General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dedicated Navigation or Smartphone Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,581 Likes on 3,828 Posts

My smartphone does not get lost in and around tall buildings like my old dedicated Garmen system. Out in country and even WV, phone can suck unless you climb a tree or are on top of the mountain. Then again, there, there usually only two ways to go.? Haaaa.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-12-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:39 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Cell signal is not required for phone navigation. There are so many people that are totally wrong in thinking that it does. I don't know what the comment regarding weather is about.

As for as the last sentence, it shows your youth, inexperience, or both.
In Cape Breton it rained so hard we sat out the day in Baddeck. Zumo stayed in its mount on my handlebars

65 years old; 30 states, 6 provinces, Italy, 2 Sturgis trips.....explore backroads in NW USA/BC every summer

Old 02-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,581 Likes on 3,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Cell signal is not required for phone navigation. There are so many people that are totally wrong in thinking that it does. I don't know what the comment regarding weather is about.

As for as the last sentence, it shows your youth, inexperience, or both.
How bout old. So I can switch phone to mobile data off and it will still navigate?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-12-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:27 PM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
a GPS navigation system will never leave you stranded when there’re no cell reception.....it depends where you are going..
I use an old tried and true Garmin 60CSX for off roading in the nowhere. Cell phones do not work.

I use my smartphone around those remote areas on civilized roads and it does work. The nav system in my truck is poor compared to my smartphone. For a bike, in the limited travels I have been, the smartphone works fine. Those creepy turds at Google know what they are doing.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:09 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,351 Likes on 6,264 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
How bout old. So I can switch phone to mobile data off and it will still navigate?
If you have a navigation program that stores maps locally or have downloaded the relevant parts of google maps locally to your phone, yes. Positioning is provided via GPS satellites. The map is where the data comes in but if you use a app like Garmin USA or others that store the map on the phone then you do not need a cell signal at all.

Weather will not affect GPS navigation.

What I do is leave the phone in my pocket as I don't like distractions. If I am in a remote area and have to switch to reserve, I stop, pull my phone out to find where the nearest gas station is as it is possible it might be behind me although it could be ahead.

I had tried riding with my phone mounted in view but didn't like the distraction.

FWIW, I work for a surveying company. GPS is very integral to most of the work we do. When we are doing positioning, we always track at least eight satellites at a time but often it is twelve plus we have our own proprietary corrections system. In addition to GPS, our receivers also have GLONASS capability.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:37 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
a GPS navigation system will never leave you stranded when there’re no cell reception.....it depends where you are going..
Google Maps on your phone does offline maps. Downloads your route and works weather you have a cell signal or not. Been like that for a long time. Phone... Google Maps all the way.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:48 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 288 Likes on 154 Posts

Ditto on the copilot app.
It is a paid app but you only pay once.
All maps reside on your phone.
Upgraded maps are free.
Best $29 I ever spent on GPS.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:48 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

A true can of worms where everybody is right.

At least once, for a spell...