General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in rain. Where do you draw the line?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 10:48 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,411 Likes on 10,717 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboydoc
Have you tried a Pinlock face shield? I had issues with fogging on my previous helmets (Bell modular and HJC 3/4). Last year I got a Shoei Neotec and it came with a Pinlock insert. I have not had issues with fogging at all using it. The part around the Pinlock lens may fog but not the Pinlock area itself.

https://pinlock.com/what-is-a-pinloc...g-insert-lens/
Thank you my friend but I am quite familiar with that. I only like a few helmets and there isn't a Pinlock for mine. THAT would be a GREAT answer. I understand the military uses Pinlock.

Once I thought I found a universal pinlock, 1 that fits ANY helmet and I got all excited and found it is not so. Sadly.

Originally Posted by CVO SG
Me riding in the rain is comparable to seeing Bigfoot, you wont see either. Makes me nervous. My mind sees the road as slick and I tense up. That will only lead to an accident. I have no desire to get hurt, hurt my wife, or hit anyone. Call me a wouse if you like, but do you want the likes of me riding with you?
I and many others would nvr call u a wuss for that CVO SG. You ride a bike? Then no way does the word wuss enter into the picture. As mentioned above, there are some people that just do not like it.

Just as some bikers will not ride Bear Tooth Hwy or Chief Joseph. It does not make them a worse.

I strongly dislike riding on any soft top. Any kind. I do it. But I dislike it oddly enough.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:08 AM
Clayjenson
Tourer
Received 320 Likes on 128 Posts

This thread makes me wanna ride wet with black leather and no windshield at night in the rain

Old 05-19-2019, 05:23 AM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,642 Likes on 2,861 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayjenson
This thread makes me wanna ride wet with black leather and no windshield at night in the rain
pluviophile syndrome!

Old 05-19-2019, 07:22 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboydoc
Have you tried a Pinlock face shield? I had issues with fogging on my previous helmets (Bell modular and HJC 3/4). Last year I got a Shoei Neotec and it came with a Pinlock insert. I have not had issues with fogging at all using it. The part around the Pinlock lens may fog but not the Pinlock area itself.

https://pinlock.com/what-is-a-pinloc...g-insert-lens/
I have a pinlock shield on my Shoei and it really doesn't help much. I have to crack the shield open a notch. I see the new GT Air has a setting to minimize that first click opening. I may look into it.

On gloves - my rain resistant (haven't found rain proof yet) gloves from Olympia have a "wiper" on the forefinger which is nice for clearing away the water. My Held gloves had that as well.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:31 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,411 Likes on 10,717 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I have a pinlock shield on my Shoei and it really doesn't help much. I have to crack the shield open a notch. I see the new GT Air has a setting to minimize that first click opening. I may look into it.

On gloves - my rain resistant (haven't found rain proof yet) gloves from Olympia have a "wiper" on the forefinger which is nice for clearing away the water. My Held gloves had that as well.

I am no expert with the PinLock but tht is the 1st time I heard anyone speak negatively abt it. FWIW Is it on right....maybe that is it?

I have seen the finger wiper blade b4. Seems it may be gd for goggles but too short for face shields???

Lastly, what (if anything) do u do abt fogging? That is my biggest issue.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
I am no expert with the PinLock but tht is the 1st time I heard anyone speak negatively abt it. FWIW Is it on right....maybe that is it?

I have seen the finger wiper blade b4. Seems it may be gd for goggles but too short for face shields???

Lastly, what (if anything) do u do abt fogging? That is my biggest issue.
I hear you on the pinlock. Yes, it's installed properly. Even if it wasn't, it shouldn't matter because installed improperly would allow more air in. And it's a Shoei branded shield as well, so not a cheap knock off. I'm assuming I'm not the only one because Shoei went to the trouble of redesigning their helmets to allow for the micro opening to prevent fogging. Now also bear in mind, I'm talking in colder temps too.

As far as what do I use? Nothing. I tried anti fog spray, wax, dish soap, you name it. Maybe it's my big nose - who knows?

On the wiper - it is small so you go back and forth a few times. It's not as thorough as wiping a full cloth across, but then again, it's more handy. Literally.

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 12:29 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I don't do planned stuff much, cause I have commitment issues. But yesterday upper fortys and light rain. Hundred some miles. Half it kinda sucked for visibility. I like really tall windshields. But there can be downsides. But a ride like that makes your dick feel an inch bigger.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:46 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,863 Likes on 1,356 Posts

I don't start riding in the rain (anymore) but I've ridden through my share over the years. Snow riding is no stranger either but that's another topic. Being from the PNW, I'll ride until I can't see, start to hydroplane or until I get cold enough that I can't keep my muscles relaxed. As noted earlier and as I've said for decades... I don't mind being cold and I don't mind being wet but man... I HATE being cold AND wet. That said, I'm too broke/cheap for the plug-in, heated gear.

On a trip from E.WA to Fargo,ND I pulled off into a sports store in Billings and bought a set of skiing gloves, for the built in wet wiper on the thumb. That worked great for a few more hours... until I could feel my trailer (behind the bike, not under it) start to hydro. At that point, it was time to pull off and find a hotel for the night. I've also found myself waiting it out under a highway over-pass a time or two-dozen.

TwiZted Biker (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 03:44 PM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't mind the rain per se, but I *really* hate cleaning the bike after a rainy ride. I'll skip the ride in rain unless I have to ...

TwiZted Biker (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 03:45 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I'll skip cleaning my bike.

Quick Reply: Riding in rain. Where do you draw the line?