General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer suitable for hauling bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 08:39 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

I have a similar set up but a bit bigger. My trailer is 15' including tongue and tandem axles. I have a ramp exactly like the one in your picture. You're going to have to weld another brace in the ramp in the center if you have a heavy bike. A heavy bike will take a toll on that expanding metal with the bike tires between the braces.
If you look close at Neggy ZRXOA 5248's pictures, you can see his trailer ramp is modified to prevent this.

The smaller wheels will make it but require more maintenance plus the tires will wear faster. 15" wheels would be much better plus the axle would probably be rated for higher load capacity. my axles are rated for 3500 lbs each I'd advise putting bearing buddies on the hubs and keep them greased. I run them on all my small trailers.

A wheel chock is a good investment. To me it's a requirement.

I mounted an aluminum tool box on the tongue of mine to carry a 4-way lug wrench, floor jack, tie down straps, a few tools and a some other things.

High center can be a problem on that short of a ramp. As mentioned above, you can cheat a bit using the tongue jack with the trailer still hooked to the ball and a board under the back of the ramp. My RK would HC if I didn't do these things. Or find a curb, low spot, etc to load and unload.

The following users liked this post:
Steve Sportster (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:53 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Here's one with 15" wheels and 2x8 floorboards:

https://www.usa-trailer.com/2018-gol...gNg%7Cipe.html

Steve Sportster (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:51 PM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Many thanks to all of you who have contributed your thoughts and experience. The forum is great because of all the members like you.

I went to a nearby trailer shop today and spoke with the owner and looked at some different models. He is also a Harley Davidson owner. I also spoke in-depth with my brother-in-law who now lives in FL and hauled his touring HD back and forth from IN to FL and back several times.

Here's where I'm at:
>5x10 trailer with 15" tubeless radial wheels and 2x6 treated lumber bed that is already well attached to trailer frame. Costs about $250 more than one in original post.
>Bought a Harbor Freight wheel chock today. The decent one, not the tubular cheap one. Will be bolted through 2/6 treated floor boards once I figure final position.
>I have a relatively high driveway curb for loading/unloading at home. May make ramp reinforcement/extenders if needed.
>My vehicle jack will work if needed. I also have mini compressors for the bike and the vehicle as well as repair kits for flats. I also carry spare tubes for bike on trips (spoke wheels). I also have AMA towing insurance as well as private insurance that covers the bike and trailer.
>I already have numerous ratchet type tie down straps that I use to secure the bike when on my small jack/lift.
>Will probably put some reflective tape on trailer rails. Good tips on bearing care from you and my brother-in-law.
>Above straps will be secured to trailer side rails with heavy duty eye bolts once I figure final position.

I will probably buy the trailer Friday March 1 since it will be a bit warmer. This will give me plenty of time to get it rigged properly and try it out locally before the late March trip to Branson to meet daughter and her family for their spring break trip from northern Illinois.

Thanks again to all!

Old 02-28-2019, 07:16 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 793 Likes on 604 Posts

Note: When rolling backwards down a ramp the front wheel has minimal weight so the front brake is not as good as usual.
If ramp has the slightest water or dew the tire can slide due to angle and no weight.
To be clearer the front wheel will lock and bike will just slide.
May wish to consider having bike in gear and using clutch as somewhat of an additional brake on rear wheel. Motor does not need to be running.

The next thing would be to figure-out what to do with trailer both at home and destination.
The port a chopper trailer is expensive but can be placed inside tow vehicle when at destination.
I have a Trailer in Bag but they are not making it anymore.
https://www.discountramps.com/motorc.../p/QCF-PAC-MC/

Steve Sportster (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 07:17 AM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 39,607 Likes on 10,333 Posts

You can never have "too many" proper tie down anchors.
You probably will add others as needs arise.

My 12ft Enclosed
E-Track down both sides
6 2,000# Folding anchors in the floor
3 Removable Pingel wheel chocks.
ALL my fold down anchors have steel backing plates and are secured with Nylon Lock Nuts.

My 18ft Car hauler

Last edited by ShovelEd; 02-28-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Steve Sportster (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 08:21 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I started out hauling my Heritage on a heavy duty 4X8 open trailer.
It pulled great and was easy to strap down.

