General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer suitable for hauling bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 02:19 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by hammer6315
That is an attractive trailer indeed! What brand is it? Thank you!
It's a 2000 Excalibur.
Unfortunately they went out of business I believe in 2007.

Iron Horse trailers makes a similar model but they are very pricey.
I picked up my Excalibur about 4 years ago for I believe $2400.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:27 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

A thought about ratchet straps. Make sure you have the full S type hooks, not those that look a bit like a J. The S hooks with some type of lock on them is the best. If you don't have that, then I would put a couple wraps of electrical tape around to "close" the open part of the S. If you happen to hit a bad bump and the bike suspension compresses, the taped or locking S hooks won't / can't unhook. Been there, done that.

The following users liked this post:
Steve Sportster (03-04-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 02:45 PM
pomeara
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It was mentioned before but when that plywood gets wet it will be an ice rink. I had a hell of time getting a Fat Boy into a semi rusty wheel chock one time thanks to some morning dew on the wood. A little heavy duty grip tape would have been nice

Steve Sportster (03-04-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 05:06 PM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Exactly what I had (5x10 landscape). I added a wheel chock and It towed my 03 Fatboy across country from New England to Phoenix without a problem. I bought mine used in 2004 for $600 and sold it when I got to Phoenix for $700 so it paid for itself. I did add a front shield. I took a 48" X 30" folding table and drilled a few holes on both ends and bolted it to the front rails with wing nuts so it served as a bug shield and I could take it off and use it when camping if needed. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with a stronger 15" axle, Definitely carry a spare tire and extra wheel bearing because I threw a dust cap somewhere in the middle of the country and glad I caught it in time or I would have fried the axle. I would also coat the floor with non skid paint and add in LED lighting if you can. The ramp worked great. All in all If I ever had to do it again, I will buy an enclosed trailer.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:05 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,994 Likes on 2,188 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallard Slayer
its been my experience that those smaller tires go south fast!! I have a boat trailer that had 13" wheels and couldn't keep tires on it! so after doing some research I upgraded to 14" because I could get 8 ply's for it in 14" plus didn't have to alter fender size, where anything in the 12" & 13" range where light duty!! those 12" wheels at highway speed are really turning!! on those utility trailers they usually only screw the deck boards about every two cross members I have found that by drilling some holes and placing bolts in the ones they don't makes the trailer much more ridged also! just my two cents!!
Ditto

Old 03-01-2019, 08:07 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,434 Likes on 2,969 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Sportster
Thinking really hard about buying a low-cost trailer to haul my bike. Riding to Branson, MO in late March and to SW FL in April is iffy weather-wise from here in northeast IN. Found a new AMO trailer for $825 locally. 5/10" wood bed, 12" tires, rated for 2000 lbs, spring suspension, 12" side rails, mesh gate; 2" ball setup. What do you think?
That should work great, AND you can use that trailer for other projects when not used for your moto's. Win-win.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:14 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Steve, a buddy has a trailer just like the one you pictured, but with 2 axles. I used it in December to haul my bike 125 miles to a stereo installer. No problem with the gate, and riding up onto it or backing off of it, but without a front wheel chock I was a nervous wreck the whole trip. Bike was strapped down & secure, but I was still a bundle of nerves. I went the 125 miles to pick it up in early Feb, but this time I rented a U Haul motorcycle trailer with a chock in the front, and it was a whole lot better trip. Much more secure, and I sure felt better about that trip

. Just my opinion on the flatbed trailer with no front wheel chock.

Steve Sportster (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 09:23 AM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,129 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Steve, a buddy has a trailer just like the one you pictured, but with 2 axles. I used it in December to haul my bike 125 miles to a stereo installer. No problem with the gate, and riding up onto it or backing off of it, but without a front wheel chock I was a nervous wreck the whole trip. Bike was strapped down & secure, but I was still a bundle of nerves. I went the 125 miles to pick it up in early Feb, but this time I rented a U Haul motorcycle trailer with a chock in the front, and it was a whole lot better trip. Much more secure, and I sure felt better about that trip

. Just my opinion on the flatbed trailer with no front wheel chock.
That looks identical to my trailer. I have a wheel chock in mine that is easily removed if needed.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:52 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure your bike won't bottom out at top of ram,.better off with dovetail trailer

Last edited by durtyburt; 03-01-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:29 AM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Got a HF chock, tried it out in garage and it works well with the Heritage. Had a concern about hitting the trail of the front fender, but it clears fine. Looked into neighborhood covenants and can't store it at home. Daughter's boyfriend owns a construction business and a small golf course within 20 miles. He will let me store it there when not in use (most of the time). Waiting to pick it up for a couple of weeks until it warms up a bit. Will be doing some of the mods mentioned above including non-slip paint or sealant and non-slip tape strips, eyelets for S-type hooked straps and chock mounting. Thanks again to all.

Quick Reply: Trailer suitable for hauling bike?