35. that house isn’t burning electricity heating or cooling this time of year. Our home in the cold climate is set to 58°, oil heat, we also drain down the water lines before we split.

5) having a place - open door where family is welcome to visit and warm up if they can get away.

Above: Just an example of the considerations when retirement is on the horizon. We now chose to stay in the northeast 8 months where our roots, our paid off home and most of the immediate family is located. My mother is south FL, where my folks moved to in 1989 upon retirement. Their friends - many bought in the same area and continued all the social stuff they did here. Mom is frail and 4 1/2 hours away when we are in FL.
Well we are packing now to drive south before January. It is a different world when the ice and snow are left behind. Flights to Caribbean locations are reasonable out of FL. To us retirement is about doing fun stuff year round.
Just my 10¢ here
Like you, I have many reasons for wanting to move to a warm climate after retirement. Pretty much the same as the reasons you stated. I hate, despise the cold and snow. It brings me absolutely no joy. The pathetically short hours of daylight during the winter makes it worse. I am basically a hermit during the winter. The heating bills and property taxes are insane, and the general cost of living is nuts compared to many warm weather states. My wife's and my retirement incomes will go a lot further in one of those states compared to here. I want to be active year round after I retire, as we all know, being house bound and inactive in our later years is bad. I like the idea of my money going further, being able to stay active year round, not dealing with snow, or not having to dress like I am going on an Arctic expedition just to go outside for 20 minutes, all sounds very appealing to me. Being able to ride year round is a bonus, but certainly not my main reason for not wanting to stay here.

Last edited by 603Hog; 12-15-2022 at 06:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ytcoinshooter (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 07:54 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,966 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by M Oclaf
the government didn’t tell you where to live, you volunteered. Major difference, outside that good reply about how everyone has different situations. Some folks don’t have this option.
While I did volunteer to serve the Navy, I did not have a choice on where the Navy made me live. For example there were lots of Navy ships in Charleston where I would have loved to live, but they sent me to New London CT, where I did not want to be. Then there were lots of Ships in Mayport FL where I wanted to be, and I got sent to Norfolk VA, the Navy base I hoped I would never go to. So yes, Navy told me where I was going to live.

Everybody's situation is different. Had some Folks from MI retire and move to my street. They love the low cost home, low cost of living and so on. 2 years later they sold and went back to MI. She hated being away from grand kids.

Old 12-15-2022, 08:06 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,966 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by 6113_
In five years, if you want to go from Chicago to Pensacola it'll be faster to go to Memphis first and head straight south then east.

There is no plan to alleviate traffic through Nashville or Chattanooga for that matter which is even worse. People though are still moving here in droves.
They are still trying to fix that cluster F*** I-75 & I-24 junction it Chattanooga. It's always backed up From the GA/TN State line to Chattanooga. There is no plan to improve I-24 between they KY line and Chattanooga, There is no plan to improve I-40 between Nashville and Sevierville. Not only is there no plan, the Governor has stated there is no funding for improving the roads with out Tolls or Tax increase which he wants neither. And yet people keep flocking here.

I'm 42 miles from West Knoxville. Use to be 45 minute ride or drive, up there weekly. All these transplants are changing my way of life. Its now anywhere from an hour to 1.5 hours or more. Not worth it to fight the traffic, so I am rarely up there.

Old 12-15-2022, 12:16 PM
LOTO
Cruiser
Received 268 Likes on 106 Posts

Been living in Missouri for the last 23 years and really like it here but getting closer to retirement and we are closing on a second home in Hot Springs Village in Arkansas next month. Prices and taxes are very reasonable and Ouachita Mountains are not as impressive as the Smokies but lots of good riding in that area

Last edited by LOTO; 12-15-2022 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sherob (12-15-2022)