General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 Oil migration transmission to inner primary

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 12:46 PM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
This issue should have been caught in the Product development test lab if it's really an issue.
We are the Product development lab !

Old 03-11-2019, 01:31 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Fixed ?

Mine was supposed to be fixed under warranty as it was first documented at the 1000 mile service...It had 48 oz in the primary. When it went in for the clutch recall, they worked on it and said it was fixed but I haven't ridden it much since then because of the weather. And yes, it was the high speed touring that caused the transfer on my bike. As a result, I believe the MoCo installed a fat rod in the trans which needed the trans door to be eased in order to work.
We will see if it really fixed or not when the weather clears this spring.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:51 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

Best of luck to all you M8 guys... I hope all is well and everyone goes 150k before any rebuilding is needed.

I’ll test ride one after I get the HP/TQ curve up a bit higher on my 09. I wouldn’t want to get tempted by all that power and end up with a big bike payment.

Enjoy the ride ✌️

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 02:03 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Hairy Larry
I purchased the Fix from $tonecold but decided not to install it. If anyone is interested give me a PM.
PM sent

Old 03-12-2019, 06:41 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Interesting 1st post, welcome to the forum. Are you going to keep us informed? Did you transfer fluids during the ride home? Shame you didn't register for an Iron Butt award and go 50 more miles in that one day trip.
What a stupid reply.
It probably would not have mattered if he'd had 1000 posts.
Still would have been flamed by a few...........

Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 AM
slinkglide
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone have updated information on what the cure for this PIA HD failure is? Fat clutch rod, deflector kit, wiper gasket, oil slinger, primary vent kit? My brand new '19 SGS migrated 10 oz of oil from trans to primary between 1000 and 3,600 miles and then dropped down again to bottom of cross hatch on stick between 4,00 and 5,100 miles. It has been sitting at the dealer for eight days now due to the MOCO being illogical about this trial and error B.S. method of measuring oil, adding and subtracting oil trial and error nonsense and hoping it stops migrating. The problem in my situation is I am getting ready to leave on a 5K plus trip to the Midwest from S. Diego and really can't accept that I will need to continuously monitor the trans oil level on a brand new 30K plus $$$ motorcycle. Looking for recommendations because there is so much conflicting info about this condition on the internet. The Svc Mgr going above and beyond to get the MOCO to provide remedy is the only good part of this situation. He thinks putting the wiper gasket over the end of the clutch push rod will remedy. Continuing to ride the bike out of the local area without a remedy is unacceptable to me. Hoping someone out there has an update.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:06 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Guess I've been lucky so far. Just under 25,000 miles on my '17 SGS. I've been known to ride fast occasionally for prolonged periods of time. The day after last Labor Day, I probably averaged close to 80mph from Atlanta to St. Louis. There were prolonged periods of triple digits on that run.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 862 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by slinkglide
Hoping someone out there has an update.
Had the inner primary vent installed last week on my '19 Limited. I've only ridden 700 miles since but the trans level hasn't moved. Before the install it would suck the dipstick dry on one tank.

I think they found the answer even though this is the third year for the M8.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:30 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,505 Likes on 2,484 Posts

That's the only thing keeping me from buying an M8...well, that, & I love my '07 too much. And I don't wanna spend the $$.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:46 PM
llwindjr
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine primary vent on my 2017 done in Nov 2018 now has 1800 miles no migration. Unfortunately unless you check fluids all the time yourself you may not know you have an issue. Since it does not seem to be every M8 motor does this Harley will not issue a general recall or bulliten took me allot of bitching to get a Harley factory tech to come out and fix, mine was one of the first 5 he had done

Quick Reply: M8 Oil migration transmission to inner primary