General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in rain. Where do you draw the line?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 09:09 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

I've ridden in the rain many, many times. Really doesn't bother me.

A couple of things though.

1) I must have a windshield and glasses on. Plus leather gloves with soft leather on the fingers to wipe water off the glasses every few seconds.......Or I must have a full face helmet with leather gloves to wipe the face shield off every few seconds. If I can't see where I'm going, I'm not riding. Tried riding in the rain a couple of times with no eye protection and I can't see.

2) I ride in the rain and I ride at night. Both alot. But I can't ride both in the rain and at night. I can't see the street lines with water on the road at night.

Just my .02 and small contribution to the thread.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:17 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,371 Likes on 10,711 Posts

Originally Posted by 01dyna
I've ridden in the rain many, many times. Really doesn't bother me.

A couple of things though.

1) I must have a windshield and glasses on. Plus leather gloves with soft leather on the fingers to wipe water off the glasses every few seconds.......Or I must have a full face helmet with leather gloves to wipe the face shield off every few seconds. If I can't see where I'm going, I'm not riding. Tried riding in the rain a couple of times with no eye protection and I can't see.

2) I ride in the rain and I ride at night. Both alot. But I can't ride both in the rain and at night. I can't see the street lines with water on the road at night.

Just my .02 and small contribution to the thread.
That works for you? I found it to smear the dirt. ???

Also, what do you think of putting an absorbent cloth in a windshield bag (I have 1) and then use that to wipe off the water and dirt? Huh, I would like to try that. Your thoughts?

Old 05-18-2019, 09:33 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
That works for you? I found it to smear the dirt. ???

Also, what do you think of putting an absorbent cloth in a windshield bag (I have 1) and then use that to wipe off the water and dirt? Huh, I would like to try that. Your thoughts?

The soft leather doesn't smear, and the windshield catches most everything. Just the under current coming up from the gas tank.

I've never tried an absorbent cloth.

I've driven through complete downpours many times and even a flash flood in Witchta KS with yhe ole lady on board. Just cruise on through and keep your lenses relatively clean.

Back when I was wearing a full face helmet I'd just wipe my hand across the face shield every so often. Never had a problem maintaining visual of the road.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:45 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,371 Likes on 10,711 Posts

Originally Posted by 01dyna

The soft leather doesn't smear, and the windshield catches most everything. Just the under current coming up from the gas tank.

I've never tried an absorbent cloth.

I've driven through complete downpours many times and even a flash flood in Witchta KS with yhe ole lady on board. Just cruise on through and keep your lenses relatively clean.

Back when I was wearing a full face helmet I'd just wipe my hand across the face shield every so often. Never had a problem maintaining visual of the road.
THX for the trouble of getting the PIX.

I wear the gloves the military combat pilots use and I think that is soft leather. That would be easy to just put my hand to my goggles or face shield. Huh....... Why would leather work? Odd......... OH, I just remembered, I did try a rag and that cleaned the goggles but it was the FOG issues that was driving me CRAZY!!!!!

Re: fogging, I tried MANY MANY MANY anti-fog stuff and saliva/spit as well as spit in a bottle, none worked well. And had to reapply a LOT like constantly. Even Rainx did not make me a happy boy.

I found lifting the goggles OFF the face a little like 1/2" to let air circulate back there to helped but it was not great.

Oddly, what I found 01dyna that worked "ok" or gd 'nuff was to tilt my head down just a little bit so my line of sight is right at where the goggle lens goes into the actual goggle itself. If you like for me to draw a picture of it I would be happy to. But believe it or not I found that little spot between the lens and with the lens enters into the upper part of the frame, does not get fogged. Interesting…

Old 05-18-2019, 09:50 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,360 Likes on 11,173 Posts

If it’s raining or calling for rain...I won’t go out for a ride. But, inevitably on a long night trip we’ll hit it. And it’s bestvto be prepared. HD Hi Viz gear, boot covers, full face shield, water proof gloves, good tires, take it easy in turns, avoid standing water.

During a trip last October we hit record rain and cold in a Texas. It was not comfortable...but we had a schedule. On the return we approached another period of heavy rain...and hunkered out for an extra nite for it to pass.

oh yeah.,.at highway speeds, even with good rain gear...ya eventually get wet. A few choice pictures from this trip:

Last edited by TriGeezer; 05-18-2019 at 09:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 10:01 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,360 Likes on 11,173 Posts

A few more choice pictures from the above trip.

Drying out soggy rain gear, and a chilly morning.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:04 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member

I wear the gloves the military combat pilots use and I think that is soft leather. That would be easy to just put my hand to my goggles or face shield. Huh....... Why would leather work? Odd......... OH, I just remembered, I did try a rag and that cleaned the goggles but it was the FOG issues that was driving me CRAZY!!!!!

Re: fogging, I tried MANY MANY MANY anti-fog stuff and saliva/spit as well as spit in a bottle, none worked well. And had to reapply a LOT like constantly. Even Rainx did not make me a happy boy.

I found lifting the goggles OFF the face a little like 1/2" to let air circulate back there to helped but it was not great.

Oddly, what I found 01dyna that worked "ok" or gd 'nuff was to tilt my head down just a little bit so my line of sight is right at where the goggle lens goes into the actual goggle itself. If you like for me to draw a picture of it I would be happy to. But believe it or not I found that little spot between the lens and with the lens enters into the upper part of the frame, does not get fogged. Interesting…

I would get fog with the full face helmet and I found if I opened the face shield one or two clicks, that would allow enough air inside to clear the fog without letting all the rain in.

My riding glasses do not fog up. Never have.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:28 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,089 Likes on 452 Posts

Have you tried a Pinlock face shield? I had issues with fogging on my previous helmets (Bell modular and HJC 3/4). Last year I got a Shoei Neotec and it came with a Pinlock insert. I have not had issues with fogging at all using it. The part around the Pinlock lens may fog but not the Pinlock area itself.

https://pinlock.com/what-is-a-pinloc...g-insert-lens/

Old 05-18-2019, 10:30 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Me riding in the rain is comparable to seeing Bigfoot, you wont see either. Makes me nervous. My mind sees the road as slick and I tense up. That will only lead to an accident. I have no desire to get hurt, hurt my wife, or hit anyone. Call me a wouse if you like, but do you want the likes of me riding with you?

Old 05-18-2019, 10:31 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,589 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Why is it that while riding in the rain or cold isn't nearly as bad as starting a ride under the same conditions?

Quick Reply: Riding in rain. Where do you draw the line?