General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:46 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFish
There have been several studies that show a poorly fitting helmet negates the protective value of the helmet.
Absolutely. A correctly-fitting helmet snugly encases the head. It becomes a protective outer 'skull' which absorbs impact and spreads out the forces. It doesn't allow the head to move within the helmet and strike the inside on impact. A loose or poorly fitting helmet can allow the head to move inside the helmet on impact; basically becoming a wall of sorts for the skull to impact. It's better than no protection, but far from ideal. There's also an enhanced risk of helmet loss when poor-fitting helmets are worn and involved in a wreck.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:43 PM
Eborjas
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

I wear a full face and ride with people that don't. If someone goes down I will not laugh and point. I will help. It doesn't matter to me. No one goes out expecting to crash. We go out expecting the wind, the turns, the sounds.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:25 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

It's always good to ask the source to quantify when they quote a percent.

If there was one, and now there are two, that's a "100% increase", and it seems like people, the press, like to play with numbers in order to make things appear the way that want them to appear.

"The estimates indicate that the change in Florida’s helmet law increased motorcycle rider deaths. The impact on all motorcycle rider deaths is strongest, 48.6%. Controlling for travel miles reduces the estimate to 38.2%, and correcting for the motorcycle registration trend reduces the estimate to only 21.3%. Restricting the analysis to adults reduces the previous estimates only slightly."

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/do.../AJPH.94.4.556

So ... 300% is highly overstated.