There is a couple of issues with an open trailer.
The bike is exposed to flying debris thrown up from the tow vehicle and is exposed to the weather.

I don't think unless you are a constant traveler the flying debris is a big concern.
As you can see in my picture I do have 18" enclosed sides and a 14" tire mounted in front center of the trailer both of which does provide some protection.

The exposed to the weather concern is a bit different.
On a trip to South Dakota as "Mallard Slayer" eluded to we encounter some minor hail.
Fortunately we had no damage but when I returned home after that trip I starting shopping for an enclosed trailer.

This is what hauls my Heritage now:

All that being said; storage and funds often dictate the decision that is made.
I still have my open trailer and will likely never get rid of it as it just has so many uses (in addition to hauling a bike).

Ether way you end up going I would recommend a great set of straps.
I've got powertyes and highly recommend them.

Here's an Amazon link to them:
https://www.amazon.com/7ft-Strap-Deluxe-American-Made-Trailer/dp/B00AECF6I0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=fat+daddy+straps&qid=1551363024&s=gateway&sr=8-1 https://www.amazon.com/7ft-Strap-Deluxe-American-Made-Trailer/dp/B00AECF6I0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=fat+daddy+straps&qid=1551363024&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Last edited by Bluraven; 02-28-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:37 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Seems like a decent price but plan on adding some kind of stone shield to the trailer otherwise your bike will get blasted
I'd put a wheel chock in it also. I did this with the same style trailer in the early years of HD ownership. I would strongly advise to get larger tires than those 12".
I have a 4 bike enclosed now, but rambling on about that probably won't help you if you're looking for a low cost alternative for the time being.

Last edited by 2goldens; 02-28-2019 at 08:42 AM.
HiDrag (10-27-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 08:49 AM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 81 Posts

Just an FYI---I got my used Kendon for $1200---check Craigslist in your area. Some were cheaper. I also have a small utility trailer ---says it is good for 1000lbs.---that was given to me by a family member. I don't trust the 12" tires at high speeds with this kind of cargo. Tires say 75 lbs of pressure, so......

Fine for everything else---but not my bikes.

Last edited by 4 inch pistons; 02-28-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:17 AM
hammer6315
HDF Community Team
Received 197 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I started out hauling my Heritage on a heavy duty 4X8 open trailer.
It pulled great and was easy to strap down.

There is a couple of issues with an open trailer.
The bike is exposed to flying debris thrown up from the tow vehicle and is exposed to the weather.

I don't think unless you are a constant traveler the flying debris is a big concern.
As you can see in my picture I do have 18" enclosed sides and a 14" tire mounted in front center of the trailer both of which does provide some protection.

The exposed to the weather concern is a bit different.
On a trip to South Dakota as "Mallard Slayer" eluded to we encounter some minor hail.
Fortunately we had no damage but when I returned home after that trip I starting shopping for an enclosed trailer.

This is what hauls my Heritage now:

All that being said; storage and funds often dictate the decision that is made.
I still have my open trailer and will likely never get rid of it as it just has so many uses (in addition to hauling a bike).

Ether way you end up going I would recommend a great set of straps.
I've got powertyes and highly recommend them.

Here's an Amazon link to them:
https://www.amazon.com/7ft-Strap-Del...gateway&sr=8-1
That is an attractive trailer indeed! What brand is it? Thank you!

Old 02-28-2019, 09:51 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
The smaller the tires the faster they turn at any given speed...I would want at least 15"wheel on any trailer I was hauling long distances...
Agree. The trailer in the OP's picture with 12" wheels will haul any touring bike, but with important reservations. Many do not realize that trailer tires are speed rated for maximum MPH. Larger wheel diameters have higher speed ratings. Typically a 12" wheel is rated at 45-65 mph with average load. Going much faster than that will likely result in tire failure. Especially on a hot day. Best advice is to get the biggest wheels that fit the trailer and high rated quality tires. However, just make sure the trailer's specifications allow for the larger wheel size.

warprints (02-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Trailer suitable for hauling bike?