General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley a no-show at Laughlin River Run

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 07:20 AM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Harley a no-show at Laughlin River Run

Since I live in Las Vegas I typically ride down to the Laughlin River Run on the first or second day and do demo rides. Harley is always there plus at least a couple others. Last year I spent the morning riding new HD's and the new Goldwing. This year only Indian was there. I was super surprised that Harley wasn't as this event, like most others, is like 99.9% Harley. I'm not sure if it's because this event has lost it's pull or if the MoCo is saving money but it was odd and disappointing.

Top Answer

04-27-2019, 10:10 AM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 700 Likes on 399 Posts

As much as the motorcycles change, the MOCO could get away with sending paint swatches.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:48 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Years ago I had a friend that owned a Texaco gas station. One day he was complaining that his business has been dropping off, so I asked him how much advertising he does. He said advertising was expensive and he couldn't afford to advertise. When I said to him you know everybody knows about and has heard of Mcdonald's, but they still advertise. His reply was "They have more money then me". I said, exactly. But he didn't get the point I was trying to make. Well it wasn't much after that when he had to shut it down. If Harley has any real hope of getting back in the motorcycle business they need to be at every mom and pop event, showing off what they make and reinvent themselves. Just hoping one day everything will be better, lets your competition get a better position in a shrinking market.,,

The following 4 users liked this post by big cahuna:
Bishop73 (04-30-2019), mrmarklin (04-28-2019), twoglides13 (04-27-2019), vistavette (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 08:00 AM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Years ago I had a friend that owned a Texaco gas station. One day he was complaining that his business has been dropping off, so I asked him how much advertising he does. He said advertising was expensive and he couldn't afford to advertise. When I said to him you know everybody knows about and has heard of Mcdonald's, but they still advertise. His reply was "They have more money then me". I said, exactly. But he didn't get the point I was trying to make. Well it wasn't much after that when he had to shut it down. If Harley has any real hope of getting back in the motorcycle business they need to be at every mom and pop event, showing off what they make and reinvent themselves. Just hoping one day everything will be better, lets your competition get a better position in a shrinking market.,,
I have a similar conversation with business owners in my industry, many of them don't get it at all.

HD not coming to Laughlin was a big surprise...and it's not a tiny event either, unless you're using Sturgis or Daytona as a comparison.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:23 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
I have a similar conversation with business owners in my industry, many of them don't get it at all.

HD not coming to Laughlin was a big surprise...and it's not a tiny event either, unless you're using Sturgis or Daytona as a comparison.
I don't know the rallies compare across the country, but I attend The Lone Star Rally in Galveston, TX every year. It doesn't compare to Sturgis or Daytona, but it's pretty big. Anyway, H-D has been a no-show for the past couple of years, which I thought was a little disappointing. I have been noticing more TV advertising as of late, though.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:26 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,211 Likes on 11,120 Posts

I think they were a no show at IMS as well.
http://www.motorcycleshows.com/

Last edited by upflying; 04-27-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:59 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

When you're bleeding profusely, you must prioritize.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:06 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

I have not seen them at Laconia for a while.

One year they set up at a dealer in Concord NH rather than come up to the beach

Drag Specialties has been a no show for a while too,

Cripes most bike /biker vendors are no shows at Laconia

But if you want "support wear", cell phones, beef jerky, massage chairs, magic sunglass cleaners, or event tee shirts and pins.... those you can find

And now you know why I don't go anymore.

I see more motorcycle related vendors including dealerships at Cape Coral bike night, Fort Myers Bike Night, and Motorcycle Night in Lowell MA.

Face it guys.. we are no longer the MoCo's preferred customer.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:15 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I am surprised that they do not offer incentives to nearby dealers to attend and support these shows. It is a common practice in many industries. Usually it is a good situation for both the dealer and manufactured. Dealer gets support for space and hiring/paying extras or overtime and closes sales. Manufacturer gets exposure, can run special deals to move inventory, and does not have costs associated with shipping display and stock, manning the booth except for perhaps sending a factory rep, and strengthens relationship with dealership.

So the gas station story makes sense. Many of us who care wonder what the fu(k the current leadership is doing. It is like they have no strategic plan.

The following 3 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
Geoff (05-01-2019), Tired (04-27-2019), vistavette (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 09:29 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,457 Likes on 1,694 Posts

"Face it guys.. we are no longer the MoCo's preferred customer."

Agreed. But I can't figure out who the preferred customer is nowadays. I don't see the design appeal or price point or advertising targeting any specific customer group.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:35 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
When you're bleeding profusely, you must prioritize.
Exactly right. Harley should be applying tourniquets not band-aids. Fix the problems that really matter don't just keep coming out with new models after new models which are nothing more than new versions of the old scene. Or taking a motorcycle that runs moderately well enough to sell then offering the customer progressively higher upgrade modifications to make it run marginally better. That pretty much shows what the company thinks the average customers gullibility level is.

The following users liked this post:
Walter White (04-29-2019)

Quick Reply: Harley a no-show at Laughlin River Run